R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Any cheap nicad pack ($19.00) should work for the starter gun. should be 6 cell. Get 2 so that way you have enough batteries for your Ofna Truggy starter box ($90) when you up grade to that.

8 rechargable AA batteries for your radio. 5cell 1500mah Nihm reciever pack. Might want 2 rx packs.

A charger can be the best investment you ever make. Better even than a good radio. Chargers last forever so get a good one. I have a 20 yr old charger along with some new ones.

Get the Much More racing Silent Charger. The Hyperion Ac/dc charger on maxamps.com is nearly the same. The little $20 simple chargers make nice Nihm explosions. (Seen 3!) Plus a good charger will help you grow to lipo, and can save some overdischarded batteries if you know that trick. Both these chargers cost a little extra. There is a good reason for that.

Take the included bannana plugs and solder connectors for your radio, rx pack,starter battery, and glow plug ignitor all to one lead that way no one connector can be lost. (You might have to buy a glow plug charger and cut off its connector to get one.) If you don't allready have an iron.......80watts should do.

Get the biggest hot shot ignitor you can find. Haven't charged mine since I got it. (it should come with a charger to. Cut that connector off for your good charger and use that little wall thingy for target practice)

My RC8 RTR needed soon after first drive:

Service pack, Amain is good at sending these with the kits so no problemo for you.

Shock bushings
Clutch bell
Most of this cars 3&4mm bolts can be found at Ace hardware. Just remember they'll be softer.
40&50wt shock oil.
5000 wt diff oil, ONLY 5k AE.
Caster bushings
Caster block mounting bushings and bolts
Clutch shims
M2C hard/normal wt clutch shoes.
Pizza
Neon Green Paint.
Os #8plug for hot days
OS A3 plug for normal days.
Extra white fuel tank
Dubro clear fuel line

Sounds like alot....you should see what else piles up in 6 months.
Wow with that list you should definately get the losi.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Actually I made a list for my Losi RTR as well. Isn't science grand?

Parts needed for my Losi rtr soon after its 1st run:
Servo
Bearings
RC8
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
+1
Much better than any FM or AM radio. Better response(yeah dsm is actually alot faster), crystal free, interference free security with failsafe.

The engine is also perfectly fine. It will last many gallons and provide you with all the power you need at your level right now. As for the starter, yes a starter box would be much nicer but it will owrk untill you take the plunge and get a box.

My vote still gose for the losi 1.0 pro kit for $275 from Amain with there coupon code.

DSM is not faster than FM...as previously stated there's a reason that all the top tier guys run FM because the response is better...anyway the + of the DSM is zero channel issues which is always a plus for the beginner to expert racer because you can show up and race and or work on your cars in the pits without causing a wreck...but of the two listed the RC8 hands down..the kyosho's are excellent quality but the rtr's are not and to upgrade is crazy high. but at the same time if you shop around you could probably get an FTE RC8 for the cost of the RTR and have an already pro kit vehicle..depends on if you'd like a used car or not(also you'd need a starterbox with it . Knowing what I've been through with rtr's I stick to Kits but The RTR RC8 is far from bad...most important thing..have fun with whatever you buy
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
most important thing..have fun with whatever you buy
i agree nitro luver, one more thing, besides the RTR's, how bout the hot bodies d8 kit? ofna hyper 8.5 ? any kit to get me started. the ones on amain, anyone have any good feedbacks or whatever you call those "say good thing about it" thing.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #35
Tech Regular

is there a cheap but reliable engine for the HB D8? is the airtronics MX-3 okay for 1/8 buggies? what does the kit comes with? any good expirience with it?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #36
Tech Apprentice

get the losi rtr my dad got one and it is a sweet deal we always go race at this bike track in our neighbor hood with a bunch of buggies and truggies and he is always near the front, and all of them have decent to killer set ups
also that spin start is really reliable, we just hooked it to a drill and it made it even easier
ajhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmajor View Post
I would get the associated for 3 reasons.

1. The kyosho is based on the 7.5 which is outdated by 2 models. The next model was the 777, then the mp9

2. Kyosho replacement parts are over priced. for example $50 for a shock tower.

3. The associated is based on the current rc8 platform, so hop-ups and replacement parts are easy to find.

Another car to look at would be the losi 8 rtr. It has a good radio system, and the engine is perfect for club level racing.

I'm not sponsored by anyone, I'm just a racer that has been racing since 1991 and so my opinion is unbiased.
In that case, I go with Team Associated.

I don't like buying over price parts and old tech car.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
In that case, I go with Team Associated.

I don't like buying over price parts and old tech car.
D8 is new right?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #39
Tech Regular

The D8 is a terrific car. I am currently running one and have no discernible issues with the exception of the driveshafts snapping, but that issue is fixed as I broke the original shafts not the updated ones. As far as a good cheap motor, I would recommend either a GO tech motor as I have heard great things, or a RB s3 or s5 motor. The Mx-3 will be fine that is what i use and I love it, only thing with that radio is it is a power hog and drains batteries fast, but get yourself those energizer lithium batteries and you are set.
xpertpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #40
Tech Regular

redza you have a pm
xpertpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #41
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redza View Post
okay, i will get the rc8, 120% i will get it from amain, but then, is there like anything else i need besides fuel? like the sub c batteries ? any specific voltage?any suggestions? and charger? like a basic charger or a cheap but reliable one. or whatever.
Extra fuel tanks..you'll need em..
Old 01-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
redza you have a pm
you have pm
Old 01-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #43
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
As far as a good cheap motor, I would recommend either a GO tech motor as I have heard great things, or a RB s3 or s5 motor
doesnt the go tech motor need a starter box? why is the high speed needle on the rc s3 like on the other side? isnt that HSN suppose to be like... on the other side? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23736
Old 01-17-2009, 04:57 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by redza View Post
doesnt the go tech motor need a starter box? why is the high speed needle on the rc s3 like on the other side? isnt that HSN suppose to be like... on the other side? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23736
The carbs come off....they have a round base. You just spin it around. The S3 needs a starter box. Good engine.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:06 AM   #45
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
The carbs come off....they have a round base. You just spin it around. The S3 needs a starter box. Good engine.
oooh, okay.