R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I bought an SC8 just to bash with. Its one of my favorite nitro rigs of all time, Its much different in that you can drift through the corners, and it jumps really well, not to mention the bad to the bone body. I would consider racing it but my local offroad track doesnt race these yet, only slash's. This class will take off if Losi makes one, I read somewhere they were very interested in the class, but wanted to wait and see how the sales of the SC8 did first. IMO I've yet to read a bad comment on the SC8, other than the cost, but really if you look at the price of some nitro monster trucks at $600+ the SC8 isnt so bad.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Our track is located in a local park that has alot of picnic area, horse area and BMX track. We get alot of traffic so we have alot of specators. It is where the old Winter Champs were held.
The price for the RTR I think is what was holding alot of people back in this area. When the first guy converted his buggy into one it got the ball rolling. I have a Losi 8. All I had to do was get a truggy chassis, shock towers and center drives. I got the Associated bumpers(Would have gotten Losi if they were available, HINT HINT) and with a little work they mount right on. If you havent driven one of these you are missing out.
i was talking to a guy today that has a 1/8 dirt oval with a large infield. He was telling me he was thinking about using the oval and setting up the infield to make a track for these and the Slash cars. That would be the ultimate.

BMI 1/10 & 1/12 Copperhead
Scapel, Losi 22, Jammin SC10, Wraith
rdcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #18

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

its all bout gettin folks to do it, and sadly its on a few, if not 1 or 2, to bite bullet and buy them to get folks interested. same right now goes for F1, pro10, and lipo-12scale. folks sit and wait for others to jump in b/c they dont wanna waste $ on a flavor of the mth. sadly thats when folks instead choose to go a 'safer' route by buyin a vehicle for the 'usual classes'

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

i think that the corr class will eventually take off.. as far as electric 1/8 scale goes i will not be excited to see it grow
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think this class could be the future of r/c. The scale looks are awesome! If you setup the rules so everybody is on the same tire and the truck has to be scale looking, It has to stay that way and not go like on road touring cars. "Spec Class" is a harsh word as there is no way to keep it spec unless you make it a claimer class. This could be a good thing keep people from putting a ton of money into their trucks and start working on driving and setups. Let's face it, most .21 engines put out way too much power any ways, so to keep the high dollar hot rods to a minimum you enforce a claim rule. I agree and I will push this class at my local track as well as other tracks I race at because they do look really cool!
tech5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #21
Tech Adept

The tire rule will be a great idea in a spec class. I even think if the class really takes off, AE should produce maybe 2 different tread styles than what they offer now, not radically different, just something to stir the pot a little bit.

In the meantime, check out this video i dug up on Youtube........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9ctc...eature=related

The SC8 isnt featured until about 6min in. It has a couple of pro CORR drivers talkin' it up a little, then it shows a few of them tearing up a track. Its really cool how they switch back and forth from the real trucks to the SC8, you will be amazed at how "scale" the SC8 looks.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminnay View Post
i think that the corr class will eventually take off.. as far as electric 1/8 scale goes i will not be excited to see it grow
I can't wait until full on electric 1/8 scale racing takes off. The winner of our expert main last Saturday was driving a Losi e-8ight 2.0, it was the only electric on the track. Granted he's a great driver regardless, but it was quite convincing just how potent the electric is. It's funny how relaxing electric is. When everyone is doing laps warming up there engine and refueling getting all the timing just right. He's just turning a few laps to ensure all is in order than waiting at the starting line. I appreciate technology and simplicity. I still love nitro, the noise and smell, but for me, greater performance that is simplified is just much too attractive.

Back on topic, I would love to see the CORR style taking off. But what would the rules encompass? I mean a converted 1/8 scale buggy might have an advantage over a purpose built truck. What would make up the CORR class? Just the body? In that case, you can probably race your SC8 in a Pro Modified Truck class w/ the Revo's and monster trucks.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWC View Post
I really think the CORR style truck racing would have recieved a nice kick in the pants if Kyosho would have released an 1/8 version of a CORR style truck, instead of a re-bodied, re-named DXT.
Except that it would probably be $1000 any very few would actually buy it.

The price of the SC8 seems steep enough for what you get, in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
Back on topic, I would love to see the CORR style taking off. But what would the rules encompass? I mean a converted 1/8 scale buggy might have an advantage over a purpose built truck. What would make up the CORR class? Just the body? In that case, you can probably race your SC8 in a Pro Modified Truck class w/ the Revo's and monster trucks.

I dont think pitting an SC8 against Modified Revos and LST2s would be a good idea. If the SC8 performs anything like its buggy platform, it would devastate a PMT on the track. Assuming all drivers are competative.

To the people that really would like there to be a 1/8 nitro CORR style class but dont like whats on the market now, Build your own!!!! Find a group of people in your area that share the same interest and provoke them to do the same. When local tracks all over the country witness racers roll up 10 CORR trucks deep, thats when the ball will start rolling.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I wish kyosho would've did what they did in the past and re-released the superflo f-150 instead of a 1/10th but they didn't. hopefully more comp will come out in this class as the SC8's are more than fun to watch and I am sure more fun to drive...but I still believe the Slash holds the title because price and beginners can even go race them...with an SC8 not so much

incase you're wondering about the old kyosho here's a pic:

this truck was bad arse....had scale handling and all only thing that sucked were the plastics were a little weak( or maybe it was the young driver i was like 14 when owned this)...I still have the body to:

..that's a streched e-rustler underneath it
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Damn, that truck is badass!!!! I would have to have a BIG bowtie on it though.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I dont think pitting an SC8 against Modified Revos and LST2s would be a good idea. If the SC8 performs anything like its buggy platform, it would devastate a PMT on the track. Assuming all drivers are competative.

Funny thing is we had a light class this week due to other racing in the area and we weren't supposed to race. We let a couple of Revos in with us and one won but was going head to head with a Losi conversion and a SC8 close behind in 3rd. Granted all these drivers were top notch.
The general idea at our track is the tire rule. The top roll cages have pretty much been discarded but all the guys that are converting other brands are finding a way to mount the front and rear bumpers and tire flaps. The tires are the limiting factor. Lets face it the things are basically buggys with truggy chassis or Truggys with buggy arms. It is just as hard to tell an Associated buggy from a Losi or other brand on the track as it is to tell an SC8 from one of the converted ones.

BMI 1/10 & 1/12 Copperhead
Scapel, Losi 22, Jammin SC10, Wraith
rdcracer is offline   Reply With Quote