R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminnay View Post
when he says bearings he is referring to the bearings in the motor... such as the front bearing and the rear bearing..
exactly what I mean. If you let the bearings go bad they can severly damage the engine. Mostly a problem with the rear though. yes a front bearing could leak and let dirt in or cause an air leak which could kill the engine but the serious immediate problem is with rears. See if you let a rear bearing wera or rust too much the bearing balls will stick further out of the cage and races. if this happens it is very easy for the crankshaft counterweight to swing by and crack one of the balls. If this happens the pieces that break off can make thier way into the combustion chamber and destroy the piston, sleeve and head button.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Running lean, running very cold, indigestion of dirt, poor engine maintinance. Higher nitro % engine run cooler but make more power may slightly lower engine life before rebuild. Running engine with high oil % tend to run hot since oil don't burn in tell up around 300 degrees.

JAMMINKRAZY when switching over to ceramic bearings how did the engine react to them like idle speed, power and how the engine spool up
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Running lean, running very cold, indigestion of dirt, poor engine maintinance. Higher nitro % engine run cooler but make more power may slightly lower engine life before rebuild. Running engine with high oil % tend to run hot since oil don't burn in tell up around 300 degrees.

JAMMINKRAZY when switching over to ceramic bearings how did the engine react to them like idle speed, power and how the engine spool up
You know I really didn't notice much of a difference. They may have spooled up slightly quicker but nothing really noticable. However I do feel alot more confident knowing they will never rust and they won't wear nearly as quickly. For the price of TKO ceramics its a no brainer for me. $15 for a front and usually $30 or under for the rear depending on what size is required.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

I just changed my Radical 621T over to TKO ceramics I haven't ran it yet. They claim less heat thats one of my biggest reasons for the switch.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
I just changed my Radical 621T over to TKO ceramics I haven't ran it yet. They claim less heat thats one of my biggest reasons for the switch.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. but to tell you the truth my only reason was for longevity. my motors make too much power anyway.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwama View Post
I was just thinking after reading losi's claim about the new 8t2.0 body helping the engine run cooler, doe the temperature kill the enigne or is it the lack of lubrication, i know they go hand in hand in a way, but when you say that just allowing more air to run over the engine head will cool it, meaning you can lean it out more, will it not just wear out faster, because of the lack of lubrication?
just something i was thinking???
#0.5 - The operator not paying attention to all of the following
#1 - Heat (tune - lean)
#2 - Fuel (lube and heat)
#3 - Load
#4 - Maintenance (after run, cleanliness, replacing worn parts - bearings/clutch/carbie)
ajswinbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

i had a mach.15 it was when i did not know anything well it got to like 360-370 and had only like 15 tanks on it it was a air leak but that motor died
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dirt does not kill engines, people kill engines!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
Dirt does not kill engines, people kill engines!!!!
Dirt kills engines, but ONLY because people let it. Thank god I'm not one of those ppl...(Knock on wood)
Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
Dirt kills engines, but ONLY because people let it. Thank god I'm not one of those ppl...(Knock on wood)
Dirt doesn't kill engines, jpalessi kills engines!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:01 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

I had Picco .26 go 425 screaming down the straight away. Plugged fuel filter caused it too go very very lean. Heat kills

Last edited by pdmustgt; 01-09-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:24 AM   #27
Tech Apprentice

carelessness is is a really good killer of motors.then it spreads like cancer to the rest of the engine and car.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #28
Tech Adept

In my opinion the #1 factor that kills engine is poor quality fuel. in saying that i mean fuel that runs cheap and inferior quality nitro which has a high nitric acid content. If the quality or quantity of lubrication is not quiet there it can excelerate wear. the reason for this is the nitric acid accellerates corrosion in the metal parts. i.e crank and bearings. corrosion cause microscopic pitting in the bearings. once the pitting starts it accelerates wear till eventually you kick a ball out the side and your motor becomes junk. there are however ways to avoid this happening. run a good quality fuel to start with. im not getting into brand names there are heaps of good and not so good ones out there. USE AFTER RUN OIL... this displaces the nitro / nitric acid from the metal parts and prevents corrosion in the first place. secondly.. before you after run your motor cleaen the outside of it. Dont let any dirt get inside it. that a no branier..... Thridly.. change the rod after you run it in.... worn rods can cause you to drop a glow plug element and wreck pinch in the piston and liner fit......after a couple of races meets with a new motor you can feel the big end play by removing the glow plug, spin it till it nips up at top dead center then rock the flywheel back and forward. if you feel the play in the big end is more than a few degrees change it.... Also you want a light trail of smoke coming out the exhaust.. this ensures there is still oil in the motor because there is an excess burning in the pipe which means there is oil in your motor and its not burning up. Keep your filter clean.... change them regularly....If you want to go to extremes you can strip your motor after every meet and ultrasonic the block with a solvent.. dont put the crank in the solvent you will melt the resin ramp... I am aware of the varying opinions on the effects of ultrasonic on bearings but again it is up to the inividual and it has worked for me... I have never changed a bearing in 2 years of running. im getting close with one of my motors but its still fine for now.... I believe there is not a single biggest killer but a number of varying conditions that will reduce the life of your motor. One thing i have noticed at my local track is that people are running glow plugs that are way to hot for there particular motor but they insist on running them to compensate for there bad tune up. Hope i can add another point of view to this discussion....
GrandBern Custom top fuel dragster / Massimo Fantini Hand Built 35plus
Hand Biult Dragster / Any motor lying around
Grand Motorsport Pro stock Chassis/ Mamba 7700kv 2s Lipo
Associated B4 / LRP 6.5
Associated 18R

www.QMDRA.org.au
Queensland Model Drag Raing associtation
nitrodragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I did not see this mentioned, but you can also damage an engine in a hurry by not properly warming it up. This applies to all engines but especially 2 stroke engines.

Did I notice that someone mentioned higher nitro made it run hotter? I think higher nitro with the proper oil content should make it run cooler as long as the head is shimmed properly. At least that is what I have been told.
Trinity .21
Airtronics
RickBac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Oh and as for the Losi body allowing the engine to run cooler, with a body that ugly I would put a paper bag over it. The I guess it would defeat the engine cooling purpose.
Trinity .21
Airtronics
RickBac is offline   Reply With Quote