R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BrettL
Default Fioroni Torsen Diffs

Those of you that have used these in 1/8 buggies, did you notice a considerable improvement in handling? Somewhere I saw a thread that said not to use f, c, and rear, any truth to that? If so, what's the reasoning behind it? I a man buys just one, which will give him the most advanatage? Thanks guys.
BrettL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Are those the ones that cost $200? If so what is so great about them?
Dalepad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Don't know, that's my question.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettL View Post
Those of you that have used these in 1/8 buggies, did you notice a considerable improvement in handling? Somewhere I saw a thread that said not to use f, c, and rear, any truth to that? If so, what's the reasoning behind it? I a man buys just one, which will give him the most advanatage? Thanks guys.
From what I recall you should start with the Front and then work your way back. I believe some of the pros run then sporadically, again as an additional tuning option.

Most of us mortals can't afford to shell out $600.00 bones for a full set of torsion diffs.
rcjunky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Tech Addict

I can't afford to either. I'll do them one at a time if at all. I probably won't even mess with them unless I learn that they make a huge difference.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

Default fioroni

we have tested them as well here in the philippines.

let me just say that if you have the money, go and get them.

hi brett!

nick
GS_pinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For $200 you can kiss my butt, Fioroni stuff is over priced. I'll stick with Losi's Smart diffs.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

look with way they work its only good for on grass in the dirt theres no point to many other factors to put in to play
nover367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Default hahaha..

yeah.. i get the reaction a lot. that was what i said as well.

but some people just need to have these things. it has its benefits but the price is indeed too high..
GS_pinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
Tech Addict

I put one in the center of my tricked out GS Storm Pro several years ago. It's the only buggy I have that I havn't used, just havn't needed to. But, I'm preparing my other 2 Storm Pros to sell. After that, I'll put the GS/Fioroni Storm on the track and see if I can tell any difference between it and my old Storms.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

i do no think that they make that big of difference.... i would say if they were that great everyone would go out and buy them
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

The Ofna torsion diffs are only $100. But still is that worth it.
Dalepad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In response to some of the (sarcastic) comments and questions posted on this thread, here are some answers which will hopefully explain what the diffs are and why they cost so much.

1- The diffs are made in Italy, not Taiwan or China.
2- The diffs are made in small quantities.
3- The diffs are made using high quality materials.
4- Fioroni spent several years to research, test, redesign, and finally produce these diffs. Testing began as far back as when Kortz ran for Kyosho and Bradley ran for Mugen, and yes they were some of the test pilots for these diffs. Pavidis also tested these way back when.
5- The dollar is quite weak against the Euro, so even at the current exchange rate, which is much improved from 12 months ago, all product coming from Italy is priced about 30% higher than 'normal'.

Now, all torsen diffs are not the same. Fioroni has been producing torque sensing diffs for over 10 years. Each version is different than the previous version. With each version, the diffs have gotten smaller and lighter, and less complicated. The newest version is quite different from all previous versions in that it is based on the full size Vari-loc torque sensing diffs, and uses internal ramps instead of worm gears.
Torsen diffs are a tuning option, and yes they do affect the handling of the car, and no they should not be used at all times for all track conditions. I have used them in both buggy and truggy, as well as my IGT car and found they make the car easier to drive with more punch, and in nearly all cases, better tire wear. I can not say anything about the OFNA diffs, but I will say they are not the same as Fioroni's.
These diffs are used by some of the world's top drivers, and again they are a tuning option. Recently the head of one of the top buggy manufacturers asked me for one of these diffs for one of his drivers. As stated in this thread, there are other manufacturers now making similar diffs, which IMO are somewhat based on Fioroni's designs. If you are a club racer, a newbie, or someone who maybe doesn't have a good grasp on setup and maintenance, maybe these are not for you. If you don't have or don't want to spend the money, no one is forcing you to buy them.
When I have used these diffs, I have used them front and/or center, but never rear. I TQ'ed a NORRCA nats (albiet the non Pro class) a few years back running the Storm Traction diffs in my GS Storm Pro.

If anyone else has any productive questions about the Fioroni diffs, please post them here, PM me, or call me at 626-338-3815 x123.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Tech Addict

The Fioroni diff in my Storm Pro has sat, unused for 3 years or so. I'm not familiar with the kind of lube used in these diffs. Is there a chance that the lube has hardened or seperated in some way? A more general question, is there preventative maintenance a man should do to these diffs before he runs them for the first time? I ask that one because I've read somewhere that some put loctite on the case. Thanks Garen, Brett.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Brett, I don't think the grease would have gone bad, but it's not a bad idea to open the diff and take a look.

When servicing the Storm Traction diffs, make sure every gear stays in the exact spot and in the exact direction, especially after the diff has been run. Use only the grease supplied with the diff, and if you don't have it, the part number is ST-LUBE; a tube of which will last a long time. No need to put too much grease inside, just enough to cover all the gears and internals. Make sure the 2 screws that hold the 2 halves together are tight and yes, put a bit of thread locking compound on the blue case. The outdrives are not pinned to the diffs, so I always place an o-ring or small piece of tubing inside the outdrive cup. If the diffs are new, break them in by driving the car slow, no jumps, for 5 or 10 minutes.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote