R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #61
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech-it-Out View Post
Ive seen plenty of them GO tink! The motors are made in Taiwan, they have much much lower standards for aluminum then say Italy, Europe or the United states. Sure its cheaper but why take the chance of having a weekend ruined due to material inconsistencys
Can't Taiwan or anywhere else use the same materials? Even if they copied a OS or RB or Nova or whatever (they rpobably did reverse engineer one) then I would not care. I'd like to know on what basis you make these claims.... are you a metallurgist or have had somebody analyse the alloys for you?

Fact is, I see just as many gripes about V-spec longevity as I do about Go Techs. I have a Go 5 port and for $330aud (with pipe) the guys at my club are amazed how it keeps up with their $600 motors.
If it is half the price and lasts half as long then do I care??? No of course not!
But even better they don't last half as long, plenty of guys have just as many gals on them as expensive brands and still running strong.

When something new comes out cheaper there is always so many ppl lining up to complain about them. I suggest you read the whole Go Tech thread here and on www.ausrc.com
or even better try one!
Mark_Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Australia View Post
Can't Taiwan or anywhere else use the same materials? Even if they copied a OS or RB or Nova or whatever (they rpobably did reverse engineer one) then I would not care. I'd like to know on what basis you make these claims.... are you a metallurgist or have had somebody analyse the alloys for you?

Fact is, I see just as many gripes about V-spec longevity as I do about Go Techs. I have a Go 5 port and for $330aud (with pipe) the guys at my club are amazed how it keeps up with their $600 motors.
If it is half the price and lasts half as long then do I care??? No of course not!
But even better they don't last half as long, plenty of guys have just as many gals on them as expensive brands and still running strong.

When something new comes out cheaper there is always so many ppl lining up to complain about them. I suggest you read the whole Go Tech thread here and on www.ausrc.com
or even better try one!
Metal alloys are a funny thing. If you think just metallurgy alone can tell how how the metal mold or forging alone is done, your wrong. Two parts made of the same alloy mix can have to different strengths. Its the process in making the parts that really matter the most, so there are differences. A lot of Asian copies use same merterials, but not all the steps or processes tor know-how to make the parts. Now, I'm not saying anything negative about Go or others, as I know guys that use them and they seem to work for them, but just saying there can be differences in quality.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I may be only one to say this, But I have had vspes, I have a rb s7 l2g and a grp tuned. I think the grp is easier to tune then those engines. It likes to be run lean on the bottom and rich up top. I honestly struggle tuning my rb s7. It will never keep a good idle alway revs high coming off throttle and when it comes to idle it flames. The grp will idle great and runs like it should. The rb doesnt even have 3 gallons on it. Still has great compression but I have had to change the front bearing due to it leaking and put a tko ceramic and it still leaks. So I dont know what to do with it
Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #64
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Metal alloys are a funny thing. If you think just metallurgy alone can tell how how the metal mold or forging alone is done, your wrong. Two parts made of the same alloy mix can have to different strengths. Its the process in making the parts that really matter the most, so there are differences. A lot of Asian copies use same merterials, but not all the steps or processes tor know-how to make the parts. Now, I'm not saying anything negative about Go or others, as I know guys that use them and they seem to work for them, but just saying there can be differences in quality.
Yeah OK I only mentioned metallurgy but you sort of helped me make my point. Just the same as he is probably not aware of the metallury, he also is probably not fully aware of the process or the tooling or the Q.A process... he states they must be bad as they are made in Taiwan and he knows of a few that didn't last.

Well I have two friends who crashed Ferraris so they must be a bad car....

It annoys me when peopel are so brand loyal they have become whiney and closed-minded about anything new.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #65
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Czech-it-Out Send a message via MSN to Czech-it-Out

Yes I have no experience in a machine shop or with any kind of materials or manufacturing :rollseyes:

www.parmapse.com
Czech-it-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #66
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

I'm not sure you need machine shop or vast materials knowledge to evaluate these engines. A few guys tried the GO engines around here and did not like them. I think they did get decent life out of them but the performance/fuel economy was not what they were hoping for and there were some tuning issues.

To the guy with the RB. You probably have the engine too lean on top. Normally a high idle after full throttle run means the top is too lean. The S7 does not make great bottom end and a clutch that engages too early may fool you into thinking you need to lean the engine out. There are a few other engines out there with that problem.

Ultimately you will spend far more money travelling, paying race fees, and paying for tires than you will on an engine so it is best not to skimp too much in this area. The power band and stability of tuning are most important and fuel economy can also be an important consideration.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #67
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah OK I only mentioned metallurgy but you sort of helped me make my point. Just the same as he is probably not aware of the metallury, he also is probably not fully aware of the process or the tooling or the Q.A process... he states they must be bad as they are made in Taiwan and he knows of a few that didn't last.

Well I have two friends who crashed Ferraris so they must be a bad car....

It annoys me when peopel are so brand loyal they have become whiney and closed-minded about anything new.
Ferraris dont crash or destroy themselves. What hes trying to say is you get what you pay for. Most high end italian engines are the ones who hold the patents, R&D, and best machining processes to make tha top of the line engine. The knockoff companies like Go will buy those high end engines and copy the specs and make them with cheaper materials and infringing on patents and no R&D needed. Thats why they are so cheap. They let one company think it up, make sure it works, and put out the product then they get copied. The knockoff company undercuts the really company and takes sales and eventually the high end company goes out of business.

IIRC Go Tech .21s are Novarossi copies. I dont keep up on that company or its practices so i dunno what the rest of their engines are. This is like in the Car scene where come chinest company started making copies of the Mitsubishi 16G turbocharger. People were gullable and bought them like crazy off ebay. Then they started failing alot, some with 3000 miles, some with 10 miles the turbo would blow up. It really shows you what you pay for when you buy a genuine part because the genuine Mitsu turbos lasts for like 100K+ miles.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #68
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

here is how you know what engine to buy , it will say novarossi all over it
happy motorin',
monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #69
Tech Regular

will a .28 engine fit on a d8?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #70
Tech Adept

Yeah but fellas all is see is my Go 5 port keeps up with the motors that are twice the price, and people running them a lot longer then me are happy. Very happy, going by the posts in the Go tech threads on here and other fora. Guy who won nationals here with one is pretty happy.

I see just as many problems reported with v-specs

Just annoys me when people say they must be crap knock offs cos they are from Taiwan ...... when 3/4 of the people here have a RC car made with taiwanese bits ....... and most ppl here have a Japanese TV but 30 yrs ago if it was Jap it was crap apparently.
How do we know they didn't copy the whole manufacturing process and materials of the Nova, down to the last detail, but save money due to labour cost and less marketing?

Fact: they last just as long if treated right, failure rates in just about all motors are due to incorrect treatment / break in / tuning. I think a lot of the experienced guys who tried them didn't bother to find out they tune a bit different etc.

IMveryHO
Old 01-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #71
Tech Rookie

Thumbs down GRP promo kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerj3 View Post
I just received a RC8 for christmas and we gave my dad a MBX5T. How do we chose the right engines for these. The track we run on is a fairly tight technical track with some shorter straights. Is torque more important than rpm? Does the number of ports make a difference? Is a $400 engine really better than a $200 engine? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
anyone bought this engines yet?..seems like theres a problem with this new line of engines
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #72
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah but fellas all is see is my Go 5 port keeps up with the motors that are twice the price, and people running them a lot longer then me are happy. Very happy, going by the posts in the Go tech threads on here and other fora. Guy who won nationals here with one is pretty happy.

I see just as many problems reported with v-specs

Just annoys me when people say they must be crap knock offs cos they are from Taiwan ...... when 3/4 of the people here have a RC car made with taiwanese bits ....... and most ppl here have a Japanese TV but 30 yrs ago if it was Jap it was crap apparently.
How do we know they didn't copy the whole manufacturing process and materials of the Nova, down to the last detail, but save money due to labour cost and less marketing?

Fact: they last just as long if treated right, failure rates in just about all motors are due to incorrect treatment / break in / tuning. I think a lot of the experienced guys who tried them didn't bother to find out they tune a bit different etc.

IMveryHO
im not saying gos are junk, they might have picked up and done things right and changed things. I do knew when they came out the 5 port was a direct copy of a Novarossi 21-5.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #73
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redza View Post
will a .28 engine fit on a d8?
dont put a .28 in a buggy unless its a crappy sport .28 it will be way too much power, very difficult to drive, and it will more than likely chew up your diffs, your output drives, your spur gear, clutch, and bell.