Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Have any tips for a guy moving from electric to nitro? >

Have any tips for a guy moving from electric to nitro?

Have any tips for a guy moving from electric to nitro?

Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

From 2wd truck, ive noticed that the one thing I need to do is throttle control. With a 2wd, you need a more smooth, linear throttle finger but with 1/8 buggy, punch it and go! So what I did was put foam by the throttle trigger. it really smoothed out my throttle response. Since you had a 4wd buggy and onroad cars, this might not be as in much affect.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

oh wait!! you came from electric 4wd? i came from 2wd mod, i was wrong, you're going to suck!!!! (jk)

couldn't resist, sorry..
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Most importantly learn patience my young Padawan! Nitro engines can be a pain in the azz. They flame out, glow problems, tuning problems, they need retuning with different ambient conditions and temperatures, some days they run great, some days they suck! Stick it out its all worth it, and be prepared to lose races because of engine problems, it has happened to everyone except the people who lie!
Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Banter
I've been racing electric on and off road cars for 17 years and I am moving to an area where 1/8 scale nitro buggies are popular.

I've always wanted to get into nitro and now I'm ready to lay down the 2K or so it'll take to start racing competitively.

I'd love to hear from folks that have made the transition before and get some tips to make that transition easier. I know very little about nitro but lots about R/C cars.

Thanks,
Banter
Is it that you want to race nitro specifically or just 1/8 scale off road? I recently converted an Xray 808 to electric and love it. We race with the nitros in my area and quite a few people have started converting. Electric power on tap with 1/8 scale durability and no mess or fussy tuning. Best of both worlds. Electric conversions are very easy and most are direct bolt on these days with little to no modification.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Most importantly learn patience my young Padawan! Nitro engines can be a pain in the azz. They flame out, glow problems, tuning problems, they need retuning with different ambient conditions and temperatures, some days they run great, some days they suck! Stick it out its all worth it, and be prepared to lose races because of engine problems, it has happened to everyone except the people who lie!
Which I'm sure makes it more satisfying to get a win.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Most importantly learn patience my young Padawan! Nitro engines can be a pain in the azz. They flame out, glow problems, tuning problems, they need retuning with different ambient conditions and temperatures, some days they run great, some days they suck!
Dude! You're going to scare him off!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Lord

Which I'm sure makes it more satisfying to get a win.
Hell Yea!!!

Now your talking, believe it or not, engine tuning plays a huge part in winning races, sometimes with crazy weather (you'll understand soon enough) the person who doesn't flame out wins!!

Once you get it all perfect, there's no outdoor activity that comes close! the noise alone is worth it! nothing like the noise of a well tuned engine screaming down the track
Old 01-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Once you get it all perfect, there's no outdoor activity that comes close! the noise alone is worth it! nothing like the noise of a well tuned engine screaming down the track
+100

one of the tracks i race at has a starting gate that holds 12 cars. it will drop one at a time, or my favorite....all 12 at once!!! i frikin love it!!! the sound of 12 cars screaming down the front stretch trying to get the hole shot to the first turn is by far the coolest sound you will ever hear. (no little blue pill needed here).
Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Don't flog me but I'm now thinking I'd like 1/8 electric. I'm raising a family and I don't think I'll have the extra time that a nitro requires. Love the noise too but it's a balance I guess.

Hoping XRAY announces an electric 808 at the Nuremberg Toy Fair. Otherwise I'll just convert an 808 nitro kit...

Banter
Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Don't flog me but I'm now thinking I'd like 1/8 electric. I'm raising a family and I don't think I'll have the extra time that a nitro requires. Love the noise too but it's a balance I guess.

Hoping XRAY announces an electric 808 at the Nuremberg Toy Fair. Otherwise I'll just convert an 808 nitro kit...

Banter
I was in the same boat and I could tell from your post, you might want to consider electric. I just went electric from a convenience standpoint and I really wanted to run 1/8 but nitro was a no go where I live. Nothing replaces the nitro sound at the outdoor tracks, but it ain't all that great when you live in a big city and don't want to piss off your neighbors or the wife by spilling nitro on the dining room table.

The Xray is probably one of the best cars to convert. It is already perfectly balanced because the center diff is moved over. The car weighs about the same or slightly less than a RTR nitro. Get the rc-monster motor mount and battery tray and you are good to go.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

I've been racing electric on and off road cars for 17 years and I am moving to an area where 1/8 scale nitro buggies are popular.

I've always wanted to get into nitro and now I'm ready to lay down the 2K or so it'll take to start racing competitively.

I'd love to hear from folks that have made the transition before and get some tips to make that transition easier. I know very little about nitro but lots about R/C cars.

Thanks,
Banter
The main thing I would comment on is that Nitro racing is much more aggressive, like many other real motor sports you have to go for it! If you dont like being touched or bumped on the track you will have a tizzy at every race, so get used to the aggression. You will really have to adopt the hard charging method at certain parts in the race to even have a chance.
As far as driving style... well we blip a bit more in Nitro, so you will have to get used to that. You can try rolling on throttle all the time, but you will soon learn it doesn't work when you a have clutch. My advise is get in a "I'm going to kick your A$$" frame of mind the minute the tone sounds. Once you get the hang of it you'll never go back, just put your equipment out and see what you can do.

.... and have fUN!!!!

+100 on the Xray 808 its really a very nice buggy! Its Extremely Strong, light, balanced, and long lasting, technologically advanced and not to mention very fast.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Nice car Edumakated!

Does anyone race electric in your area? I know a couple in my area and I'm going to have to start a grassroots campaign to get a class together.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Lord

Too Late CC, we lost him back to electric, no wonder Radio Shack does so well
Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Too Late CC, we lost him back to electric, no wonder Radio Shack does so well
I wouldn't say that. I think I'm going to start w/electric and hang out with the nitro guys to get a good feel for it. I may eBay the electrics and throw a nitro engine in or get a second nitro kit.

I love all aspects of the sport and as long as there's enough time and money I'd love to do it all!

Banter
Old 01-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Lord

We look forward to the possibility of hearing your Nitro Racing stories!

Good luck, Jaz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.