R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #16
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladconnery View Post
Front: Thinner/lighter fluid in the front differential increases off-power steering. You must be careful not togo too light as the steering will become grabby and inconsistent. If you experience this go one step heavier.
In general, thicker/heavier front differential fluid increases off-power stability and increases on-power steering.
Center: Using thinner/lighter fluid in the center differential tends to make the model easier to drive on
rough and slick tracks but allows it to unload easier under acceleration and provides less forward drive.Thicker/heavier center differential fluids offer better acceleration, increased on-power steering and lessoff-power steering. In general, using thicker center differential fluid is better on high bite and smooth tracks.
Rear: Using thinner/lighter fluid in the rear differential provides more corning traction and increases steeringresponse in the middle of the turn. Thicker/heavier fluids in the rear differential provide less steering in
the middle of the turn but greater forward traction.
So that means I would probably go to 5 in the center. It is a rough track, slick when the track is dry.

Ill go with 3 in the rear, oward traction is my highest priority.
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic
 
vladconnery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
So that means I would probably go to 5 in the center. It is a rough track, slick when the track is dry.

Ill go with 3 in the rear, oward traction is my highest priority.
Actually quite the opposite you have to much forward traction. The increased center diff wt7 added more power to the rear. Combined with the increased rear diff wt3. Made the rear diff have to much traction making it try to take over and pushing the rear out from behind the path of the front tires. Hence you kept spinning out. You can't spin out if the rear tires follow the path of the front. Also you said you like to brake and roll through the corners so you want more off power steering. You doing the exact opposite with a weight of 5-7-3. Your giving the car more on power steering and less off.

Try both and see how it works experimenting is the best way to find what works for you
__________________
KO PROPO EURUS
Kyosho: TKI3, TKIe Tekin RX8 Gen2
vladconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladconnery View Post
Actually quite the opposite you have to much forward traction. The increased center diff wt7 added more power to the rear. Combined with the increased rear diff wt3. Made the rear diff have to much traction making it try to take over and pushing the rear out from behind the path of the front tires. Hence you kept spinning out. You can't spin out if the rear tires follow the path of the front. Also you said you like to brake and roll through the corners so you want more off power steering. You doing the exact opposite with a weight of 5-7-3. Your giving the car more on power steering and less off.

Try both and see how it works experimenting is the best way to find what works for you
Actually, it was 2 in the rear, not 3. I am NOW going to try 5-5-3 in the diffs, along with a 3 degrees toe in in the rear and see how that works. I do see your point about how it could have TOO much rear traction and slide out.

Now what would you do as far as making it more stable and easy to drive?
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic
 
vladconnery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quick easy adj to take the edge off a losi is. Move your shocks on the shock towers to the inside position. Move the shocks on the arms to the outside position. This will make a losi more forgiving.
__________________
KO PROPO EURUS
Kyosho: TKI3, TKIe Tekin RX8 Gen2
vladconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #20
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 549
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I have a few observations:

1. Tires Tires Tires, if you don't have the right tires for the track you run at you will struggle. Find out what the good drivers are using and get a set. These days you can get 4 pre-mounted tires for less than $60. It's not cheap but you can't tune your car without the right tires. Personally, I'd look at the AKA tire line as they seem to be lasting a lot longer than the Losi or Proline stuff.

2. For a base setup I'd start with the "Stable and Easy to Drive" setup listed on Losi's site. The Drake Neo setups are for tight tracks and skilled drivers. I use the Neo 08 setup at my local indoor track and the turning is very aggressive, but that's what's needed on a small indoor track. However for a Novice on a faster track it would be tough to keep control with that much steering.

3. Changing diff fluid is a good fine tuning adjustment for track changes when you already have the rest of your car sorted out to your driving style. Things like tires, front toe, and camberlink settings are big changes.

Good luck and keep it fun!
GO-RIDE.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #21
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO-RIDE.com View Post
I have a few observations:

1. Tires Tires Tires, if you don't have the right tires for the track you run at you will struggle. Find out what the good drivers are using and get a set. These days you can get 4 pre-mounted tires for less than $60. It's not cheap but you can't tune your car without the right tires. Personally, I'd look at the AKA tire line as they seem to be lasting a lot longer than the Losi or Proline stuff.

2. For a base setup I'd start with the "Stable and Easy to Drive" setup listed on Losi's site. The Drake Neo setups are for tight tracks and skilled drivers. I use the Neo 08 setup at my local indoor track and the turning is very aggressive, but that's what's needed on a small indoor track. However for a Novice on a faster track it would be tough to keep control with that much steering.

3. Changing diff fluid is a good fine tuning adjustment for track changes when you already have the rest of your car sorted out to your driving style. Things like tires, front toe, and camberlink settings are big changes.

Good luck and keep it fun!
Thanks alot!!!

1. Im thinking of getting AKA premounted Ibeams medium. Then probalby cityblcoks up front. Whateer is the crimefighter equavelent.

2. Yea I found that out the first time I ran it. it has lots of steering, but was very hard to drive.
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread tyhodge07 Electric Off-Road 8898 11-17-2015 05:31 PM
Losi 8ight building and setup JBRacing Nitro Off-Road 8691 06-27-2011 08:43 AM
Adam Drake talks about the new 8ight 2.0 Sylvain Nitro Off-Road 545 05-30-2010 05:57 PM
losi 8ight T conversion hound_dogs_01 Electric Off-Road 334 06-10-2009 06:45 PM
Help me with racing setup Frosty56 Nitro Off-Road 6 03-17-2009 05:05 AM
Getting started:Tip's,Trick's,Newbie's come here! xsxracing Rookie Zone 59 01-03-2009 09:57 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:00 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net