R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
mini696's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AUSTRALIA
Posts: 304
Default Stripped plastic parts (metal screw into plastic diffcase)

How can I repair/improve the grip of a screw that has stripped the plastic from its seating?
mini696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
jamminnay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 2,012
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini696 View Post
How can I repair/improve the grip of a screw that has stripped the plastic from its seating?
you can use a little CA glue in the hole for a temporary fix.... the fix is just that temporary
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
scwrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,421
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I would want to replace the plastic.

You can use teflon tape, or a piece of a toothpick in the hole, some epoxy, bigger screw, etc...
__________________
hbracing.com tritonrc.com raceaka.com
scwrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
rcjunkie3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 1,072
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Replace the plastic is the best method. You can also tap it with a larger screw.
__________________
RCJunkie3000 - Gonzo69 Paints / Lex Tyler Paints / Norcal Hobbies
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/344416-rcjunkie3000s-garage-sale-batteries-escs-chargers-cars-accessories-etc.html
rcjunkie3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
jamminnay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 2,012
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay
Default

replacing is the best option but a little glue can get you through the day in a pinch
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 223
Default

At ace hardware, home depot, etc you can buy little brass thread inserts. I have tried different brands like Threadserts but I prefer the brass ones made for wood. Basically you have to drill the hole larger and thread the insert into the plastic. It will only work where there is a lot of plastic but I have used them before in a jam with excellent results. In fact my 8T has 2 in it now that are holding the chassis to the bulk (diff gearboxes).

here is what they look like...
Larks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
jamminnay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 2,012
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
At ace hardware, home depot, etc you can buy little brass thread inserts. I have tried different brands like Threadserts but I prefer the brass ones made for wood. Basically you have to drill the hole larger and thread the insert into the plastic. It will only work where there is a lot of plastic but I have used them before in a jam with excellent results. In fact my 8T has 2 in it now that are holding the chassis to the bulk (diff gearboxes).

here is what they look like...
that would be a good option if there was enough surface to drill out..
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Tech Master
 
bgbelden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 1,980
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I'm gonna pick up some for back-up but i too have found out that glue is not the way to go having back up plastic is the best method.
__________________
''Life's tough ........
it's even tougher if you're stupid..''
-- John Wayne
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
jamminnay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 2,012
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbelden View Post
I'm gonna pick up some for back-up but i too have found out that glue is not the way to go having back up plastic is the best method.
+1
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,807
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Sometimes you can use a longer screw. Just don't
over tighten the longer one.
rageworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
Acill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gilbert, Az.
Posts: 1,286
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Acill Send a message via AIM to Acill
Default

I ran into this on my losi 8ight buggy. I took some old parts and started to play with an idea. It worked very well, in fact I say it is nearly like new after getting it down.

Take some scrap from the plastic tree the parts are attached to and use a hobby knife to make shavings. Place them into a mix of thick CA or thread lock and use a tooth pick to coat the inside of the hole you need to fix with it. Get as much of the plastic shavings on the sides as you can and insert your original screw.

Taking a soldering iron touch the top of the screw head and heat it up. The shavings will melt some and fill in the threads. Let it set and your good!

Practice on a scrap part first, once you get the feel of the temp needed it will work awesome!
__________________
Associated Factory Team B4.2 | T4.2 | SC10
Tekno SCT410 Tekin 4.5
Acill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Cover screwthreads with wax and veggie oil. Mix up JB weld and mush into hole.
Screw the screw in and let sit for 24 hours, Unscrew from part and boom. New threads that will last forever.
Storydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Jomo918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SUNNY San Diego, CA
Posts: 343
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill View Post
I ran into this on my losi 8ight buggy. I took some old parts and started to play with an idea. It worked very well, in fact I say it is nearly like new after getting it down.

Take some scrap from the plastic tree the parts are attached to and use a hobby knife to make shavings. Place them into a mix of thick CA or thread lock and use a tooth pick to coat the inside of the hole you need to fix with it. Get as much of the plastic shavings on the sides as you can and insert your original screw.

Taking a soldering iron touch the top of the screw head and heat it up. The shavings will melt some and fill in the threads. Let it set and your good!

Practice on a scrap part first, once you get the feel of the temp needed it will work awesome!
thats a pretty ingenious idea! definetly something to keep in mind for my buddies. i would just replace it but some of my friends are penny pinchers so this would be great for them.
__________________
~~~~~ Joey Morales ~~~~~
Hotbodies D8T/Spektrum
Novarossi/AKA/Futaba
Heritage RC Raceway, San Diego CA
Jomo918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:08 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net