Wiki Posts
Search

8th Scale Spur and Dif Cup Interchangability Between Brands

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 8th Scale Spur and Dif Cup Interchangability Between Brands

I'm sure this has been covered. I couldn't find a way to phrase my search criteria so I didn't have to wade through 1,245 pages of posts to find the answer....Sorry.

Will Losi 8ight spur gears bolt onto a Hong Nor/Jammin 1/8th scale diff cup without issues? I want to try 47 and 49 tooth spurs in my quest for the perfect gearing. This is in a BCE PJX converted Jammin X1 CRT (if that matters). I can only find these tooth counts in the Losi applications (both factory Losi and RRP). I can't find Jammin/Mugen/Kyosho/HB spurs in 47 or 49 tooth. I also noticed that RRP has an 'extra wide' spur for the Losi. What (if anything) is the significance of the 'extra wide' spur?

I did find a 47 tooth spur listed for the Hyper-7 buggy. Would this work with a Hong Nor/Jammin dif cup? I realize that they're made by two completely different manufacturers, but both imported by OFNA.

Please don't ask me why I specificaly want to use 47 and 49 tooth spurs (or try to talk me into some other gear combo).

Last edited by Eccentric; 01-07-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Nobody knows eh?

I was wondering if the Losi difs are made to SAE dimmentions while all the others are metric? Just a thought...as I don't have any Losi 8th scale experience. Ony 10th scale Losi...and they do use SAE screws...
Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Losi hardware on the 8ight is indeed SAE. I doubt the diff cups and/or spurs are compatible with the Hong Nor/Jammin' stuff. Hyper stuff might, for the same reasons you mentioned.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by K_B
Losi hardware on the 8ight is indeed SAE. I doubt the diff cups and/or spurs are compatible with the Hong Nor/Jammin' stuff. Hyper stuff might, for the same reasons you mentioned.
Thanks for the input. I was afraid of that.

Does anyone have a Losi 8ight or 8ight-T spur that they can compare to a Jammin/Mugen/Kyosho/Hot Bodies spur? Bolt hole spacing, dif cup mounting face, outdrive shaft hole size, and side gear face shape would be the important bits I'd imagine.