R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Novarossi 367 Plus 2 issues.......

Hey guys,

I have a Novarossi 367 plus 2 .21 that only has about 2 gallons through it. Recently the front bearing started leaking and when I took the engine apart, the back bearing was a bit notchy. I ordered a new ceramic front and rear bearing from TKO and already installed them in the case. When I went to put the crank in, I had to lightly tap it to get it all the way in. When I finished putting the engine together, it sounded really loud when I rotated the crankshaft over by hand. I contacted TKO and the guy I spoke with was very helpful and told me that the taping I did when I installed the bearing may have damaged it. They replaced the bearing for me for free but I'm wondering before I install the new one if anyone else has had any luck with the TKO ceramic bearings for the 367? The guy from TKO I spoke with told me to polish the crank where the bearings go on the crank to ensure that I don't have to tap the crank in at all when I put the new bearings in. So that I know, are ceramic bearings any louder than standard steel bearings? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
shotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

i have had no problems with any tko stuff.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

OK, from what I know with the stock and the TKO ceramic is that the TKO fitment is definitely tighter. I have the 367 and rebuilt it. I decided to drop in the TKO ceramic rear bearing and the crank did need to be pushed or tapped in. I also noticed a dimension that was not the same as the stock. The inner race is flush with the outer with the TKO. Stock Novarossi bearing has a slight offset on the inner race to keep the crank web away from the outer race. After seeing this, I dragged the TKO back out and placed the stock Novarossi replacement back in instead. I'm still deciding on what ceramic to run in this Plus motor. Its not worth losing a new motor over a ceramic bearing I feel doesn't have the correct dimension.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I appreciate the advise! Actually, the TKO Ceramic that I installed has an extended inner race like the stock Novarossi. In fact according to the guy from TKO it's better than the stock Nova bearing because according to him the stock nova has an offset inner race where their bearing is flush on one side and extended on the other to help support the bearing even better. He really made it sound like the TKO is the best option.
shotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Tech Elite

I'll check on those dimensions again. I guess something might have changed. I sent an email off to TKO about the offset, but got no reply yet.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

use the boca stainless steel rear and tko ceramic front i havent found a good ceramic bearing yet that i would use in plus engines . if you insist on using the tko ceramic peter says to put the cage of the bearing facing the rear and the balls facing the front of the engine . when you are switching out the bearings , PUT THE NEW BEARING IN WHILE THE BLOCK IS STILL HOT !!! you will not have to tap on anything , i still lightly tap the crank in so it all seats in properly .
happy motorin' ,
monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
Tech Elite

I install the bearing and crank together cold in a hot case. It slides right in. After it cools, I remove the crank, which has to be tapped slightly, both removing and installing with the TKO ceramic. With the stock bearing, it slides in snug and with a JP crank it tighter, so I can't see using the TKO with the JP crank. The TKO has a tighter inner race fitment, more than stock.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

is it ok to heat up the case and bearing to install the crank shaft
nover367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
use the boca stainless steel rear and tko ceramic front i havent found a good ceramic bearing yet that i would use in plus engines . if you insist on using the tko ceramic peter says to put the cage of the bearing facing the rear and the balls facing the front of the engine . when you are switching out the bearings , PUT THE NEW BEARING IN WHILE THE BLOCK IS STILL HOT !!! you will not have to tap on anything , i still lightly tap the crank in so it all seats in properly .
happy motorin' ,
monty
i got the tko rear bearing. just curious as to why reverse it? does it work better that way?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenig View Post
i got the tko rear bearing. just curious as to why reverse it? does it work better that way?
For TKOs always put the balls facing towards the backplate!! This is the way MFRs do and the way TKO tells you to. There is a reason for it.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Sounds like someone needs to verify with TKO about the position.

I know it as offset of balls (side balls are closer to) face rear of engine and stepped offset of inner race should be one the same side. Most bearings are like this from factory.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Muscle View Post
For TKOs always put the balls facing towards the backplate!! This is the way MFRs do and the way TKO tells you to. There is a reason for it.
yeah well thats the way i thaught it was meant to go, just questioning the posts previous to my last one. thats all.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

look on the site where you bought the bearing , it will say "balls face forward" . i have talked to peter a few times about this and the company he had do the races made the bearing so the stepout so the crank doesn't rub on the inner and outer race was made on the wrong side (no big deal) the tolerance of the balls in the race created slop THAT is the issue i have with them i have gotten 1 14.5x26x6mm ceramic bearing from peter that was extremely tight tolerance and not so sure its a good thing either

happy motorin' ,
monty

i know novarossi
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

yeh, the first bearing i got was very sloppy, i had it sent back. the new one i got is alot better. i got them from amain though my lhs.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
look on the site where you bought the bearing , it will say "balls face forward" . i have talked to peter a few times about this and the company he had do the races made the bearing so the stepout so the crank doesn't rub on the inner and outer race was made on the wrong side (no big deal) the tolerance of the balls in the race created slop THAT is the issue i have with them i have gotten 1 14.5x26x6mm ceramic bearing from peter that was extremely tight tolerance and not so sure its a good thing either

happy motorin' ,
monty

i know novarossi
You might want to check on that info Monty.

http://tkocompetitiondev.com/product...roducts_id=361