R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default SC8/COOR style Racing

We were talking at the track today and were wondering if this class is growing around the country. We have quite a few racing them here in Tampa. Alot are transforming other brands into these as well. Just wondering if this is taking off as well in other parts of the country. Well at least where it isn't FREEZING.

BMI 1/10 & 1/12 Copperhead
Scapel, Losi 22, Jammin SC10, Wraith
rdcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

I asked some of the guys who have been racing for years at my local track. They suspected it would never take off, they cited the the reason that other than the looks there's no advantage to them. And with the cost and lack of competition from other manufacturers it's likely not to take off. It would be fun to watch though, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. Slash spec is likely going to be the only CORR action at our track.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Where are you located at.
Rickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickm View Post
Where are you located at.
Austin, TX.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Caster Racing will be coming out with one. It is just unfortunate we decided to do a few other projects first and it will be affordable.

At least you will have an alternative and it will be based off the 1.5 platform instead of the old platform.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I really think the CORR style truck racing would have recieved a nice kick in the pants if Kyosho would have released an 1/8 version of a CORR style truck, instead of a re-bodied, re-named DXT.

Also, if everyone starts to convert their buggy or truggy into one of these there is a possibility the manufactuers will catch on, kinda like the truggy evolution.

I enjoy watching the Slash class at my local track. There is lots of great side by side racing. 15 nitro burning 1/8 trucks would be much more entertaining.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:51 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Currently we get about 10 on a regular weekly basis and it is really catching on. We are starting to get alot of conversions because of the cost of the SC8. most in this class are expierienced racers and don't need the RTR engine and radio they just want a roller. I am currently converting a Losi 8 and we have som CEN's running also.
I hope this takes off because it is a fun class to run and extremely fun to watch.

BMI 1/10 & 1/12 Copperhead
Scapel, Losi 22, Jammin SC10, Wraith
rdcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
They suspected it would never take off, they cited the the reason that other than the looks there's no advantage to them.
Scale look is a lot of advantage right there. Many people are getting bored with the outlandish buggies and truggies. Even in on road there is a surge of people going to more scale looking racing. It ads a lot of fun to the racing, for some people...but it might not be for everyone. For myself and others it's getting us interested in racing again.

Part of the reason I don't think there has been as big of a boon in the SC8 style truck other than cost is CORR is only on the west coast. A lot of people haven't been exposed to the trucks or have not seen the racing on TV. Even in our area people comment about "how it looks like those truck they used to run in the Kingdome." (referring to arena trucks.)

I think this summer is going to help a lot, but honestly I don't think we'll see a peak in racing until the summer afterward.

Once more manufacturers come out with them, and once some race rollers or kits become available you will see more of them out there.
Wes Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe View Post
Scale look is a lot of advantage right there. Many people are getting bored with the outlandish buggies and truggies. Even in on road there is a surge of people going to more scale looking racing. It ads a lot of fun to the racing, for some people...but it might not be for everyone. For myself and others it's getting us interested in racing again.

Part of the reason I don't think there has been as big of a boon in the SC8 style truck other than cost is CORR is only on the west coast. A lot of people haven't been exposed to the trucks or have not seen the racing on TV. Even in our area people comment about "how it looks like those truck they used to run in the Kingdome." (referring to arena trucks.)

I think this summer is going to help a lot, but honestly I don't think we'll see a peak in racing until the summer afterward.

Once more manufacturers come out with them, and once some race rollers or kits become available you will see more of them out there.
We don't have a lot of spectators where we're at. Not sure if that's normal or not. The guys who are already racing 1/8 buggy/truggy most likely won't take the plunge on another form of 1/8 scale racing. We have the Slash class which everyone enjoys. As far as close knit racing goes, well on the big track with 8+ SC8's they'd still spread out. The Slash is fun because it's run on the much smaller 1/10 track. I see electric 1/8 scale taking off before CORR truck nitro racing. But who knows, I could be way off.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
We don't have a lot of spectators where we're at. Not sure if that's normal or not. The guys who are already racing 1/8 buggy/truggy most likely won't take the plunge on another form of 1/8 scale racing. We have the Slash class which everyone enjoys. As far as close knit racing goes, well on the big track with 8+ SC8's they'd still spread out. The Slash is fun because it's run on the much smaller 1/10 track. I see electric 1/8 scale taking off before CORR truck nitro racing. But who knows, I could be way off.
I will definitely disagree with this. Electirc 8th scale is not going to take off untill prices of batteries come down, and the cars become plug and play. I think right now that electric 8th is just not ready, and not consistent enough.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedmond View Post
I will definitely disagree with this. Electirc 8th scale is not going to take off untill prices of batteries come down, and the cars become plug and play. I think right now that electric 8th is just not ready, and not consistent enough.
I said I could be way off... but I'm thinking electric is going to make huge strides in 2009 for 1/8th scale racing.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

We had 3 in a class this past weekend in Tacoma.

I hope to see it grow. It allows for more rubbing and makes for a lot of fun on the track. Think nascar compared to the buggies and truggies being open wheel.
jerobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I really think these need an appropriate track though. Watching these things air out over a huge double kinda kills the whole "scale look". I think these would be fun on a larger 1/10th track. And it would make for closer racing.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
I really think these need an appropriate track though. Watching these things air out over a huge double kinda kills the whole "scale look". I think these would be fun on a larger 1/10th track. And it would make for closer racing.
I think you are right, on the right track they would be fun to watch, on a 1/8 scale buggy/truggy track I think they would get so spread out it wouldn't be that interesting. But these things are fast, on a smaller track they might be much to powerful for a small track.. But a larger purpose built track for their style of racing would be awesome.

10+ guys on the track driving SC8's like this would be cool to watch though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiPPnd81Y6E

Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

+100 on the Lipo prices need to come down, I mean in the last year they have alittle but I think that now that everybody and their grandma is making them the pices should drop. Then I will have a Caster Fusion Pro.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote