R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Interesting Thread!!

I ran a losi eight 1.0 all last year in the CORCS (canadian off road championship series) and i loved the eight handling wise, it did feel it was twitchy at the start of the year, probibly becuase i was not used to its handling. Once i got the set up that i wanted it just drove like a dream. What i am getting to is, I want the 2.0 for this year but the price tag is a little high, and since i run a HB cyclone on the carpet which i love, im almost tempted to purchase the D8 for the price i dont thnk that the losi is that much more a buggy over the HB D8 and its always the driver that makes or breaks a fast lap, Hara won the worlds with the D8 not the other way around saying that I really care about single lap speed and of course consistency. What i find is making a single mistake per lap you loose way more than just a 1/2 sec especially if you need to be marshaled, taking everything in to account you would be slower with the D8 regardless of how many mistakes you made right??? Since the losi can string together faster lap times!

What do you guys think??
1RC_ROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Not sure I completely understand what you are saying but I will say that consistency is the key to winning and improving. A mistake that costs 15 seconds in just one lap negates 2-3 second faster lap times over 5 laps. Additionally, one extremely fast lap does not compensate for 4 that are rubbish. Typically, that extremely fast lap is only 2-3 seconds (maximum) faster than the average lap. If you look at Hara's (or any driver at that level) lap times, you will see very little deviation from their average lap time. If his buggy was not conducive to his driving style, his lap times would have been all over the place and the results would have been much different. This goes for him or anyone. For a driver to improve overall performance, the time spent during practice sessions must be used to address consistent problems, not the odd happenstance. However, if there is no consistency, there is no way to determine exactly what areas to address.

I can in no way recommend one buggy over any other for anyone else but ME. There really is so little difference in quality and capability between the top tier choices that it is ludicrous to debate. Threads like these frequently result in page upon page of cheerleaders extolling the virtues of their favorite with no real help for the person who originated the thread.

For the rare responders who (like some of the responses here) state that one buggy FITS THEM better than another (and why) without detailing how all of the other choices are crap...GOOD ON YA! That is the kind of information that helps people choose.
rstnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstnboy View Post
Not sure I completely understand what you are saying but I will say that consistency is the key to winning and improving. A mistake that costs 15 seconds in just one lap negates 2-3 second faster lap times over 5 laps. Additionally, one extremely fast lap does not compensate for 4 that are rubbish. Typically, that extremely fast lap is only 2-3 seconds (maximum) faster than the average lap. If you look at Hara's (or any driver at that level) lap times, you will see very little deviation from their average lap time. If his buggy was not conducive to his driving style, his lap times would have been all over the place and the results would have been much different. This goes for him or anyone. For a driver to improve overall performance, the time spent during practice sessions must be used to address consistent problems, not the odd happenstance. However, if there is no consistency, there is no way to determine exactly what areas to address.

I can in no way recommend one buggy over any other for anyone else but ME. There really is so little difference in quality and capability between the top tier choices that it is ludicrous to debate. Threads like these frequently result in page upon page of cheerleaders extolling the virtues of their favorite with no real help for the person who originated the thread.

For the rare responders who (like some of the responses here) state that one buggy FITS THEM better than another (and why) without detailing how all of the other choices are crap...GOOD ON YA! That is the kind of information that helps people choose.
Well said,

I really wanna give the D8 a try this season, i wont purchase it unless i can give it a try or at least word of mouth from some local racers. don't mean to toot my horn, i keep my mistakes to a minimum with the Losi while driving the sh!t out of it,the 8ight 1.0 dosent like to slide around kinda of 'all or nothing" handling, either you nail the apex or blow it, thats my fave attribute of the 8ight buggy at least i know that as long as i can drive the car were it needs to be it will hold the fastest speed/line around the track. I guess i would rather "have it" and not need it then need it and not have it (handling/agility). there is lots of time before the snow melts here in canada Eh! i'll take my time with a decision, but im still 60/40% leaning on the D8 unless....................
1RC_ROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would recommend the Losi
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I raced the Losi for a few months and I was quite quick with it, but I was inconsistent though. At the time, I switched to the Hyper 8.5 and overall, I was much faster because I was able to be consistent with that car.

I had a jammin x1x and I was consistent but slower with that car. I know have a D8, and my first race night with it (really the first day with it as well) I was faster and more consistent than with the jammin. I just made fewer mistakes because the car is so consistent.

Consistency, then speed wins races.. my choice is the D8 for those 2 reasons. I will say, not every car fits every driver though.
Answer RC USA
Fastlane Graphix
free2day77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftProjectR View Post
i personally say go with the d8. i have/had both the losi 1.0 and 2.0. personally they are not forgiving Rigs. they are very fast, but miss a beat and your all squirly and everywhere. for a well season driver this makes it fast and agile, for us club racers/partial sponsored drivers that means less consistent lap times.

the d8 in the other hands is a little bit slower, but much more forgiving then the losi.

also the hb has some new parts coming out this month for the d8 which are suppose to be much lighter. i have most of the parts besides the chassis.

it really makes a difference.

good luck!
Yes the 2.0 is good! i had to tweak my setup to get it to fit my driving style. I went with adam drake camber and toe and 7,000 center. Now i havent flipped in 2 tanks!

8ight 2.0 Eb mods vspec 3pk
Nitrorcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

I know they say support your local hobby store. But most racers buy online because you can get everything you need in one place. It saves you money in the run long in most cases
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

I can't decide between four. the D8, 8eight 1.0 or 2.0 and the Hyper 9.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would say get the one your LHS supplies parts for.It seems no mater how prepared for parts you are you still forget something at the worst time Also if you know someone with the same buggy to exchange setup tips specific for your track and chances are your skill level as appose to say Adam drake (tho good reference point) is priceless and just a good all around experience If both apply then get the one you like. Most of the buggys out now seem to be in the same ballpark.
With that said i went with the 8ight 2.0 jk
buggydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #25
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasupacat1 View Post
I can't decide between four. the D8, 8eight 1.0 or 2.0 and the Hyper 9.
If you want to save some cash I would say look at the 8ight 1.0 and the D8. There are some haters on here that smirk at any buggy/truggy that's under $500 but that's mostly because they haven't driven one.

The D8 and the losi will serve 99% of all racers just fine. If you prefer to have a buggy that needs a more precise driver with quick response and you have a smooth throttle finger the losi would be better suited for you.

If you want to be able to drive hard and fast into a turn and drive more aggressively then the D8 will serve you great.

Everyone on here gives biased opinions based on what they own most of the time. But in all honesty I have owned so many buggies and truggies that it's not even funny. I think there is very LITTLE difference in any of the top cars right now. It's mostly owner preference on what appeals to them the most.

Get what YOU like and it will perform as good as YOU can wheel it. NO car will make your driving skills magically improve as only putting in the track time will do that for you.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

For the money you cant beat the Losi 1.0. You can also upgrade as you go to the 2.0. I think they are 299 at amainhobbies.com.
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
For the money you cant beat the Losi 1.0. You can also upgrade as you go to the 2.0. I think they are 299 at amainhobbies.com.
And $279 at losipartshouse.com.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

I am a very new racer who just purchased the 2.0, I am very happy and have yet to have any problems. You have very good support world wide with losi. That is local or online. At any rate, coming from a new driver my 2.0 is stable and fast and should be a good fit for anyone. I emailed "ABURTON" on this thread and got a super friendly setup that suits newer less agrressive drivers.

I also ordered from carolinasrc.com and once the buggy was in my cart I noticed it was $539, I took advantage of a $65 coupon code and got it for Less than $475. It came race ready, trimmed body, glued wheels/tires and like I said has suited me well.

I thought about some of the cheaper buggies myself. Although I care not to get in a war as we all have opinions I think overall the Losi 2.0 cost more because it is more. Although it cost a little more you will be happy. The company has a larger team who is very helpful here and other forums. Some key names are obviously Adam Drake, Casey Peck, ABURTON, along with many other guys who I see helping on this forum.
AaronLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Damn good post AaronLee... Support is important.... I think if you have the coin for the Losi.... It's the best supported car on the planet.... I might be changing my avatar soon..
underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #30
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by underway View Post
Damn good post AaronLee... Support is important.... I think if you have the coin for the Losi.... It's the best supported car on the planet.... I might be changing my avatar soon..
That why i am going with the LOSI!!!!

Mike
Triton3d is offline   Reply With Quote