R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

VR6

I am in Tucson AZ. The only track I have seen is at Hobbytown USA. Its actually a really cool track with some good set ups. $5 to practice and $10 to race on Saturdays. I have heard that there is another track on the north side of town however I have not seen it.

The cool thing about living in the desert is I can just go to my back yard and rip up jumps and play in the dry washes. I have 360 degrees of natural play land.

The quad runners and mountain bikers have made many little pockets of vast fun. [/LEFT]
Old 01-08-2009, 02:08 AM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Hey Dish, Us guys up north here at the Nito Pit, will gladly help you with whatever you need. The guys at HobbyTown in Tucson are good people that know there stuff, but you have a world of support here in AZ, and here on RCTECH
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
Tech Elite

JAZ Thanks for the support. No question the people at hobbytown where I live knows there stuff pretty well. Almost to well though as it seems their patience is very short. I have had some really good advise and help there. Maybe it was just my last visit. I will continue to buy from them but I do hope I get service in regards to a repeat customer.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #19
Tech Lord

It dont matter how much cash you dropped. Until they start recognizing you they are just employees and they dont get to keep any of your money. Once you start asking questions and getting help and making friends with them, there will be a world of difference in how you are treated. Not everyone is the same, and unless you deal with the owner its tough to get the red carpet treament that we have become used to. dont give up though, and remeber we are all here to help. My nephew runs the Losi RTR so I've been helping him with his allot, and I race with Billy Fischer and he is like MR. Losi here in AZ..let me rephrase that..... I race at the same track as Billy Fischer,
Old 01-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
It dont matter how much cash you dropped. Until they start recognizing you they are just employees and they dont get to keep any of your money. Once you start asking questions and getting help and making friends with them, there will be a world of difference in how you are treated. Not everyone is the same, and unless you deal with the owner its tough to get the red carpet treament that we have become used to. dont give up though, and remeber we are all here to help. My nephew runs the Losi RTR so I've been helping him with his allot, and I race with Billy Fischer and he is like MR. Losi here in AZ..let me rephrase that..... I race at the same track as Billy Fischer,
Let me see if I've got this right ... I won't be treated like a customer SHOULD be treated until I spend money and make friends with the employees???

And the LHS wonders why they are losing more and more sales to the online shops. To the original poster, I know exactly what you mean ... There are two LHS near where I live/work, and just about every time I have gone into either one, the employees (mostly the upper management, and even the owner in one case) seem irritated, and downright rude at times. And it's not because I am not courteous and patient with them.

I NEVER buy anything at the LHS unless it is the day before raceday, and it means I won't race unless I find the particular part that I need.

My 2 cents.
glolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Make a weekend drive and come visit srs www.scottsdalerc.com and nitropit http://www.thenitropit.com/. They are the premier tracks in az. AS jaz said there are people up here who can help you and hell once i get back to tucson i could show you how to do it. The other track in tucson went out of buisness.

I live in Tucson and raced once at ht and probably wont do it again. The 90 min drive to srs is worth it for a sat night race. They are decent people but hobbytown is still hobbytown, and stuff like not helping you is what gives them a bad rep.
bradfox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #22
Tech Lord

They just dont care, they are just employees and they get their $10 an hour if they help you or not, but once you are a regular and they start recognizing you things change..Unfortunately it is like this in most hobby shops, beacuse the only person that really cares about us is the owner and they are not there to help.. I also buy online, but we have a new hobby shop in Phoenix called ONEhobbies, and it is owner operated and he is also a friend and a racer, and believe me when I tell you he knows what customer service is
Old 01-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by glolar View Post
Let me see if I've got this right ... I won't be treated like a customer SHOULD be treated until I spend money and make friends with the employees???

And the LHS wonders why they are losing more and more sales to the online shops. To the original poster, I know exactly what you mean ... There are two LHS near where I live/work, and just about every time I have gone into either one, the employees (mostly the upper management, and even the owner in one case) seem irritated, and downright rude at times. And it's not because I am not courteous and patient with them.

I NEVER buy anything at the LHS unless it is the day before raceday, and it means I won't race unless I find the particular part that I need.

My 2 cents.
I agree with you dude! 150%. The big chain shops dont give a crap about you and me because the owners arent there to see what happens. Have you ever been to a Hobby Bench!? The prices are more than retail, and they ignore you! What a joke
Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #24
Tech Elite

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Well I did it for the first time. Yipppeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Your responses helped me out a ton, THANKS EVERYONE. I probably did alot more work that what was needed but it worked out fine. I started from the front and worked my way back. I think the front was hardest or it could have been cause it was the first. The actual rebuilding of the diffs is very easy I didnt have chemicals to clean so I went with dishsoap and water and made sure everything was completley drive with a hair dryer. What was challenging was the suspesion work trying to get everything back together on the front and back. Total time 5 hours.

The cool thing doing this by myself really thought me alot about my buggy. As it stands now I have pretty much removed 90% of the buggy and put it back together during the cleanning phase and the diff service. This is a huge confidence builder.

You could definately tell a diffrence in the weight of the diff oil. The 5k was like syrup compared to the 7k weight.

I may have run into one problem but I started a new thread for that titled

Rear Drive Shaft To Center Outdrive Fit????????
Old 01-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The Hobbytown in Tucson is pretty good, I worked there for about 2 months in between jobs. If you think most guys there are making $10 hr think again!! If the same guys that worked there four years ago still work there you will need some patience with them. Just hanging out at the track and getting as much practice driving and wrenching on your car is the best thing you can do. Do they still try to race dirt oval in between the big poles? The owner Adam is a really nice guy, but he's just not there a lot as he has other businesses going on too.
Best of luck
Mark
markt311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #26
Tech Addict

The HOBBYTOWN in Tallahassee has very good people that work there and are very knowledgeable. I am aware of the situations that occur where someone feels that they are not treated like they should be ,....its because so many people come in ...buy a car ...and lose interest for whatever reason,I even find myself disappointed at the service I get at my lhs but I also have an understanding of how it all works, If you treat people nice they will perform better , if you become acquainted with the guys at your lhs you will inadvertently gain an understanding of what and why. It doesn't make it right but sometimes when you understand the way something works you can get the desired result. I would try to find someone at the local track to help you change the diff fluids. Do some flipping for them ,return the favor and remember to have "fun at the track"
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:27 AM   #27
Tech Elite

I'll be sure to bring some pink balloons next trip to HT for fuel.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dish if you live in Miami FL I would have been right at your house taking them apart I do not have more of experience.

I just build 3 Xray cars and a Trex Heli I think I can manage a diff..
HulkNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Yeah "TANK " likes that color, got to say he is not the nicest man but he sure can kick hard. He was there the day I was threatening to jump off the roof and he is the one that coaxed me back down. After I was on the ground he kicked me and that taught me a lesson.My act of courage did get them to lower nitro prices and it helped me get my doses increased on my stabilty meds.
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #30
Tech Lord

You were making perfect sense there for awhile Joey, until you weren't