R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default confusing choices.

i dont know anything about these two, pick one for me.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18901 or this http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/28088
Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Do you wish to race one of these buggies, or just have fun in the yard or at the park?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i dont plan on trashing them or bashing them, i plan on running them on the local off road track, AKA joining fun races, in other words, not serious racing. get it?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would get the associated for 3 reasons.

1. The kyosho is based on the 7.5 which is outdated by 2 models. The next model was the 777, then the mp9

2. Kyosho replacement parts are over priced. for example $50 for a shock tower.

3. The associated is based on the current rc8 platform, so hop-ups and replacement parts are easy to find.

Another car to look at would be the losi 8 rtr. It has a good radio system, and the engine is perfect for club level racing.

I'm not sponsored by anyone, I'm just a racer that has been racing since 1991 and so my opinion is unbiased.
kevinmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I would get the RC8 if it were me
-It is more blessed to give than to receive. ~Acts 20:35
-Spec Amsoil, Jerry Welchel or Fabtech Slash
-Team Losi 8ight E- Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2650
RGraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Find some one that has one and ask each what they do not like about theirs and weigh it out . The only thing with my rc8 is the fuel tank some have air leaks.Not sure about the Kyosho but I believe they are just as good.thats a tough choice for sure.
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redza View Post
i don't plan on trashing them or bashing them, i plan on running them on the local off road track, AKA joining fun races, in other words, not serious racing. get it?
You be surprized how quick just wanting to have fun at the local track and run some laps turns into a full out obsession and a month down the road you will be racing everyweek wanting to go faster.

A RTR buggy may be cheaper to get into at first, but in the long run you will up spending more than if you would of bought a race buggy to begin with, Ive been there, done that.

When I first got back into RC and 1/8th scale I bought a RTR hyper 7.
Within a month I replaced the motor, pipe, servos, radio, receiver pack, chassis braces, cnc steering knuckles, CVD's, bought a starter box, tires, on so on. I look back on it now, and cant believe how dumb I was for buying a RTR, not saying your dumb, just me, lol.

Scott U.

Last edited by RacerScott; 01-15-2009 at 06:16 AM.
RacerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerScott View Post
When I first got back into RC and 1/8th scale
Here's the key difference. He isn't getting back into racing, he's just getting started. The RC8 is a very good car and is very capable of winning races in a RTR kit.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

The RC8 for sure. Plenty of Factory Team upgrades you can do to an RTR once things start breaking or wearing out. Plus Team AE parts are very cheap by comparison.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Out of the two you listed I would definately get the rc8. Those kyosho's are bad news. I have first hand experience with one(a buddy owned one) and all I can say is matterials quality. Kyosho pro level kits have some of the best quality around and that is certainly not carried over to thier RTR's.

Now if it were me I would definately look at a losi RTR too. they come with a killer radio and engine. Plus the car is completely based on the pro kit(like the RC8, unlike the kyosho) so you can upgrade to pro parts as you wear them out. You can get a really good price on one right now too.

Here is the losi RTR
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9754

Here is the losi pro kit(1.0) that is now on deep discount. this is probably the one I would get if I were in your position.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6558

And if you want to go all out here is losi's newest buggy..... the 8ight 2.0
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/28660

I personally just bought the 2.0 buggy(arrived at my door yesterday) but feel that the origional 8ight is still a very competative buggy. For the price now you can't beat it. You can get a very nice little engine for $150(novarossi limited edition 3 port), pick the radio gear you want, and have a pro level buggy for not too much more than those RTR's.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Here's the key difference. He isn't getting back into racing, he's just getting started. The RC8 is a very good car and is very capable of winning races in a RTR kit.
I was just getting started too. I raced electric, actually a losi JRX-2 with a Novak t-4 if you can remember that car, when I was 12 years old. My local track shut down so I stoped racing. Then I got into 1/8 scale at age 22 with the intention of racing, not bashing. A hyper 7 RTR was my first gas car. I had a O.S. rz v01-b in that hyper 7 within a month.

Scott U.
RacerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
Tech Adept

as others have said, go associated. that being said, take a serious look at the losi - first rate buggy, tons of parts support and most importantly phenominal electronics and a real strong engine (for an rtr).
Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Thumbs up r.c

i would guet the rc8 kit version dont buy the rtr the rtr its more plastic and whith the jumps gona start braking shock caps etc etc the engine rtr its torque but its not to powerfulll and the weight its heavy cause its a .28
i had the rc8 rtr i have 2 rc8 buggys kits and the truggy now and you are going to guet involve and spend more and more other thing is the radio its not spectrum i have 2 radios of those rtr and are in my closet cause you whant your own signal and a better response spectrum technology if you are going to race save and guet a 1- kit chasis 2-o.s v spec engine- 3- dx3 radio 4- futaba brushless servos 200-oz .12 speed @ 6 volts and you are already a winner jeje you gona spend more but i the long run you gona spend more changing parts you are having a great competitive car from the start and better to guet used to that driving style from the beginning those are my ideas

rtr are for bashers to have fun @ their back yard go and ask @ your track and you would learn alot ask them there
good luck

or if you are new racing check the hot new category the truggys are the new hot category and the brake less
pictures rc8truggy kit and the rc8 kit whith the battery modification
Attached Thumbnails
confusing choices.-img_0897.jpg   confusing choices.-jcmitc.jpg  
alexzone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Tech Elite

LOL! Wut! usually I agree. Get a kit. Especially when you can get a Losi for $300 at amain. But it is going to still be more expensive.

The RC8's RTR radio works just as well as the DX3 on the Losi. In fact I prefere the XP3d and use it to back up my M8. All the settings you could ever want, easy setup, never glitches, fast response (FM is still the fastest).
Its only downside is that it comes with a 50hz module. Thats the same band the Traxxas/monster guys run and you know how good they r at checking frequencies. Get some extra crystals.

The RC8 rtr chassis is nearly the same as the FT. Plus a $100 radio and a fuel bottle and its a pretty fair price. The motor and starter are garbage on the Losi and AE rtr's. But they'll work for a few gallons until you know what race engine you need. You'll need to put the included steering servo on throttle and get a Hitec 7950 for steering. 400 oz.@ .15 sec

Oh and the RC8 RTR plastic parts are actually superior to FT parts in most cases. The shock caps, chassis braces, center diff brace, and plastic radio tray are all prefered to the FT parts. Plus you need the RTR ackerman plate for the steering mod.

The narrow hubs give quicker steering response with more stability. (hope the guys at my track don't fiqure this out.) I run the narrow RTR hubs up front and the FT hubs in the rear.

The only place the RC8 RTR falls flat is the brake discs wear quicker than the ft, the clutch needs M2C shoes, The FT gets free big bores now, and the chassis braces need replaced at 5 gallons.

Anyway don't even think about the KYosho. Get the RC8 or the LOsi.

The Losi has better shocks and might accept the new Smart diffs.
The AE has a better drivetrain and is easier to drive.
Flip a coin.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Default rc8 kit

consider titanium turnbuckles the new kit brings the big bores included

if you are not a cheap person guet the best good luck
alexzone007 is offline   Reply With Quote