R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default how to change front bearing?

need help or info on changing the front bearing in a RB motor..
Old 01-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Take off the cooling head, and the backplate. Remove the piston, sleeve, con rod, and crankshaft. Put the case in an oven at 500 for about 15 minutes to expand it. tap the front bearing and it should pop right out. Install new bearing while case is still hot. You can also use a heat gun, or a heating plate. the trick is to just get the case to expand enough to get the bearing out. If you let it cool too much you will have to reheat it to get the new bearing in..
Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Here is RBs info on that:

http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php...ncept%20engine
Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Although I agree the above mentioned heating method works, in most cases I'm never in a position to use the oven when it's time to replace the bearings.

Although nearly $150 this is a great tool to have:

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...dproduct=10023

In less than about 5 minutes you can change both bearings track side.

Ofna has this one for a good bit cheaper, it's a little harder to use and takes much more time.

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=3395
Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There's a great video on YouTube of a guy swapping out bearings in a ThunderTiger engine. I followed it and did the front and back bearings in my V-Spec with little to no issue. Wish I had a link for you. Do some searching and you should find it.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

+1 on the baking method.. it also helps to put your crank in the freezer while your motor is baking.. that will help the bearing slide in easier
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post
Although I agree the above mentioned heating method works, in most cases I'm never in a position to use the oven when it's time to replace the bearings.

Although nearly $150 this is a great tool to have:

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...dproduct=10023

In less than about 5 minutes you can change both bearings track side.

Ofna has this one for a good bit cheaper, it's a little harder to use and takes much more time.

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=3395

Those tools look awesome, and well worth the money, but I was always under the impression that you need to let the crank case cool around the front bearing in order to get a tight seal. how do you accomplish this without expanding/contracting the engine?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

GRP/Losi tools all the way. Warm the case with a heat gun before you put the front bearing in. When it cools, it will be perfectly sealed.

Plus, how many tools let you change front and rear bearing in 10 minutes.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Those tools look awesome, and well worth the money, but I was always under the impression that you need to let the crank case cool around the front bearing in order to get a tight seal. how do you accomplish this without expanding/contracting the engine?
Jaz, I'm sure there are 100 different methods much like engine break ins. I won't say any of them are wrong but I am just speaking of what I have done and seen done. While racing with Adam Drake and some of the other losi drivers they just pull the bearings out, and put em in and get back to racing. I have done the same thing with no issues. It's just when trackside it's hard to have a oven or some torch lying around to do all this stuff with, even more so when you travel. I like to have as little as possible

You should have zero problems if you invest in the grp tool and have to change bearings without heating. I have done it many times. At the worlds we had to run in the mud and I ruined a bearing. GRP changed it out in 5 minutes and it's still is perfect today

Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post
Jaz, I'm sure there are 100 different methods much like engine break ins. I won't say any of them are wrong but I am just speaking of what I have done and seen done. While racing with Adam Drake and some of the other losi drivers they just pull the bearings out, and put em in and get back to racing. I have done the same thing with no issues. It's just when trackside it's hard to have a oven or some torch lying around to do all this stuff with, even more so when you travel. I like to have as little as possible

You should have zero problems if you invest in the grp tool and have to change bearings without heating. I have done it many times. At the worlds we had to run in the mud and I ruined a bearing. GRP changed it out in 5 minutes and it's still is perfect today

Hope this helps.
Alan,

Hoping you mught have some insight into this issue. I have the GRP toolkit and it has worked flawlessly on the rear bearing, but it isn't working on the front bearing.

My engine is the stock engine in the Losi RTR 2.0 8ight Buggy. It seems the long cylinder behind the front bearing is too big for the tool. Is the stock Losi engine case not a standard size?

Thanks.

Last edited by Garet Jax; 07-09-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: fat fingered my typign
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote