Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hard starting w/ new os .12 tg

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Hard starting w/ new os .12 tg

I've been in rc for awhile and never had this much trouble starting a new engine. The motor is a brand new OS 12 TG w/recoil. I have set all of the needles to the stock positions and can only get it to fire for about 3-5 seconds. It then stalls and floods. I just cant get the darn thing to stay running. I tried turning the needle down a bit but it stills floods like crazy.

The fuel Im using is S&W 20% and is only 3 or 4 months old.

Any tips to help me firing this thing so I can break it in???

Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

RC,

Not to be critical... You are 100% sure the engine is flooding? You've pulled the plug and looked at it and it's really wet?

The little engines w/recoil starter, little being .18 and smaller, will suffer hydraulic lock if you flood it durring starting. Meaning the recoil won't be able to turn the engine over until you remove the plug and clear out the excess fuel from the cylinder. When you pass the point of enough fuel to too much fuel , you will notice the recoil getting harder to pull. make note of how much pressure you are applying to the car to hold it down when you pull the recoil, do you find yourself applying more pressure to hold the car down with each additional pull? Also when the engine runs for 3-4 seconds, is that w/ or w/o the glow starter attached?

A really rich setting will make a lot of smoke, spit fuel out the exhaust, and have a "burbbling" sound (like the exhaust is being vented underwater) and will die a few seconds after the glow is removed because the plug is getting too wet and cooling down.

If you answer YES to these questions, I can try to help you nail down the root cause.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Every OS engine I've ever owned has been just pig rich at the factory settings, just pushing fuel out of the pipe. Generally I try to lean the top until I can get it to stay running on the box while I heat cycle it. I've had a few where I had to lean the bottom a couple hours to keep it running.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

are you heating the crankcase at all before starting?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have owned several os cvr engines. The factory settings are too rich.

lean the low end needle by about 3 hours, and increase the idle gap. wrap the head in alluminum foil or cloth and heat the engine up with a hair dryer or heat gun to atleast 150 degrees. Start it and let it idle on a stand for about 5 minutes making sure the temp is atleast 200 degrees. do this about 6 times and you should be able to race tune your engine, just keep it slightly rich for the first half gallon.

I have done this with my last two CVR's and have gotten about 3-4 gallons out of them which is equavalent to about 10 gallons through a .21 size motor.