R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default What to buy?? Help!!!

I am new to nitro and really would like to get one. I have o idea what to get but would like to race on weekends but would also bash alot. I would love any suggestions on any type of nitro monster trucks, truggy's, buggies and stadium trucks that would be good for a beginner but would still be raceable. Also I have a few questions on nitro. If I left my nitro sitting for a week or 2 weeks would it start up right away or would I have to do some preparation. Also what is the difference between engine sizes such as .15 and .26, is one faster or more power?? Any suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated. Also my price range is 300 or so and will be willing to buy used.
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For $300, you cant get a 1/8. Look into a 1/10 nitro stadium truck like the HPI Firestorm, Associated GT2, and Losi XXX-NT Sport 2.

As far as starting, you would need to put new fuel in there (you cant leave fuel in the tank, prime the engine, put the glow igniter in and starter in and I would heat it with a hair dryer to around 150. If the outside temperature is different you may have a hard time starting it if using a oull start.

.12-.18 is small block. .21-.28 (or bigger) is big block. For trucks like the XXX-NT, you can only run a .12-.18 but .12-.15 is reccomended as .18 has way too much bottom end and will make the truck uncontrollable. Normally, a .12 engine will have more rpm's than a .15, but the .15 will have a little more bottom end (which can be a bad thing with 2wd) and is a gas hog.

Do you know about maintence, tuning, etc?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

no i dont really know too much about tuning and maintenance. Also I will be getting one in the spring so I can defanately save some more money up, and how much would a good 1/8 be. also what about truggies, those look sweet. I would only really be running in the summer so what would I have to do and could I store a nitro in the winter. Also with the engines when you say bottom end do you mean like accelaration and wheelies and as you go up meaning .12,.14, .18 do they get faster or the other way around. I know alot of questions but I love this hobby!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

I need some help!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

What we really need to know is whats your budget.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Hey, buddy.. Right I will try and give you some input,

1. What classes does your nearest track Race/Allow
2. Nitro Is exspensive, Please make sure you know this as you will be buying lots of small things over the summer/When you use. it like Glow plugs-fuel-broken parts-... Travelling costs ect.
3. Which do you think you will do more, Race or bash- as that will play a big role in what class you should look at.

Monster Trucks-Are basically Only for bashing.. Not Race track pedgree- if you understand me

Truggies- They have the best of both, Good for jumps, backyard fun ect.. and are good racers-Alot of people like racing truggies as they are normally slightyl more relaxed.. and dont require as much tunning ect.. and normally the truggy guys, have more of a laugh and dont take it a serious as the buggy guys.

Buggies-To me, apart from a few should only really be raced, They take more time, and effort and in some ways are not bashers. Buggies, are probally the most popular 1/8th Offroad racers, But people normally take that alot more serious, more than truggies.

I personally would recommend looking at truggies, as they have the best of both, good for bashing good ground clearance ect.. and Good for racing too.
I personally have a hyper 8.5 Which I have had for a while but never really had the time to race it. But my plan is to race at my local track this year.. which I shall really enjoy. But yea, find out those things above, but me I would say look at the truggy route, if your going to bash and dable in racing.

And remember all the maintenace.. aswell Cleaning after you use, race.. fuel.. It does turn out exspensive, but My do they put a smile on your face every sunday!

Im, not really a truggy person so I cant really recommend one to look at. But a nice-SOLID Buggy would be the Hyper 7 TQ Black- Built like a tank.. few people bash them becasue there built so well, and they are Reasonably competative!

Hope this helps, will let someone else exsplain the Engine term in more detail

Basically smaller the .12-number smaller-Less powerfull the engine is.
And IF you were to race buggies, you are only allowed to use a .21 engine Not 100% On truggies

Cheers Jamie Kerr
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrassey@me.com View Post
no i dont really know too much about tuning and maintenance. Also I will be getting one in the spring so I can defanately save some more money up, and how much would a good 1/8 be. also what about truggies, those look sweet. I would only really be running in the summer so what would I have to do and could I store a nitro in the winter. Also with the engines when you say bottom end do you mean like accelaration and wheelies and as you go up meaning .12,.14, .18 do they get faster or the other way around. I know alot of questions but I love this hobby!!!
NO truggies/buggies do wheelies. That is for playing. Like compare the OS >12 TZ to the OS .18 TZ. The 12 will be faster in the top end and more controlled, while the 18 will be extremely fast as far as accelration and not as good for 2wd.

I would reccomend the Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Black or the Thunder Tiger ST-1 Truggy as you can get those from amainhobbies.com for $300 last time I checked.

Yes you can store a nitro engine in the winter. You just need to put the engine piston at bottom bead center and put after run oil in it.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

To vladconnery, my budget is around 300 now but since I really will get one in the spring I can save atleast another 100$ so about 400.

To jamiekerr that was really good and helped me alot and I think I will go with a truggy seeing as I will defanately bash but will race as well.

Chris rc ththanks alot for your post.

I think I would like to go truggy now so any suggestions would be great!!. Also can someone maybe make a shopping cart for me and post it so I could see what all I need. Also would I need a starter box and what is a starter box?? With tuning, what will I need to know, and for storage what should I know. Also should I get a kit or an rtr?? what are the advantages and disadvantages and are kits hard to build??
Old 01-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
Tech Addict

In all honesty if you were to get a RTR New truggy they will be around $400 ish-Maybe bit here and there... but then you will need.

Starter box-If there is not pull start
Glowplugs
fuel
few tools-If not included
glow ignitor
fuel bottle
Batteries for starter box

And others those are the main to get you running but thats all, then you will need things like after run oil.. air filter oil... ect..

So you will probally need the $500 + more
Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Well I already have a slash so I have the battery packs for the starter box and the tools. hows this shopping cart from amainhobbies.com???

1 thunder tiger st-1 4wd truggy 299.99$
1 thunder tiger 1/10, 1/8 starter box 66.99$
1 racers edge 1800mah glow starter and charger 15.49$
2 trinity monster horsepower 20% fuel (1quart) 25.98$
2 hobbico after run oils 4.98$
1 traxxaas fuel bottle (500cc) 6.79$
1 traxxas air filter oil 4.29$

Also can someone explain all the tuning and storage please!!

any other suggestions would be great!!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Do you have MSN or Facebook if so PM me and I will exsplain the tunning/storage
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

any opinions on that shopping cart?? Also anymore recomendations on truggies?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

help!!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tonyy

http://www.cenracingdirect.com/index...OD&ProdID=4352
this is what you need everything you need to run good buggy!
www.EBmods.com
www.integy.com
www.motorsaver.com
www.arcshobbies.com
www.paintmonsterairbrushing.com
tonyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tonyy

or the truggy
http://www.cenracing.com/area51/51_truggy.html