Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Clutch Bell Bearing problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run an 8b an 8t i've been eating clutchs bearings bells.. it realy pissin me off
but i've been using the paper... then i tryed the hold c deff gear rocking bell back an fourth still smokin clutchs....i think i'll try that one peace motor mount
an i heard losi cam out with a better bearing.. its sealed.....
Old 01-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JW RACING

Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heeltoedrver
in extreme cases, clutch shoes can mushroom to the point that they rub on the bearing (because losi uses an oversized bearing). might take a look at that. took me a few rebuilds to figure it out.
New shoes, so I know this is not the problem

Originally Posted by bjr48
I've heard all of the above advice before, escpecially the ones pointed right at the Losi and loose mesh and chassis flex. The ONLY thing I can think to help you that you need to answer is if you have ever had "good luck" with bearings in that car and how you started with it pertaining to the engine.
Like new engine, new car, no problems at first - now problems. Info like that. Because if it's nothing else check your engine bearings. If they are getting older no matter what kind of engine (past the 1-3 gallon mark) they can have enough slop to blow out CB bearings even as quickly as two tanks. If you continue to chase this for awhile it may become more and more often than you are experiencing now. Hope you find the problem soon!
Becuase if it IS an engine bearing and you don't figure it out soon you may blow an engine bearing up!
Give the guy a call that was going to help you over the phone
New engine, ran if for the first time this weekend and the same thing happened.

After further review the bearing still spin freely.

The problem is I'll set the end play to .4 and after a day of racing I might mahe 1.0 of end play. I hope this makes since.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Are you talking about the shimming of your CB?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JW RACING
I run an 8b an 8t i've been eating clutchs bearings bells.. it realy pissin me off
but i've been using the paper... then i tryed the hold c deff gear rocking bell back an fourth still smokin clutchs....i think i'll try that one peace motor mount
Use a one piece mount and keep setting the bell real loose. You shouldn't have any more problems.

The people who are using the paper method are going to have problems. Don't use the paper method......
Old 01-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
Use a one piece mount and keep setting the bell real loose. You shouldn't have any more problems.

The people who are using the paper method are going to have problems. Don't use the paper method......
i use the paper method. i dont have bearing issues or clutch bell issues so that statement is false
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by losi_racer
i use the paper method. i dont have bearing issues or clutch bell issues so that statement is false
WELL good for you, but it's not working for him Mr. Expert. If you have to use a piece of paper to set mesh you shouldn't be giving anyone advice.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yeah, def. agree that its tight mesh. I use to blow them up 100 times in a row. Just did not get it. Started running bout two or three paper thick loose, which you dont need the paper, just feel it, but it ends up bout that far. Im getting at least 2 full weekends out it. I do inspect after the weeks race to double check, but its been good the last few times. I still want the KHZ mount though.

You guys running the 2.0 buggy, you run the KHZ mount?? Im going to get the 2.0 T soon and just wondering if i should get one for the new truck too??
Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Also if you race on a track where you have large jumps or crash a lot your going to have to run a little looser mesh as well. You can get away with the paper trick if there is very minimal flexing going on. I noticed that on my track with small jumps the bearings would last over a gallon. But as soon as I went to a bigger track with bigger jumps and harder landings the bearings would bite the dust within a tank until I set the mesh a tad looser.

This is definitely not going to happen with everyone but just my personal experience.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
WELL good for you, but it's not working for him Mr. Expert. If you have to use a piece of paper to set mesh you shouldn't be giving anyone advice.
i use it as a checking device ass. i mesh the gears then i put the paper in to check
Old 01-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Lord

unfortunately the paper trick does Jack for making sure the motor's square to the Spur....one of the only ways to do that is to measure the bolts on the bottom of the chassy.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For me personaly the best way to guarantee your clutch bearings will last the main is to always replace them before hand. Then I normally use the ones from the previous main in practice and qualifying at the next race. I leave a small amount of play in the clutch bell, less than you would normally think to use because a new bearing will break in and free up the assembly. also if the bearings you are using are packed with grease you need to make sure to blow the excess grease out. Just get cheap bearings like http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=4972 and http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...?idproduct=300 I use a dual shiel 5/13 bearing and always put the metal shield towards the engine. the rubber seal will fall off if its towards the engine.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by l3asher
I'm going through them like water. 3 qualifers and a 20 minute main and their toast. I have the right amount of CB play. What I take them off after the mains I have way more CB play then when I started. The bearing still spin. I replace the bearing and the extra play is gone.

I assume the extra play is from the bearings going bad?

What could be causing this in such a short amount of time?

About to ditch the losi set up and run an M2C set up, btw these are the TKO specail best cb bearing.
can it change to ceramic bearing?mine one also have the same problem.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by matrixflyer
can it change to ceramic bearing?mine one also have the same problem.

ceramics will not fix a improperly set up clutch......l3asher what did you figure out ?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

To clarify...the TKO "special bearings' are steel. Ceramic will not help. Adam Drake runs our bearings and typically gets 4 to 5 gallons on them.

When you finish assembling to check for play rap the clutch bell towards the engine with a screwdriver handle..piece of wood etc. and see if the play increases. Sometimes the entire assembly needs to be seated first. We have seen this numerous times with the Losi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.