Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
RB S3II L2G Engine >

RB S3II L2G Engine

RB S3II L2G Engine

Old 01-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default RB S3II L2G Engine

Anyone on here use this engine or have used it? Seems like a nice price for RB quality. I know its just a 3pt but i dont need awsome power as i only am a weekend warrior. A friend let me run his back-up engine, an RB C5 and i really like the buttery smooth power it puts out. Will the S3II have similar power characteristics? Any pipe reccomendations? I have a JP-3 and a Novarossi 9901 pipe with RB01351-192p header that i could use but i am up for a new pipe if there is one that will make this engine perform better than the ones i have now. I used the Nova/RB pipe on the C5 and like i said it was buttery smooth with runtimes in the 8-9 min range using an 8mm venturi on a slick, low traction track. This will be run in a buggy.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If you have not already bought the S3. I suggest the S5 its a few dollars more and is the better choice. I ran the S3 great engine real smooth. Thumping bottom end ok on top. The S5 would provide you with as much bottom and a waaaaaay better top. It would be more versatile than an S3 and last a long time like any RB. Thats just my .02 cents worth. It's better to have the extra power and speed and not need it. Than to need it and not have it. Last time I check the S5 was basically $40 more.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the S3 and love it. If you drive on a small track, I would go with it, but if you run or will run on a larger track, I would agree and go with the S5.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
If you have not already bought the S3. I suggest the S5 its a few dollars more and is the better choice. I ran the S3 great engine real smooth. Thumping bottom end ok on top. The S5 would provide you with as much bottom and a waaaaaay better top. It would be more versatile than an S3 and last a long time like any RB. Thats just my .02 cents worth. It's better to have the extra power and speed and not need it. Than to need it and not have it. Last time I check the S5 was basically $40 more.
+1 The S3 is a very good engine but the S5 beats it in all catageories. I run the S5 in my buggy and couldn't be happier. It has a smooth but strong powerband, good runtimes, easy to tune and since its an RB it will last forever. If you want to stick with the S3 it will be a great engine but if it were me I would get the S5. The S3 is $185 and the S5 is $235
Old 01-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

the S3 is a very good engine...easy to tune. pipe wise..try an RB 2020 with a short header and hang on. have not tried the JP3, but i am sure it will work well.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

i agree but the only place it lacks is down the main straight thats all if your track is large with more than 1 long straight go with the s5 but if it only has 1 straight that is 30m or more and the rest of the straights are shorta go then there is no need for a s5 the acceleration of the s3 is just so dam impressive
Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default Thanks for your replys....

My local track i race at as much as i can is tight with zero time at full throttle except for the front straight. At least it was. The owner is changing the layout but he is only making it about another lane deeper so it might not be that different.
You guys have almost talked me into an S5 because it wouldnt be that difficult to save another $50, even if I do buy a pipe. Also, i just found out after my last post there is a local club race points series in the area starting in March that will feature a few tracks that are quite larger than my local club. The extra top end that the S5 will offer over the S3 may help....
But the S3 with the right pipe and tune, use one of the larger venturis, and go up a tooth on the clutchbell should get me by with no huge difference in performance right?? I could spend that $50 on another set of tires for the series! I think that would make more of a difference in being competitive through the series than a few more thousand RPM up top. Any opinions on my theory?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Where do you race?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vladconnery
Where do you race?

I race in the Charlotte area. I live in Lincolnton and race at Nitro Valley in Cherryville every chance i get. Are you going to be participating in the club series?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Cant wait till the NC series
Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
+1 The S3 is a very good engine but the S5 beats it in all catageories. I run the S5 in my buggy and couldn't be happier. It has a smooth but strong powerband, good runtimes, easy to tune and since its an RB it will last forever. If you want to stick with the S3 it will be a great engine but if it were me I would get the S5. The S3 is $185 and the S5 is $235
what pipe do u run and/or try'd ?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes I am and if you live in the Charlotte area. You are definitely going to need to get a 5 port. Your home track is short but we have plenty big tracks in the area. Don't forget you have access to The Farm. S5 is the smarter buy for you. We have more tracks in our backyard than practically anyone. Most people are lucky if they have one track within 90 miles. Do you know you have dang near 10 tracks within 90 miles not including the private tracks.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

x2

i wouldnt trade my s5 l2g w/turbo button for nothing. i get about 12 minute runtimes w/086 and the thing keeps up w/everything. 4 the extra dough id go s5 no doubt..if you want to save $ which you spoke of, but then said youd get a new pipe as well then the s3 be ok. but you get the s5 and use one of the pipes you already have youll be pleased gauranteed
Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Yea Vlad, we are lucky to have such a selection of class act owners and tracks in the Charlotte area. I think this is the place to be on the East coast. The scene aint as big as SoCal, but the tracks are there.

So im thinkin the S5 may be the ticket. Can i expect the the same performance from the Nova/RB pipe i used on the C5? Im guessing the "S" engines are an evolution from the "C". Is this correct?

I really like the way that C5 put the power out. Hopfully this engine will be similar, that would make the decision that much better.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

You will be fine with that pipe. It's not going to cost you any races. Pipes are not 1 size fits all tracks. You may want to run 1 pipe to gain more bottom on a short track. You may want to run another pipe to gain more top end on long track. Pipes are a tuning tool as much as tires are. Run what you got and if you run across a 2045 at a great price get it. It will be another tool in your arsenal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.