Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

jp destroys engines....lol
Old 01-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Nitro engines are on their way to dieing from the first time they are started. All the negative factors mentioned in this thread just help speed up the process. It's the difference between getting 2 gallons and 10 gallons out of an engine. Dirt, too rich, too lean pretty much sums it up. If you can keep it tuned and keep it clean it will just prolong the inevitable death of the engine.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #33
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

All the major reasons for engine death have already been stated so I'm not going to repeat them.

But on the losi's ugly body on the T 2.0 I do have an opinion.

If you were overheating your engines in the T 1.0 then you need to figure out why that was happening instead of wanting the head to stick out thinking it's magically going to help your engine. I have ran almost every brand engine out there and never had any of them overheat. I would prefer to have the engine head hidden and out of harms way UNDER the body because I know I can tune an engine well enough to not need it to stick out........
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP View Post
All the major reasons for engine death have already been stated so I'm not going to repeat them.

But on the losi's ugly body on the T 2.0 I do have an opinion.

If you were overheating your engines in the T 1.0 then you need to figure out why that was happening instead of wanting the head to stick out thinking it's magically going to help your engine. I have ran almost every brand engine out there and never had any of them overheat. I would prefer to have the engine head hidden and out of harms way UNDER the body because I know I can tune an engine well enough to not need it to stick out........
+1

I put a handful of sand in Joey Platinum's GRP carb when he wasn't looking.
Apparently evil pit guys kill engines to.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #35
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do nitro enigines have average lifespans? Do you then rebuild them or buy new ones? Like cars have average miles before they start to break do nitro engines have gallons before they start to break?

Also, when you rebuild a motor with a rebuild kit, is it good as new again?
wick3dr00st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #36
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
+1

I put a handful of sand in Joey Platinum's GRP carb when he wasn't looking.
Apparently evil pit guys kill engines to.

LMFAO!! THAT's CLASSIC!! U Made my day dude
Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #37
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick3dr00st3r View Post
Do nitro enigines have average lifespans? Do you then rebuild them or buy new ones? Like cars have average miles before they start to break do nitro engines have gallons before they start to break?

It all depends on a few things. First off, different engines will last different times depending on the quality of the bearings, the connecting rod, the piston and the sleeve, and also how you broke it in, and how you tune it. Most engines get 5+ gallons of fuel through them. I have had 12+ gallons on some, and just over 2 gallons on others. There are things you can do to prolong life provided you break in and tune right. If you replace the stock bearings with ceramics after about the 2 gallon mark, and also have a pro check your connecting rod (replace it if it's worn) this will make your engine last a whole lot longer.

As far as rebuild, that also depends. The big dollar racing engines are not usually worht rebuild beacuse its the same price to buy a whole new engine, and you get a new case, and carb. You need to replace piston, sleeve, con rod, and bearings, and that usually cost 95% of a new mill. I have even seen it cheaper to buy new than to rebuild. You then also have to consider all the labor, and burning yourself, and the tools needed to rebuild properly

Crappy sport engines are not worth rebuilding, as chances are you will have an air leak after rebuild anyway.

I have heard some good things about people sending out the sleeve for a "re-pinch" that gives back some compression and I have heard people getting up to an additional 3 gallons after doing so. I usually buy new engines, and then I have lots of spare parts if I ever need them
Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:

Toast at 10 gallons usually right?

four gallons for a V-spec.....
Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think dirt is #1 and complications due to improper break-in #2.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #40
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the great info Jaz.
wick3dr00st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBac View Post
I did not see this mentioned, but you can also damage an engine in a hurry by not properly warming it up. This applies to all engines but especially 2 stroke engines.

Did I notice that someone mentioned higher nitro made it run hotter? I think higher nitro with the proper oil content should make it run cooler as long as the head is shimmed properly. At least that is what I have been told.
I said that.

If you read I also stated not changing the CR or oil content. Higher nitro content burns hotter. That is why an extra shim is inserted ...to reduce the CR, keep the heat down and prevent detonation. The increased heat from the higher nitro is why you also switch to a cooler plug.

I still tend to forget these cars run the whimpy 30%, not the 65% my boats like.
1:10, 2-wd Stadium Trucks
B-Mod Tunnels
If ignorance is bliss... I must be in heaven!
chunk t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #42
Tech Lord

Quote:
Thanks for the great info Jaz.
Anytime bud
Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #43
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have always been of the opinion that running to low of temps (170 and below) is just as bad on your motors as running them to high..I was told that this was..or is why aftermarket heads are bad for your motors..(It's not that their bad it just gives some guys a false sense of security) You tend to lean out your motor..thinking that since its only 190 degrees you should be able to run it at 220 to 230 degrees..Most of the time my motors are in the 190 to 210 degree range (and I dont tune to temp..but I do have and use a temp gun to check for any problems) I'm on my 9th gallon on my novarossi 21-7BT..It still runs great, has good pinch, I do pre heat my motors before I fire them up (170). I have a friend that does this (hes the person that told me to do this..it is a PITA but it does pay off in the end) and he's on his 15th gallon on an RB C6..I think he's replaced the rod once and changed the bearings twice..
Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBac View Post
I did not see this mentioned, but you can also damage an engine in a hurry by not properly warming it up. This applies to all engines but especially 2 stroke engines.

Did I notice that someone mentioned higher nitro made it run hotter? I think higher nitro with the proper oil content should make it run cooler as long as the head is shimmed properly. At least that is what I have been told.
x2 good point..id have too agree..i see a lot of engines fired up slammed on the track and wide open in 15 seconds..just cant be good by any means&shimming especially break ins gotta be good..

im getting nervous to run my 30/10 sidewinder and have shoved it to the back of the shelf..all my 30/12 is at the front..man im just seeing a lot more ppl running 20% anymore..but that cant be good either running 30% then switching to 20%? id really rather not lose tune&performance...

-2 on yer last post lol
Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #45
Tech Elite

So just retune. Your not going to be any slower on 20%. Especially if your using a restricter. Just go up a size.

The SW 20/12 is easier to tune than my 30/10 worlds.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 01-11-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: sp