Wiki Posts
Search

heat gun/break-run-in

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default heat gun/break-run-in

Im a year into nitro. iv had lots of help learning and still have a ways to go to be as smart as some. iv used many methods for break in and had some mis haps. lately things have been good on break in but i see lot of changes that iv made from the 1st engine iv broke in(w/help)to the engines im running in at the moment. my question is, how many people use a heat gun to heat the crank case up for the 1st start and maybe up through the first gallon? i had a pretty bad arguement w/an old freind thats been breaking in engines for 20+years about not heating engines up w/heat gun to start during break in. the engine in particular was an old resized, new bearings&rod mr ninja 21. all input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well some engines need it as they simply will not turn over otherwise (too tight).
Others u can pull start easily - in a RTR for example.

Therefore you don't know just how tight it will be and how bad it will scrape the bore or if you will stress out the conrod heaps.

So I'd say always preheat a new motor to be safe.... can't hurt it by heating when unnecessary!

I've had some that were so tight (and you don't know till you try) that I had to put heaps of oil in and preheat then run on the starter box with no plug in, cos preheat plus oil and it wtill would not turn over with a plug in. Now I just figure I will always spin them up hot and slippery with no plug for a min or so before I even try to start it
Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I always preheat along with after-run oil. I do it even after break-in when the temp is below 60F. It saves a lot of stress on the con rod and gets you past that warm-up stage faster.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Initiate

preheating greatly reduces stress on racing engines, it helps the sleeve to expand to its optimum fit faster (reducing wear) it will keep your conrod happy too!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

preheat at least for the first gallon during break in ....it reduces cold crank stress when starting the motor up
Old 01-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well some engines need it as they simply will not turn over otherwise (too tight).
Others u can pull start easily - in a RTR for example.
+1

Preheating makes hard to start engines a little less bitchy, and it makes easy to start engines just that much easier.

There really is no valid argument against doing it.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Rookie

You need a heat gun to help with the heat cycle during break-in. You have to keep the engine really rich during this cycle, thus the engine will not heat up enough. You need to get it up to 180-185 during break-in and try to keep it there during this process. This is the best break-in process I have found.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

I use a cheapo heat gun that I bought from Harbor Freight for ten bucks. I use that on new engines along with heat cycling to break them in.

As somebody else posted above, it can't hurt and it's probably easier on the rod.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

im new to this whole game and my ninja is almost here. i have never heard about using a heat gun, how do you do this exactly?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would think that each and everytime you start the engine, even after break in would help the longevity of the engine and not put so much stress on the con rod.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 8&stuff
Im a year into nitro. iv had lots of help learning and still have a ways to go to be as smart as some. iv used many methods for break in and had some mis haps. lately things have been good on break in but i see lot of changes that iv made from the 1st engine iv broke in(w/help)to the engines im running in at the moment. my question is, how many people use a heat gun to heat the crank case up for the 1st start and maybe up through the first gallon? i had a pretty bad arguement w/an old freind thats been breaking in engines for 20+years about not heating engines up w/heat gun to start during break in. the engine in particular was an old resized, new bearings&rod mr ninja 21. all input is greatly appreciated.
So why argue with someone who has '20+' years experience??? If you don't want to take the advice and learn a thing or two then go ahead and do it your way and find out the hard way!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

That same logic would mean we would still be using rattles and chanting over the sick and infirm. Instead, those disciplines have improved...such is the case here. The science behind why pre-heating is beneficial has already been described in the thread by others (no need to repeat it) and it is sound advice.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ajhaun
im new to this whole game and my ninja is almost here. i have never heard about using a heat gun, how do you do this exactly?
Simply heat up the side of the engine with the gun. Keep in mind it heats up pretty quick. Heat cycling has worked for me. I will use this method everytime I break-in a new engine.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok how long do u heat it up for like 30 seconds or five minutes?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Rookie

If you would have looked at my other post you would have your answer. Pay Attention!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.