Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8B Gear Mesh

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default 8B Gear Mesh

how am i supposed to set the gear mesh on a losi 8B properly so that the clutch bell bearings dont blow every other time at the track? i have been using the paper method but after some research on here have discovered that this is not the way to do it so: anyone have step by step instructions? thanks!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

the motor not being straight is what causes the clutch bell bearings to prematurely blow out.

You can still use the paper method, but just make sure the engine is straight at the same time.

The best way to do that is to look at the screws on the bottom of the chassis and make sure they are symmetrical.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

best way to get the motor straight is use one of my motor mounts, has bosses on the bottom that drop into the chassis slots. straight everytime!
the pics are before anodize, have some available in black anodize also, $40 shipped with an extra set of risers, I will post pics of the black mounts tonight
Attached Thumbnails 8B Gear Mesh-mount1.jpg   8B Gear Mesh-mount2.jpg   8B Gear Mesh-mount3.jpg  
Old 01-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

1st. Make sure CB is shimmed properly. No more than a shims worth of play.

2nd. Engine needs to be in a straight line. As well as properly meshed.

3rd. If you have done all of this you may need to take into consideration. Your getting to much chassis flex. A Kings Head extended motor mount will solve this problem as well. I don't use one and I don't have CB bearing issues.

4th. You may one to consider a Losi 1 piece motor mount. Once you get it set you never need to move it again unless you go up or down in CB size.

A cocked engine will eat your bearings as well. Worn engine bearings. Worn engine bearing orifice will do the same (where bearing sits in engine). Poorly meshed CB will do the same. Check your bearings in the center diff mount.

Once you set your mesh roll the buggy on the floor. There should not be any strange noises.

Once you have all of the above checked and in order $1 bearings. Will last you quite a while. Don't believe the hype $8 bearings not going to make a hill of beans difference. If any of the above are out whack.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wb-racer-ace
best way to get the motor straight is use one of my motor mounts, has bosses on the bottom that drop into the chassis slots. straight everytime!
the pics are before anodize, have some available in black anodize also, $40 shipped with an extra set of risers, I will post pics of the black mounts tonight
pics of anodized mounts
Attached Thumbnails 8B Gear Mesh-8ightmount1-600-x-451-.jpg   8B Gear Mesh-8ightmount3-600-x-451-.jpg  
Old 01-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

does your mount work with both bump start and roto start engines???
Old 01-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

does not work with roto-start, but I can make one
Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Do you have a or any plans for a extended version?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by yaright
Do you have a or any plans for a extended version?
yes I do, in fact I have one drawn up that is going into the machine this weekend