R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 946
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default Nitro Motor Shimming for Pinion? Help

Quick question. New to Nitro. I need to mount my motor in my losi 8t. I have a dynamite mach .26 motor. It was in a kyosho st-r. When I bolt the motor in place it looks like the pinion gear (bell housing) needs to be moved forward a bit. I know you can do this by shimming. Question is if I shim it enought to get proper gear alignment it looks like my clutch shoes stick out from the bell housing to much? Any idea's?
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0 sirio evoIII
Losi 8ight T 2.0 .21 vpec-t
Associated SC8
Jammin Crt.5 .12 Picco
everyjuangohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
underway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,295
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Shim the entire flywheel out. Place shims behind the collet on the crankshaft.
underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 946
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by underway View Post
Shim the entire flywheel out. Place shims behind the collet on the crankshaft.
LOL. Duh!! Thanks
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0 sirio evoIII
Losi 8ight T 2.0 .21 vpec-t
Associated SC8
Jammin Crt.5 .12 Picco
everyjuangohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
rcjunky10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 2,160
Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by underway View Post
Shim the entire flywheel out. Place shims behind the collet on the crankshaft.
Just make sure that you the shims you use behind the collet are a precise fit, meaning the same OD as the collet, else you will get dirt and grime trapped behind the shim and this will lead to the outer shield on your front bearing wearing prematurely. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward.
rcjunky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 946
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky10 View Post
Just make sure that you the shims you use behind the collet are a precise fit, meaning the same OD as the collet, else you will get dirt and grime trapped behind the shim and this will lead to the outer shield on your front bearing wearing prematurely. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward.
Will do. Looks like I only need to move forward about just under and 1/8"
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0 sirio evoIII
Losi 8ight T 2.0 .21 vpec-t
Associated SC8
Jammin Crt.5 .12 Picco
everyjuangohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 946
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default

Ok what a pain in the ass this is. Last night I pulled my flywheel off the motor. The setup that was currently on the motor has 3 clutch shoes. I am going back to the losi clutch setup which has 4 shoes. So I put the correct collet on the shaft and then slip the flywheel with clutch shoes already installed and snug the nut down. I then slip the clutch bell over it and the shaft does not even stick out past the bearing in the clutch shaft. So I put a different clutch bell on and it's to short doesn't even cover the clutch shoes. What the hell am I doing wrong here

anyone? Thanks
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0 sirio evoIII
Losi 8ight T 2.0 .21 vpec-t
Associated SC8
Jammin Crt.5 .12 Picco
everyjuangohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
BOOST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pukekohe, New Zealand
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyjuangohome View Post
Ok what a pain in the ass this is. Last night I pulled my flywheel off the motor. The setup that was currently on the motor has 3 clutch shoes. I am going back to the losi clutch setup which has 4 shoes. So I put the correct collet on the shaft and then slip the flywheel with clutch shoes already installed and snug the nut down. I then slip the clutch bell over it and the shaft does not even stick out past the bearing in the clutch shaft. So I put a different clutch bell on and it's to short doesn't even cover the clutch shoes. What the hell am I doing wrong here

anyone? Thanks
You aren't doing anything wrong, stick with the losi clutchbell. The screw that is used with the losi clutch bell (not sure if other screws are the same??) has a washer with a raised part that sits on the crankshaft (when screwed in)...you then use shims on the screw to get the right end play. Also make sure that the clutch bell doesn't rub on the flywheel, if it does then place a shim under the oversized bearing and that will raise it up a fraction. Hope this makes sense...I attached a picture of the screw to aid in my explanation.
Attached Thumbnails
Nitro Motor Shimming for Pinion? Help-losa9103.jpg  
BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Tech Master
 
pballer2777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,775
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

also make sure u r using the losi collet.
pballer2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 946
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default

Thanks for the help guys. I got it resolved. I didn't notice the washer had that extra little nipple on the end. I need 2 small shims and now Im good to go. Gotta love the learning curve of RC stuff.
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0 sirio evoIII
Losi 8ight T 2.0 .21 vpec-t
Associated SC8
Jammin Crt.5 .12 Picco
everyjuangohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official: Novak's 1/8 Scale Nitro to Electric Conversion Kits NovakTwo Electric Off-Road 1144 01-04-2010 03:49 AM
2006 WESTERN CANADIAN TAMIYA CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES chrisman Canadian R/C Scene 273 07-12-2006 10:23 PM
Western Canadian TCS 2005 chrisman Canadian R/C Scene 629 08-30-2005 08:49 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:04 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net