R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If the bake/boil methods arent working, your either not leaving them in long enough, or your not getting them hot enough.

Removing tires is a PITA no matter how you do it. Something that hasnt been mentioned here, is that you dont need to soak the tires in acetone. As long as the container is sealed, the acetone vapors will break down the glue, without damaging the foam. I use a clean empty 1 gallon paint can and a old worn out wheel to use as a riser so the wheels werent soaking in the acetone. I only put enough acetone in the can so that there is a inch or two of liquid in the bottom of the can. Leave them in can for 24 hours and the tires pull off like they were never glued.

I prefer the acetone method over the bake or boil technique cause with acetone, the glue turns rubbery and can be removed easily. When baked/boiled, its a little more difficult...

heres a really good thread on all the methods of removal http://www.nitroaddicts.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1931
Old 01-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use a old Plastic Ice cream container with a lid. It's shouldn't take all night, but it might.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If I just want to replace the foam I cut the tire as close to the rim as possible with a new blade. Pull the foams out and replace. Re glue tire and your done. You have to go around the tire about 4 times to get it cut loose but I can do 4 tires in about 10 min.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #19
KIK
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So you just reglue the tire to the rubber that is already there and not on the actual plastic?
KIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Correct.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #21
Tech Adept

boiling old tires never worked for me.
i boiled them for close to 3-4 hours...still had to rip them off the rim they didnt really clean up well afterwards either.

now acetone on the other hand...works like magic!
the tires practically fall off the rims! and they clean up almost as if they never even had tires on them in the first place.
karnao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I use the oven method when removing tires and replacing foams.

The process as follows.

1st. Wait till you are alone in the house (you will stink up / smoke the house)

2nd. Heat oven to 400 deg.

3rd. Use old pizza pan cookie sheet and place all 4 wheels on sheet.

4th. After placing the wheels in the oven turn off oven and wait 15 to 20 minutes.

5th. With old oven mitts or tongs remove the wheels and break the bead.

6th. After they cool, remove the tires and foams.

7th. With a dremel and wire brush bit, remove old glue from the rims and pick off old glue from tires. (I use a old pocket knife to scrape the old glue from the tires)

Note:
If after 15 to 20 minutes the bead doesn't break (It happens) then place that one wheel back in the oven for another 10 minutes.

Clean well, replace foams and glue!!!
offr0aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobie1 View Post
If the bake/boil methods arent working, your either not leaving them in long enough, or your not getting them hot enough.

Removing tires is a PITA no matter how you do it. Something that hasnt been mentioned here, is that you dont need to soak the tires in acetone. As long as the container is sealed, the acetone vapors will break down the glue, without damaging the foam. I use a clean empty 1 gallon paint can and a old worn out wheel to use as a riser so the wheels werent soaking in the acetone. I only put enough acetone in the can so that there is a inch or two of liquid in the bottom of the can. Leave them in can for 24 hours and the tires pull off like they were never glued.

I prefer the acetone method over the bake or boil technique cause with acetone, the glue turns rubbery and can be removed easily. When baked/boiled, its a little more difficult...

heres a really good thread on all the methods of removal http://www.nitroaddicts.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1931
Cool, I always filled the can until it covered the tire.

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the info. The Acetone method worked perfect
8ightisenough is offline   Reply With Quote