R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #76
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My first hobby grade R/C car was a Monogram Lightning. That had to be somewhere between 1985-1987. I've still got it somewhere.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #77
Tech Regular

Seeing my cousins blackfoot for the first time in the early 80's was the coolest thing I had ever seen, then there was the other Tamiya monster trucks like the clodbuster and the midnight pumpkin. I inherited the Blackfoot about 12 years ago but have no idea what happened to it.......kinda wish I still had it.
BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:52 AM   #78
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My first hobby grade R/C was a Traxxas Hawk 2.After owning (and destroying) a couple Tyco P.O.S cars I bought the Hawk 2.That truck was the one that started the sickness and tought me alot about R/C,most lessons were learned the hard way.

There is no such thing as too much motor....just not enough driver!
Mack_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #79
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here's my second. Tamiya Ford F-150. Really wish I still had this one. Based on the Sand Scorcher/Rough Rider chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Remembering your first RC car!-ford_ranger_2.jpg  
- Mugen MBX6 Alpha F850 -
- Nomadio Sensor - Hitec servos - Panther tires - DE Racing -
sugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #80
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Nostrixoxide

My first RC was a Lobo truck. I remember when my mom brought 2 of them home from sears. She got my older brother & I each one. That thing was so rugged, I remember we used to beat the hell out of those things & they would never break.

My first "Real" RC was a Tamiya Hornet. I remember we went to Simi Hobby & bought it. I was so young back then that I really wasn't able to build it myself. I musta been about 10yrs old when I got it. The owner of the hobby store was a guy named Adam or Alex if I remember correctly???

He was so cool, he actually sat down & helped me build the car. I remember it took us two days to complete the car. & when we were ready to finally drive it, I remember he went into his glass case & pulled out a brand new (black) Trinity monster horsepower motor & installed it in the car. I remember it needed a controller when we bought the kit & my mom got me a Futaba Magnum controller for it. Yes, my mom was cool like that.

Anyway, the coolest thing about my story is while we were there building my car he was finishing up 6 identical RC cars that had Corvette bodies. I remember asking him why he was building so many of the same car & he said they were gonna be used in a movie called the dead pool with Clint Eastwood.

I remember I asked my dad if he would take me to the movies when Dead Pool came out so I could see the cars. He took me then later regretted it because it was too violent for my age. So now that I'm 31yrs old everytime I see that movie it instantly reminds me of my Hornet. It was such a great RC car. I can still remember the last time I ever drove it. We had moved from Simi Valley to Palmdale, CA & we had only been living here for about a month. My Hornet needed some new tires, so my mom found this place called Smith Brothers Hobbies in Lancaster. She called them to make sure they were open then we went to the store. I walked in and sat my car on the counter. This old man walked up & said "This thing looks like it could use some foam tires on it"? My first thought was what are foam tires??? Then he pulled them off the peg board. They already had rims & were glued down. My mom bought them & the man took out a wheel wrench, unbolted the old rims & tire & installed the new set.

I remember running inside the house & yelling for my older brother to come look at my new tires. He came out seen the tires & told me to put the car on the charger. After it was charged, I went outside to drive it on our culdesac. My brother walked out of the garage with a can of WD40. Once he got to the street he told me to bring the car to him. I just remember him spraying a huge puddle of it on the street then he held my car in the puddle & told me to hit the throttle. It spun those foam tires so crazy & then all of a sudden a spark from the motor caught the car of fire. It was burning for about 10seconds & then took off on it's own & ended up going into the sewer at the end of my street.

My brother tried lifting the manhole cover off so he could get in there & retrieve the car, but it was too heavy for him to lift. I remember at first I was upset, but then the fact that it was so funny hit me & we were both laughing so hard... OH well I guess man down. Anyways, the Hornet was my first "Real" RC car & I'm actually thinking about picking up another one...

PS, I found some video of the RC cars from the Dead Pool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blwps...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbsmj...eature=related

Dude, the part were the cars start glitching out is just classic!!!!!
Nostrixoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #81
Tech Addict

Some of you guys go way back...but not this far back! My first RC car was an on road nitro pan car made by Taurus, way back when Associated was first getting started and released their first "kit" car. Off road didn't really exist then, and we raced in parking lots and anywhere we could find some level asphalt. We made most of our parts on lathes, including cutting our own foam tires out of rubber tube stock. The remotes were wild, stick controllers that had 2 channels modified with wrap-around-mechanisms that looked like slot car controlers but enabled you to have a steering wheel and trigger throttle control. No fail safes and short radio range...many a car was lost in run-away out-of-control wide open crashes across the parking lot. Raced at my first "big" race at John Thorpe's RC raceway in Pomona CA back in the late 60's...hence the nickname rcgeezer!
Team RcRenew...visit us at rcrenew.com!
Triton RC Alpha Plus Engines
rcgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #82
vr6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

bolink pro street car. basic futaba sport radio, futaba esc. 1200mah Nicad cells

Also my local track Race em r/c. Rockford Illinois
vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote