R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default truggy tire question

How do i know what tire i need far as track surface and compound? And what are the best truggy tires to buy?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

I have seen alot of people using proline LPR tires. A very popular one is bow-ties in the back and crime fighters on the front. On my buggy if the track is tacky I use a M-2 or XTR. If the track has soft dirt I will use a M-3 or M-2. If the track is very dry and packed I use a hole-shot in a M-2 compund. Its best to find what tire and compund suits your driving style so try differnt ones. Hope this helps
Dalepad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

AKA's will be your best bet....Proline tires dont last too long compared to other's....and the foams are JUNK.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i used aka and proline.

And i was happier with proline. Aka is nice dont get me wrong, i will buy aka more to try all the types but i race at two different tracks. I run M3 bow-fighters(bow ties and crimefighter)..... Wear is good. Ive ran 22 min total of qualifers and a 10 min main and there is little to no wear. i just wish m3 came pre mounted because my glueing skills suck. this is all on my truggy btw

My akas that i run on my buggy get great traction on one track but suck on another even tho they have the same track qualities. Those came pre mounted and theres not even one spot that has lifted. they only have 15 min total of run time on them and they have NO wear

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:09 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Panther gator in the 38 series..works everywhere we have tried them and they last a long time.

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For a Truggy I would suggest AKA City Blocks or JConcepts Cross Hairs, I believe Pro-Line (Which has been the industry standard for along time) and Panther have alot of catching up to do in performance and especially wear.
ASATRUGGYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

AKA city blocks is a great all a-round tire it works on almost every condition
its amazing
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

does AKA make a truggy tire because all i see are two buggy tires?
Thanks everyone for your help I am new to off road
Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They have them in stock at A-main City Block-AKA14102S (SOFT) AKA14102M(MEDIUM) I-BEAM-AKA14101M (MEDIUM) AKA14101S (SOFT)
ASATRUGGYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #10
Tech Regular

+1 on the 38 Panther Gators. Works just about anywhere
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #11
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

ive been using the Losi/GRP Grips and Cubics.
they are an awsome tire. im getting great life out of them and the foams are awsome

TIX Race Designs. Plaig Bearings. Thunder Innovations
TIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:08 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not one person asked what surface he is running on....

Track surface: basically the harder the surface the smaller the blocks and the smaller the gaps between them... like a Holeshot which is amost just fuzz ;-)
The softer the surface, the larger the blocks and grooves.... like if the track was almost 1" deep sand al over it you'd use Badlands or similar

Compund gets more complex but basically a hard compound on a hard track and vice versa. Nothing to stop you running soft compounds on really hard tracks but it may cost you $$$ due to wear or increase the chance of rolling due to too much traction.

Grass is a totally different proposition.

Don't listen to anyone who says "Crimefighters are best" or "I-Beams are best" or similar comments unless they have seen your track. Saying one brand is better may be valid, but you can't recommend one pattern as being best ..... otherwise we'd only have one pattern per manufacturer wouldn't we ;-)
Mark_Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:48 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Australia View Post
Not one person asked what surface he is running on....

Track surface: basically the harder the surface the smaller the blocks and the smaller the gaps between them... like a Holeshot which is amost just fuzz ;-)
The softer the surface, the larger the blocks and grooves.... like if the track was almost 1" deep sand al over it you'd use Badlands or similar

Compund gets more complex but basically a hard compound on a hard track and vice versa. Nothing to stop you running soft compounds on really hard tracks but it may cost you $$$ due to wear or increase the chance of rolling due to too much traction.

Grass is a totally different proposition.

Don't listen to anyone who says "Crimefighters are best" or "I-Beams are best" or similar comments unless they have seen your track. Saying one brand is better may be valid, but you can't recommend one pattern as being best ..... otherwise we'd only have one pattern per manufacturer wouldn't we ;-)

+1, its actually better for softer compounds on hard grooved tracks, but, i would only put those on in the A-main at a big event. Club racing, not that big of a deal, unless you have deep pockets and you dont mind throwing away a set of soft compounds after the one day of racing. Just my thoughts?!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to MIEZ

I have used the Pro-Line Hole Shot LPR last time on a dry-hard surface and everything was perfect. For grass i recommend grp cubic.
I have to try AKA tires after this topic. It is a good choice for competitions?
HPI Baja SS;
Trinity NOW.
MIEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

in all of the tracks that I have been to this year in northern and central cali, me and my race partner have never had an aka tire be anywhere near as god as the pro-line on truggy, the cell blocks have worked pretty well on the buggies, and I like I beams on my local track, but we just keep on trying new tires, and always end up going back to crime fighters, they simply work everywhere for us
BIG RE is offline   Reply With Quote