R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default vspec engine tips

i have a new vspec, it has about 1/2 to 2/3 of a gallon thru it. I broke it in then raced it at the track last saturday. Im going to run it more around my house to get more fuel thru it, but this weekend i was going to start leaning it out and givin it a race tune since it will be pretty close to a gallon by this weekend so my question is..

whats a good temp for vspec? do they like to run cool or what. My dads runs around 220 after a 5 min qualifer in his buggy.... i was thinkin maybe 235-245 in my truggy what do you guys think

i know you dont tune by temp but temps also give a ball park

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

V-spec runs best around 220 here in AZ. It likes a little fat on top and a little lean on bottom, just a tick! After the 2 gallon mark, if you replace the bearings with TKO ceramics, and put in a new con rod, your engine will last longer than 4 gallons
Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
V-spec runs best around 220 here in AZ. It likes a little fat on top and a little lean on bottom, just a tick! After the 2 gallon mark, if you replace the bearings with TKO ceramics, and put in a new con rod, your engine will last longer than 4 gallons

GREEEEAAAT?? So whats the price for that? I've wanted a V-spec for a while now. (power and fuel economy, + easy to tune) But sheesh, I think that the piston and sleeve should be the fastest wearing part.

Deosn't the bearings in a RB or Novarossi last the life of the sleeve? Got 7 gallons on my WS7III. No play in con-rod or bearings.

Everyones scaring me towards the Novarossi +4. Say it ain't so.

Not trying to bash, just trying to learn about the V-spec. Sorry.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Tech Lord

You can bash all you want. I hated my Vspec from day one. I got mine with a cracked case, and a leaky front bearing. It was new from the factory sealed in air tight plastic bag, and I never ran it! OS would not replace anything. I had to get a new case and new bearings. It runs good now, but I would never buy another one.

On a good note i race at the largest track in the country, and about 30 racers have V-specs and they all love them. I got the one lemon in 1000 but that was enough for me to never buy one again. Also from what I hear, V-specs dont last very long. I'm only at the 1 gallon mark so I'm not sure.

I have a Jammin JPX .21 That I love, and I'm thinking of the New Nova +4, or the Odonnell engine next, or maybe a GO-tech, OS is off my list
Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Yup, everyones's running the V-spec here to. I hear a whole lot of: "If you take care of them they last." Then "CRUNCH" about three laps later! Every time.

So far I've seen: Carb midneedle assembly fall off. (the whole presseed on part), Conrod, block cracked, bearings.

No doubght its the fastest engine at our track on average. I don't want to "If you can't beat them join them" just yet. Maybe its the price of speed. Maybe its the extra performance they have thats killing them?

That +4 is looking real nice if it gets the mileage they say it deos.

Looks like the best way to keep a V-spec going is to change out the con-rod regularly and put in good ceramic bearings.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 01-14-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: martians can't spell
Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Who wants to deal with that hassle every 2 gallons. I will run mine till it blows up, then strip it down, and buy something else. The one thing I learned about racing is you need trustworthy, reliable engines, and parts. They can keep the V-spec. There's too many awesome engines out there for me to worry about all the potential disasters from OS
Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the ninja motors are basicly v-specs.grp is a good motor.and the prices are about to drop 40% soon.
smash8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

i have had excellent luck with my rb motors and probably will buy more of them in the future.. the vspec will be my next motor though
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Tech Elite

I'm with ya. It's an awesome engine right to the point where it wears out. Why I skipped it before for a WS7III. The WS7III had excesive power, not enough mileage. So I richened her up a tad and decided on an extra pit stop.

So I guess the best V-spec tips is to keep a close eye on that connecting rod. And watch the bearings.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i have a vspec that i run in a 8ight t and it's awsome. when i first got it i had a problem with the carb, os sent me a brand new motor with in a week. would i buy another one well that a different story. with all the other engines out and the way they r slashing prices. i think my next motor will b a grp tuned.
pballer2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Tech Elite

If you held out a GRP tuned in one hand and a V-spec in the other....I'd grab the O.S.

The GRP tunes weird. I put the GRP pipe on my RB and it really killed the power but helped my mileage alot. Was harder to tune as well.

The GRP tunes mostly by the bottom end. But if you don't get the top right, you'll be chasing your tail for hours.

In my mind the O.S. is perfect when its together. Just comes apart too quick. I liked tuneing the OS .28 xz.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
Tech Adept

i'm in the process of breaking in my 2nd GRP tuned
i absolutely LOVE it.
i went from the v spec to the GRP
ill never buy another v spec unless its VERY worth my money.
the way prices are dropping i could see myself buying another one soon
just for a back up.

i liked my v spec but i like the GRP just that much more.
karnao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

the further the prices drop the happier i will be!!
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

at my track, the Vspec is the fastest motor, no matter who drives it or tunes it. And by fastest, i mean fastest to send you to the hobby shop to get a new motor.

I love my GRP. But i like the new mugen/os motor, and really interested in checking out a reedy .21. Also the +4. So many motors, not enough time or money to try them all.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Tech Lord

I agree there's too many choices for me, but I tried and really love the Jammin/picco's and I dont know if I feel the need to try anything else