R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Tire Dismount? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/265805-tire-dismount.html)

8ightisenough 01-07-2009 09:25 AM

Tire Dismount?

i recently mounted & glued up a set of new proline buggy tires but now i want to change the foam inserts to the molded inserts. My question is if i dismount them by putting them in the oven will it ruin or damage my new tires & wheels? :tire: :tire:

Danny B 01-07-2009 09:29 AM

I've never used the oven method, but if you don't care about saving the foams, just soak the whole tire in acetone overnight. It won't hurt the tires or wheels, put it does ruin the foams...

Steve Walters 01-07-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 5262617)
I've never used the oven method, but if you don't care about saving the foams, just soak the whole tire in acetone overnight. It won't hurt the tires or wheels, put it does ruin the foams...

+1

I race at several tracks thats very easy on tires. I typically where out the foams before the tire. I have done this many times and it works perfectly. Just that the foam in the tires being soaked is trashed. Soak it for 12-24 hours, and it will come off like it was never glued.

pinky2252s 01-07-2009 09:37 AM

if you want to save the foams and wheels and everything boil them you can save everything with that method

8ightisenough 01-07-2009 09:47 AM

I don't care about saving these foams. Do i need to do anything after removal to the tire and wheel after in soaking in acetone. Where do i get acetone and do i delute it or not?

t0adman 01-07-2009 09:50 AM

Just make sure there's not residual material left on the wheels then prep and mount like you did the first time around.

Steve Walters 01-07-2009 10:04 AM

Home Depot or Lowes for around $15.00 a gallon in the paint department. Do not dilute.

pinky2252s 01-07-2009 10:10 AM

if you dont want the foams then do the acetone, but put them in a SEALED container because if you dont all the acetone will evaporate ;)

8ightisenough 01-07-2009 10:26 AM

Thanks everyone for all the replies :tire: :tire:

mcsquish 01-07-2009 07:57 PM

I have used the acetone method for years for off and on road tires. For the container I used a metal coffee can. And now the 8T 2.0 is coming out it looks like I'll be using it again.......

Just remember you'll probably get carded when you buy the acetone......:weird:

pinky2252s 01-07-2009 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mcsquish (Post 5265189)
I have used the acetone method for years for off and on road tires. For the container I used a metal coffee can. And now the 8T 2.0 is coming out it looks like I'll be using it again.......

Its used to make meth :D

Danny B 01-08-2009 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mcsquish (Post 5265189)

I acutally picked up a big glass jar(with a lid) at like Target, I will fit 6 buggy tires comfortably, Couple overnight soaks to do 3 sets...

DeastyBoy 01-08-2009 12:13 PM

Question...

Does the container have to be metal or glass??

Thinking of getting a shallow larger plastic tub, so I can do multiple truggy tires if need be...

Danny B 01-08-2009 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by DeastyBoy (Post 5267754)
Question...

Does the container have to be metal or glass??

Thinking of getting a shallow larger plastic tub, so I can do multiple truggy tires if need be...

I got the glass jar so I could store the acetone for future use. I use a gallon two or three times, when i get enough sets to dismount, etc. The stuff is $15-16 a gallon so it's not cheap.

I don't think i would store it in a plastic tub for a long period of time.

8ightisenough 01-09-2009 01:43 PM

I tried the boiling method & oven method,neither worked. I think i am going to use the Acetone method i have a question before i do.

How much Acetone do i use? Do i fill the container with Acetone over the tires & wheels then seal container.