R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Losi Outdrives

Hey guys. Im going to rebuild all my diffs and was wondering if the HD lightened outdrives hold up any better or a performance diff compared to the stock ones?
Speed_Freak_039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

they're just a bit lighter since the centers are machined out. I ran them last year and they last as long as the kit ones, just lighter.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to omaha_racing

I have been using the lightweight ones one all 3 diffs with no problems for about 6 months now. They seem to hold up just fine
Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

I've run just over a gallon of fuel on my car with the lighter outdrives and I haven't had any issues with durability.

Most parts of an 1/8th scale buggy are oversized. The diff gears are just huge compared to the loads they see...outdrives and axles, gears. I think there is still a lot of weight that can be removed from these components without having durability issues. Crash survivability is something else. I suspect ease of manufacturing or use of common sizes that are cheaper is the reason for the oversized parts. Today with the CNC capability, its no longer necessary for cost reasons.

Competition and the persuit of performance will always drive the cars to be lighter...even underweight with ballast to make regulations. I.E. Formula 1 where they have 200 lbs of tungsten bolted to the bottom of the chasssis...lowers the CG.

Its tough to say if I noticed a difference in the performance due to the lighter rotating mass...physics says it is better, but its tough to see it.

Last edited by Don Elliott; 01-22-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: didn't answer all the questions
Don Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Freak_039 View Post
Hey guys. Im going to rebuild all my diffs and was wondering if the HD lightened outdrives hold up any better or a performance diff compared to the stock ones?
Outlasting I'm not sure I'm still running mine. If your going to get new out drives I suggest replacing the pins in all the shafts it's allot cheaper than new shafts. If you outdrives are warn then more than likely the pins are worn from the extra banging.

Better performance you want notice it if you only do say 1 diff. However doing all the diffs you will notice a difference your cutting down on allot of rotating mass when you change then all. look at 1 standard outdrive and imagine it cut down x6 that's a good chunk of weight and rotating mass. I did all of mine in my 8B loved it.

Just to add it's not that expensive for the lightned outdrives $40 for all 6.