R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Long time TC guy going offroad

Well ive been racing electric onroad for the last few years and consider myself pretty knowledgeable in rc, Except certain things about nitro off-road,

ok here's the deal i'm getting a mbx5r for free with no engine, i'm looking at engines but have no idea which shaft i need, on that same note i know its not coming with the flywheel or clutch/clutch bell. Do i need a mugen flywheel and clutch set up? do they come with the bearings i need? which shaft motor do i need?

(the motor i was looking at was O.S. Max .21 VG-P Pilot Shaft Sport Engine for centax clutches)

also since almost all my money is sank into my onroad stuff, what will be some cheap servo that will still offer decent performance, i dont think i need anything to fast as our new track layout is open and free flowing with minimal sharp turns.

thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction.
Durango Dex210--Futaba--Trakpower--Tacon 8.5
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaDC View Post
Well ive been racing electric onroad for the last few years and consider myself pretty knowledgeable in rc, Except certain things about nitro off-road,

ok here's the deal i'm getting a mbx5r for free with no engine, i'm looking at engines but have no idea which shaft i need, on that same note i know its not coming with the flywheel or clutch/clutch bell. Do i need a mugen flywheel and clutch set up? do they come with the bearings i need? which shaft motor do i need?

(the motor i was looking at was O.S. Max .21 VG-P Pilot Shaft Sport Engine for centax clutches)

also since almost all my money is sank into my onroad stuff, what will be some cheap servo that will still offer decent performance, i dont think i need anything to fast as our new track layout is open and free flowing with minimal sharp turns.

for a servo check out a hitec 645-MG or towerpro MG995 ($10 apeice on ebay)

AFAIK you don't need a mugen flywheel and clutch, any 1/8th scale setup will work.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaDC View Post

you need an SG style crankshaft ....a mugen flywheel , clutch nut and clutch bell ...probably a 13 tooth , you need 5x10x4 bearings ....most use rubber sealed .but you can use metal sheilded .....on the motor if you want to go cheap but decent look here
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/31073
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/1804
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/19647
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/1797
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18374

you can go cheaper than the mugen clutch stuff ..just be sure all compnents are the same .....flywheel,clutch nut and clutch bell ...if they are not all the same type you will have shimming probs ....

on the servos those are the bare minimum ....you can spend much more and get greater results ...hope thats what you wanted

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Stay away from the VG seires of engines offered by OS. Even with an experiencd tuner, they will start giving you problems at around 2gal of fuel. If you want to use OS engines the V-Spec (black case, blue head) will be the better choice.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You should be able to use most any clutch setups as long as you go with the same brand flywheel, flywheel nut, shoes, clutchbell. Personally I love the ae style clutch setup. I will carry that part of the car over to any other car I switch to. Plus you can buy new shoes for the ae style for 12 bux compared to 19-20 for any other. impulse-rc.com for the shoes.

That said, I would not recommend the vg engine either. You can pick up a cheap nova or gotech for not to much more that will double the lifespan if not more. I would not recommend buying used engines either, to much hassle and can make a person quit nitro. If you want to have fun then buy new.

A 10$ servo will not cut it in buggy. Unless you find say an airtronics 94358 for ten bux. But that isn't gonna happen..lol
Anyhow you'll end up spending some coin on servos, at least the steering one, I recommend analog also.. but that's a personal choice everybody has to make.
If you look up the specs of an air 94358 those are what I would shoot for. There are many great servos out that you can't go wrong with. An airtronics 94357 is the lowest stats I would go for steering in a buggy..

Sounds like you're a rc guy in the know, just a different form.. so you know how it goes - get what ya pay for, buy cheap buy twice.. blah blah blah.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Mugens are tough as nails!
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+2 on the don't buy an os vg. mine only lasted 2 gallons and i have been running nitro for 10+ years. The VG just doesn't hold up.

I wouldn't buy a cheap servo either. Spend a few extra bucks and get a pair of Ace or AE 1313. They are fast, strong, and durable.

For engines, I would suggest GO 3, 5, 7 port, RB S5, jammin jpx. 21. Those engines are in the low $200 range and will give you much better life and performance than a OS VG.
kevinmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

exactly all the info i needed.

THANKS GUYS
Durango Dex210--Futaba--Trakpower--Tacon 8.5
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

On engines, I would go with a V-Spec or Nova 21-4. They have enough power , tune easy and parts are available. As for clutches, I suggest the Mugen clutch assembly. Try to snag one off Ebay for an MBX6. The CB is just a bit longer on the toothed end, but not a problem with the 5R. All the other parts are the same.