R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
The JX and Speeds do not have the same internals. One is 5 port and the other is 3 port. One has ceramic bearing, the other steel. The Speed crank is double slugged and filled, the JX has none of that. Only thing is that both have DLC coating. Adding to that, the JX rod looks like a Speed version, but doesn't have the poslished finish. This is what makes the differences in price. Also, JX I think only has one carb insert, 8mm or 7mm, depending if its a B01 or B01A, Speed has all 3 carb inserts.
The JX is a OS Speed sleeve to a T with the trasfer ports devided to make it a 5 port, 1 port is a few degrees lower, It has the exact crankshaft from a speed as well that is not slugged. Slugs just take the snappiness out of engines. The JX crank is filled. JX uses a OS Speed rod its just not polished. It IS a speed engine with very minor changes. Changes that dont affect it and will net the same power as a Speed. Carb inserts and accesories have nothing to do with classifying an engine. the Case is from the OS 28XZ, the head button is an OS Speed/Regular Vspec button. Ive seen one taken apart and timed.

I have Access to a Speed Alum and a JX 21. i can take side by side pics and measurements for you if you like.

Last edited by German Muscle; 01-18-2009 at 11:01 AM.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Question,

I've got an older V-Spec.. (old carb).. Runs great modded w/new TKO bearings... Noticed after the race today that it appears to be leaking oil or fuel... it's all over the underneath the neck of the carb. I think it's coming from the carb slid.. underneath the dust cover/bellows..although it hasn't affected performance.

I assume an can fix this with a o-ring replacement? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks
BuckarooGear.com
carlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #48
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosm View Post
Question,

I've got an older V-Spec.. (old carb).. Runs great modded w/new TKO bearings... Noticed after the race today that it appears to be leaking oil or fuel... it's all over the underneath the neck of the carb. I think it's coming from the carb slid.. underneath the dust cover/bellows..although it hasn't affected performance.

I assume an can fix this with a o-ring replacement? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks
you could replace the o-rings, and seal the carb whether it be a motor sealer or just hi temp rtv at the base. im not sure if your using the same carb boot or not but i would upgrade to the boot that the speed uses which is from the 30vg. part number is osmg5646
Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #49
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Muscle View Post
The JX is a OS Speed sleeve to a T with the trasfer ports devided to make it a 5 port, It has the exact crankshaft from a speed as well that is not slugged. Slugs just take the snappiness out of engines. The JX crank is filled. JX uses a OS Speed rod its just not polished. It IS a speed engine with very minor changes. Changes that dont affect it and will net the same power as a Speed. Carb inserts and accesories have nothing to do with classifying an engine. the Case is from the OS 28XZ, the head button is an OS Speed/Regular Vspec button. Ive seen one taken apart and timed.

I have Access to a Speed Alum and a JX 21. i can take side by side pics and measurements for you if you like.
I know that when GRP stopped making the Ninja motors, O.S. steped in. There is no reason to think that O.S. would make a completly diffrent motor. It wouldn't make very good business sence.

AND I QUOTE!

"Following on from the announcement by GRP that they would stop producing engines for the Mugen owned Ninja brand, comes the first pictures of the new OS made Ninja motors. According to our site partners Neo Buggy, “the engine, OEM manufactured by OS engines for Ninja, is loosely based on their V-Spec with some custom features: the crankcase is from the OS 28XZ engine and does not feature the distinctive OS ‘black’ coating, the sleeve port design is a bit different from the V-Spec, head design, the crankshaft appears to have the same ‘DLC’ coating as the OS Speed V-spec but without counterweights. All in all a mix up of a few OS engines and Ninja branding.”

The source of this is REDRC.NET. Saturday, January 26, 2008
GT2 / O.S. .12TZ MM / Hitec / JR-R1 / KO Propo

Last edited by booker686; 01-18-2009 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Adding
booker686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #50
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergman View Post
you could replace the o-rings, and seal the carb whether it be a motor sealer or just hi temp rtv at the base. im not sure if your using the same carb boot or not but i would upgrade to the boot that the speed uses which is from the 30vg. part number is osmg5646
Will do. Thank you
BuckarooGear.com
carlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #51
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Shim

Question,

I have a VZB v-spec #13890
Before breaking the motor in I added the extra head shim that came with the motor. I now have about a gallon thru it . Should I remove the extra shim or just leave it in. The motor has never been over 230 deg. I am running 30% nitro.

Thanks,
Neil
CapeFearRaceway.com

Last edited by nsgland; 01-18-2009 at 05:32 PM.
nsgland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #52
Tech Apprentice

How does it run? With my V-Spec I broke it in without putting in that other shim. I thought it was a spare. If you pull it out, your gonna get a little power boost. Mine would run all day at 235.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #53
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The engine is fine with stock shims up to 30% Nitro.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #54
Tech Apprentice

I don't think you'll have any issues if you pull that 2nd shim out. The motor came without it in. I was also running 30%.