R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
.3-.5 is what you want for end play....a Full mm is a little much imo.

For shim kits...DONT get the Ofna...its BS and only has about 3-4 actual 5x8 clutch shims...the rest are rubbish....the Kyosho shim kit is what you want....with all the adjust ability in the world.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=1794

and if your shimming ALOT...these are nice to have on hand.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=1307
thanks for your help. i heard before that kyosho makes nice shim kits...i gonna get those kits

G
assivaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I agree with Integra, the Ofna shim kit has mostly trash. Your paying $5 for about 6 shims.

The reason you cant cut the crankshaft is because you will be cutting the threads off for the setscrew, and once you make it smaller you cant adjust anymore. Really bad idea!
...that makes totally sense to me. i will keep the crank shaft alone...for now, ha ha.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
.3-.5 is what you want for end play....a Full mm is a little much imo.

For shim kits...DONT get the Ofna...its BS and only has about 3-4 actual 5x8 clutch shims...the rest are rubbish....the Kyosho shim kit is what you want....with all the adjust ability in the world.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=1794

and if your shimming ALOT...these are nice to have on hand.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=1307
one more thing...you said that the ofna only has a few usable 5x8 shims, however the kyosho you refer to, is 5x7...i am confused...

thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #19
Tech Rookie

dude,all shim kits for certain size engines will work,ofna or kyosho,the kyosho kit gives you more diffrent size [thickness] shims so you can get the play where you want it. NEVER SHORTEN CRANK DUDE
kyohodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by assivaen View Post
one more thing...you said that the ofna only has a few usable 5x8 shims, however the kyosho you refer to, is 5x7...i am confused...

thanks

same ID which is what matter's...its just how they are.....use the kyosho for fine adjustment and the Ofna 5x8's for bulk shimming......the OFNA assorted shim kit is the one you Dont Want.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #21
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Hey Kyoho dude, your user name is missing the "S" I am sure you meant to be KYOSHO dude, lol
Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Quote:
Hey Kyoho dude, your user name is missing the "S" I am sure you meant to be KYOSHO dude, lol

TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #23
Tech Regular

just want to say thanks to all of you who helped me understand shimming!!!
i totally got it now.

thanks
G
Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lol i dont know why i said ofna shim kit...i know its mediocre at best but only company i knew for sure made a shim kit. but glad u got it.
lalmog91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #25
Tech Regular

one more question: is there a difference between a washer and a shim?
went to the hardware store and got a washer that is 5x8mm. the inside diameter i tad bigger than the crankshaft. is that a problem? does it have to be exactly the same size as the crankshaft?

is a shim somewhat standardized so they all have the same exact size?

thanks guys
G
Old 01-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
went to the hardware store and got a washer that is 5x8mm. the inside diameter i tad bigger than the crankshaft. is that a problem? does it have to be exactly the same size as the crankshaft?

thanks guys
G
For the most part shims are just thinner/finer washers(IMO). And generally its ok for the shim to be a tad larger than the diameter of the crankshaft, however you dont want shims wobbling around with excess play. The main idea is for everything to be a close fit so bearings last long and things dont fall apart during a race.
lalmog91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #27
Tech Lord

Quote:

thanks guys
G

this gets asked lots.....and no the shims we use are special for our purpose....no Hardware store will have what we need...either it will be too large of O.D. or way to thick...or what your describing....Too loose of a fit......and imo NO you cant use anything thats remotely bigger on the crank shaft....your asking for trouble is all....order the proper shims off the net or take the part #'s to your LHS and have them order them in for you.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
this gets asked lots.....and no the shims we use are special for our purpose....no Hardware store will have what we need...either it will be too large of O.D. or way to thick...or what your describing....Too loose of a fit......and imo NO you cant use anything thats remotely bigger on the crank shaft....your asking for trouble is all....order the proper shims off the net or take the part #'s to your LHS and have them order them in for you.
it makes sense to me, to use something that fits exactly on the crankshaft. something spinning with 40000 rpm shouldn't be loose. it will get out of balance. thats what i thought...
gonna order some tonight.

thanks for all the help...

G
Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #29
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

There's more to it than that. If it dosen't fit perfectly on the ball bearings it will interfear with the performance, and it will blow out your bearings..Wait till you have to start shimming diffs....yea~! UHUh!...Whole new ballgame!

You wont have to worry about it till you start to really get dirty.....you'll know what I mean when the time comes..but just make sure when you change out your diffs, or your pinions, or diff cases or housings..you ask about shimming..If you dont get the gear mesh right, your looking at a whole lotta $$$$$$$$$
Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
There's more to it than that. If it dosen't fit perfectly on the ball bearings it will interfear with the performance, and it will blow out your bearings..Wait till you have to start shimming diffs....yea~! UHUh!...Whole new ballgame!

You wont have to worry about it till you start to really get dirty.....you'll know what I mean when the time comes..but just make sure when you change out your diffs, or your pinions, or diff cases or housings..you ask about shimming..If you dont get the gear mesh right, your looking at a whole lotta $$$$$$$$$
damn, sounds like a big mass...i will order the correct shims right now.

thanks

G