R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Getting back to answering the original poster's question.....

I've had three V-Specs, and they've been happy and fast anywhere from 190 to 250 degrees. In general, they seem to be right once they're temping around 200 degrees. Use presence of smoke and engine performance as your guide, though.

The stock con-rod in the V-Specs are fine. They don't wear quickly. The tough part is that the crank pin is what wears quickly. I've only gotten them to last 1.5 to 2 gallons before they're out of tolerance on my engines.

The bearing problems the engines had back in 06 seem to have been resolved with the updated 9-ball rear bearings in 07. Run quality fuel, don't rev them hard when they're cold, and the bearings will be fine.

I took an expensive, but effective way to fix the crank pin problem. I installed a Speed crank and con rod in the two V-Specs I have now. You have to replace both of them. Costs about $150 to do the mod. The Speed crank has DLC coating on it so it won't wear out while Obama's in office, even if he wins re-election.

I've had to get the piston and sleeve pinched around the 2 gallon mark consistently. Do that, and they feel like brand new again.

These engines need more TLC than an RB, for example. However, when I had a teammate drive my car vs. his identical car that had an RB C6BB-T7 in it, he was surprised how much more low end my engine had, while having the same power on top. I've won several races on fuel economy as well.

Is it the perfect engine? No. Is it one of the best engines available? I think so!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Not trying to sound like a jerk but a $150 mod on a $300 engine, why not just buy the speed for $400, and not have to re-pinch, or rebuild?
Isn't the Speed considered cream of the crop?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #18
Tech Master

If own the engine already and like it (like I did) then this is the one-time solution to the wear problem it has. Buying the Speed is the best way to go from the start, but they need to be pinched on the same interval as the stock V-Spec too.

Nice sig, by the way.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #19
Tech Lord

NO WAY!!! The $400 speed needs to be pinched every 2 gallons?! Dude, you must really love the OS racing engines...Thank you for the heads up, 1 more OS off my list.. The only one left is the NINJA
Old 01-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #20
Tech Master

Pinch is relative to the particular racer.I like the motors I use now but dont like the powerband untill more than 2 gallons. If your motor will tune & hold it pinch is not a problem just a style. On the otherhand v-specs dont feel that good to me ater 2 gallons & I would consider a pinch after 3 gallons. Its all in how a motor makes you feel not the actuall performance because there are no dogs now adays. Where I race & with my humidity levels & then temeratures I run in My v-spec was very happy between 190 & 220 deg,again with my pipe & my clutch with the way I drive at my track. I do see the v-spec guys claiming an average of 210 no matter where & how they race. I would shoot for there depending on how you like your motor but as mentiond replace bearings & rods very often(compared to the motors I run) or you will be buying a crank soon. I would say 3 gallon rebuilds may get your crank into the 10 gallon or mor range.I wasnt so lucky with mine but I loved it before it died.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
NO WAY!!! The $400 speed needs to be pinched every 2 gallons?! Dude, you must really love the OS racing engines...Thank you for the heads up, 1 more OS off my list.. The only one left is the NINJA
$30 every two gallons will kill ya?

It sounds like you have a deep-seated hatred for OS. I don't, and I was willing to help the guy who asked about them.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

I have several v-specs and speeds with countless gallons on some of them. One I'm pretty sure has around 8 gallons on it, so I'm just now thinking about changing the bearings in it. I just run them and run them. Pinched every 2 gallons? Thats crazy! New rod after 2 gallons? Thats crazy too. Maybe its by luck that I have gotten 6 good Os motors, I don't know. I can even tell you that I cant remember the last time changing the plug on my buggy engine and I race it every week. Maybe your biggest track in the country Jazz is just a Os motor killer. Back to the original question, 212-235 is where mine seem to run. If its making good smoke and makes power don't worry about it. When you get up to 7-8 gallons change out the bearings. If it starts giving you trouble with power or tune then put a P/S in it with new bearings.
Darin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I purchased my Vspec last year it is an EB Mods motor and have had great luck with it. I have over 7 gallons thru it and is still great with good compression. It runs at about 230 deg after a 10 min main. Break-in is the key to a long lasting motor as well as bottoming the piston after you shut it off. I start my motors only after I have heated them up to 200 deg with a heat gun first to expand the sleeve thus elemenating wear and tear.
But sence OS riped off EB Mods and started using the design work from EB mods to produce the OS Vspec Speed motor I won't buy a OS Speed motor.
I am now looking at the new GO 5 port EB Mod motor cumming out it should be as fast as a Vspec and better economy. check it out at http://www.EBmods.com
Thunder Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #24
Tech Lord

I have to apologize to all you V-spec guys. i just got royally screwed by OS with mine, and I have to say the people at my track "The Nitro pit" that have them all love them and swear by them. i got a lemon, and OS told me to go to hell, so I guess I do have a deep seated hatred for them. I'll just shut up and let the people who got good ones (the majority) tell the story. I'm not here to start fights, but I got out of hand because I cant forget that conversation with the OS representative.................
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

OS speeds DO NOT need pinching after 2 gallons unless something went wrong with the break-in. We run 3 of them, one is going on 6 gallons with tight compression still. Has never been opened, only took off the head button to look at it recently. Plus, with this engine running about 12 minutes a tank, that a lot more run time per gallon than most other engines.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I have to apologize to all you V-spec guys. i just got royally screwed by OS with mine, and I have to say the people at my track "The Nitro pit" that have them all love them and swear by them. i got a lemon, and OS told me to go to hell, so I guess I do have a deep seated hatred for them. I'll just shut up and let the people who got good ones (the majority) tell the story. I'm not here to start fights, but I got out of hand because I cant forget that conversation with the OS representative.................
I've had quite a few brands of motors, and everyone has a lemon come out of the factory. I've seen OS, Nova, Axe, RB, etc all have an engines last 1-2 gallons.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Alot of the fast guys are runnin em. Must be a real race engine (meaning you have to rebuild it every race!). Seems like the fast ticket, scary that they seem to be the most hated engine durability wise on this site.

One third of them seem to have no problems, but they seem pretty serious. They could be repairing them alot to. Another third have all kinds of trouble despite the Os "being the best motor they've had". The last third couldn't give an objective opinion if it killed them. If its owned by them it must be the best (parts ego?).

Oh, the DLC hard coat on my WS7III wore off on the side of the crank pin that the con-rod pushes down on at around 6-7 gallons. No wear on the crank pin, just the coating gone. No play in con-rod at all yet. So I'd imagine that the coating on the Ninja and Speed add about 7 gallons life to the crank as well.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 01-14-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: full moon tonight
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #28
Tech Master

I spoke too soon on the "pinch at two gallons" thing. I'm just recalling that I had to pinch one of mine two gallons after putting the Speed crank and rod in it. My bad.

A buddy of mine has a Speed that he's pinched at four or five gallons, now that I think about it. We have access to a good engine guy locally, so it's cheap and easy to get the sleeves pinched, so we're probably doing that sooner than what is really needed.

I stand by the stock crank pin going more than .0015" out of round at around two gallons though. Both of my current engines did that. That could very well be how they were broken in though.

They're still good engines! I don't care what anyone says!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnao View Post
i'm in the process of breaking in my 2nd GRP tuned
i absolutely LOVE it.
i went from the v spec to the GRP
ill never buy another v spec unless its VERY worth my money.
the way prices are dropping i could see myself buying another one soon
just for a back up.

i liked my v spec but i like the GRP just that much more.
u got a pm

but, only 2 people have really answered my question. I love vspec. i was just checkin with everyone on theres. this is the first that i will be runnin in MY car but my dad has a good 4 gallons on his and i borrowed one that has 6.5 gallons and nothin were wrong with those. so idk what you guys did to yours

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Vspecs are great motors. In my buggy I can run it all day long with good power at 200 degrees depending on the weather, in the truggy it temps around 220-240.

The vspec in my buggy after 3 gallons I put in tko ceramics, new rod and this motor runs great. I run the ae2035 steel flywheel and the stock clutch setup
motor screams right past the +4's