R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down hyper st and engine???

they have hyper st rtr's on ebay for $370.00. im going to buy one since ive wanted one for a while. now i have afew questions. you may ask yourself whys this guy want an rtr. ell for one there ready to go. two i love to wrench so learning my new rc wont be an issue, and three you can up-grade almost all the parts of an rtr for basically the same parts you might get w/ a kit. plus when you do hop-up or replace you now got a spare of whaat ever you replaced(unless its broke). so, whats the word on the macstar .28?. im probally going to put the engine i want in pretty soon after i buy it. which leads to another question.would a adam drake trinnity .28 truggy engine work w/ the hyper rtr or are is it not a direct drop in. also is there a another engine that you know of as a great truggy engine maybe i should consider. i think thats everything i needed to know. well thanx: from the future, clay unruh
1cougar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Macstar .28

I have a Macstar 28 on my Hyper 7 PBS. Half a gallon through it so far, running good. Only hiccup was the pullstart, which exploded on the 12th tank. The engine starts quick but the pullstart is poorly designed. It was also causing an air leak. I put a backplate on there instead and now use a starter box, and it's pretty much trouble free.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

Check nitrohouse. They have the pro kit for 349 and I believe the rtr is 379.
rceefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

I would check at nitrohouse.com, Amainhobbies.com, and ebay to find the lowest price.
Dalepad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

yo i already found a place to buy . if you reasd mypost it says i know ebay has them for $370.00 plus shiping. about the same price at nitrohouse, anyone have he answers to the trinity .28 question?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

sorry about that. The trinty .28 is a drop in with no mods. If you are going to be racing get a .21 you will get better milage with one and it will have almost the same power. Alot of people with the hyper st run the jammin jpx.21 with the pcr 2027 with the 053 maifold and like it.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalepad View Post
sorry about that. The trinty .28 is a drop in with no mods. If you are going to be racing get a .21 you will get better milage with one and it will have almost the same power. Alot of people with the hyper st run the jammin jpx.21 with the pcr 2027 with the 053 maifold and like it.
I have a pro for sale brand new, just built with the Jammin .28 2027 pipe, 4 sets of tires, starter box, extra starter wheels, and extra starter motor

$500 for everything, no radio, reciever, or servo's. PM me for pics. all itmes are new, 15 minutes runtime. engine needs heatgun, some extra shock parts also.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Tech Master

You'll need to replace the front knuckle arms as those are usually the first parts that break. Also consider replacing the rear brace with the pro version. An OS .28zx would rock on this. I would also look at the offer from Jaz sounds good since you'll need to replace the electronics anyway.

Oh and as a personal preference I'm not too crazy about the side opening tank and replaced mine with an X1 CRT tank. Some guys use the Mugen MBX5T tank but that would require drilling new holes on the chassis.
Hobao Hyper7/GO 3port .21
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Did the crt tank fit with no mods? I was told the only 2 that would fit where the mugen and the kyosho but was told the kyosho one breaks easily.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cougar1 View Post
they have hyper st rtr's on ebay for $370.00. im going to buy one since ive wanted one for a while. now i have afew questions. you may ask yourself whys this guy want an rtr. ell for one there ready to go. two i love to wrench so learning my new rc wont be an issue, and three you can up-grade almost all the parts of an rtr for basically the same parts you might get w/ a kit. plus when you do hop-up or replace you now got a spare of whaat ever you replaced(unless its broke). so, whats the word on the macstar .28?. im probally going to put the engine i want in pretty soon after i buy it. which leads to another question.would a adam drake trinnity .28 truggy engine work w/ the hyper rtr or are is it not a direct drop in. also is there a another engine that you know of as a great truggy engine maybe i should consider. i think thats everything i needed to know. well thanx: from the future, clay unruh
i had .28 drake platinum good motor but after a gallon of fuel i had to seal carb
RCP Customs
rkhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalepad View Post
Did the crt tank fit with no mods? I was told the only 2 that would fit where the mugen and the kyosho but was told the kyosho one breaks easily.
I had to change the way the tank posts were mounted (the screw goes in to the chassis hole for the guide) other wise no other mod was required.
Hobao Hyper7/GO 3port .21
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Thanks alot for that info.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

are these hyper st trucks good? I am very interested in one but am a beginner so can this be easily tuned and will it run fine and long without any mods. If I am going to "have to" make any mods from stock right away I would shy away from this. I just want something wih good power stock until I have the expertise and money to make mods. So my question is the rtr fine stock?
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would have to say as a RTR version you are better off with the Losi truggy. The pro kit is awesome, but the RTR has been severely stripped of all the pro parts. Not to mention the terrible engine, servo's pipe, and radio. The Losi RTR has one of the best RTR engines on the market, and definitely one of the best radios. plus its a roto-start, so you dont have to pull the rope until it breaks, or your fingers bleed, also it comes with rechargeable hump pack wich makes the crappy servos a little less crappy
Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Cool

thanx for the heads up, but im getting the st because all the crappy stuff, engine, servos, plastic parts, can be upgaded to the pro version where your going to buy that stuff anyway, radio, servos, receiver, battery. and as for the alum. or carbon fiber upgrades that come w/ the pro im going to be buying most of those to drop into my rtr. your going to be paying the extra cash for the kit pieces anyway. and im planning on using my dx2.0 w/ a new spektrum receiver. and ill probally up-grade to lipo. so ill have the same radio and all new good parts for just a little more $. and ill have all the old parts for quick replacement parts for my use too.. do you own a hyper st cause id like to get some feedback on what there like to own, ive heard a lot of people who like theres a lot. oh and one last thing. ill purchasing a 8ight-t as soon as the 8ight-t 2.0 comes out. maybe not right away but i definatly will have a 8ight-t someday. you know theres a lot of trucks/truggies/buggies that i want to own some day(believe me i have a list thats constantly changing)and the hyper st is up there at the top of the list. thanx agian for your info, clay