R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Kyosho st us sports edition??

Hi,

I am new to nitro and just want a decent truggy for 400$ or under. Obviously I want a losi 8ight or jammin but its out of my price range. I willl be driving whatever vehicle I get in my yard and doing jumps with it. Also I will occasionally club race it. What I wanted to know is will this truggy be up to the task. Out of the box can this truggy give enough speed and durability for a beginner and will I ber happy with it. Also I am looking at the caster k8 and the hyper st from ofna. For the caster my lhs doesn't have parts and for the ofna I heard it isn't very good. So is the kyosho any good at all??
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Have you ever considered buying a used 8ight-T RTR or 8ight RTR? They come with a great raido, decent servos, decent tires, and a good engine/pipe.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Tech Master

Search on ebay and the rctech for sale forums for some great deals! I just looked thru ebay real quick and found a couple. Do you mind getting the 8ight B?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOSI-8IGHT-T-RTR...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Losi-8ight-...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Losi-8ight-Trugg...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/losi-8ight-buggy...1%7C240%3A1318

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 01-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

yes do you think that a buggy could suit my purposes?? Are they as tough as truggies?? Also as a beginner dont you think I should buy new to go through the motions with the engine break in?? Also any opinions on the kyosho??

Last edited by rgrassey@me.com; 01-13-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrassey@me.com View Post
yes do you think that a buggy could suit my purposes?? Are they as tough as truggies?? Also as a beginner dont you think I should buy new to go through the motions with the engine break in?? Also any opinions on the kyosho??
Never heard of the Kyosho st. What are your purposes again? What will you be driving it on? Buggies and truggies are both very durable, I havent broke a part yet on my 8ight rtr. But truggies are a little more durable, but IMO buggies are more fun!

If the person has a good feedback rating and has sold rc stuff before, and knows what he is talking about, I would be pretty confident.

When do you plan on getting it again?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

It is the kyosho inferno st us sports edition. I plan to be running it on pavement and grass with some decent size jumps while bashing and willl be doin some racing. What do you find more fun about buggies? I plan on getting this in early february.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
Tech Regular

i would actually recommend a used buggy, like the 8ight. buggys are just as tough as truggies, they will suit what you are doing just fine, and when you do races than if you get more into it and than go into truggy and race, the transition will be easier, due to buggies being little harder to drive.. you will gain more skill buggy, than truggy. and stuff is cheaped.. such as tires(pavement eats tires and truggy tires run almost 90 bucks for a pair of 4?)
Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I really dont want to buy used any new bugggy suggestions??
Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

The US Sports is fine. It's a solid buggy. I would suggest the Sports 2 as it comes with conventional engine mounts and clutch hardware that make it easier to change over to an aftermarket engine once the stock engine has some mileage. Everyone is going to have their opinion of course, but this buggy is also money well spent.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

what about the truggy??
Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
I really dont want to buy used any new bugggy suggestions??
Why dont you want to buy used?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Well, as a first nitro I would like to go through the break in process and everything that comes with a new engine. Also I have bought used before and have been dissapointed.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Well, as a first nitro I would like to go through the break in process and everything that comes with a new engine. Also I have bought used before and have been dissapointed.
Probably because you didnt know what you were looking for. I have bought ALL my cars/truck used, except 1, and in the end it was cheaper because I just had to replace a part or 2, if that. You bascially getting a car that is half the price, has already ben broken in, which alot of beginners dont do the break in method right. So as long as you get it from someone who is knowedgeable, it can be better than buying new because you can save up some money to get a new engine or parts!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I would look at the GS XUT and the TT ST1..both can be had for $299 both would serve your purpose well..The Kyosho st us sports is a "watered down version of their ST-R..The new XTM XST 4WD RTR Nitro Truggy w/XTM 24.7 Engine is really good and I have seen them go for $369..I have seen one race and was actually impressed with it..It worked really well and it was tough like their buggy..that would actually be my choice..The XTM 24 is a good motor..easy to tune..