R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Is it a must to run an external fuel filter? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/265486-must-run-external-fuel-filter.html)

dishsoap 01-06-2009 01:49 AM

Is it a must to run an external fuel filter?

I believe my Losi 8 buggy RTR comes with an internal fuel filter that is inside the gas tank? Is there really a need to run and external fuel filter. What would be the advanatages if so. There seems to be alot of people running the external.

pinky2252s 01-06-2009 02:00 AM

My buggy came with one external, the advantages are really just a safe guard sort of thing, because there might be that one bad batch of fuel and there might be small solids/ minerals in it so instead of those screwing up your engine, your fuel filter catches it. there not really a must but there sort of a cheap insurance, like 4 or 5 bucks. The problem i see with a internal is that if it has a leak the only way to replace it would be to replace the tank.

wallot 01-06-2009 02:00 AM

most cars have internal filter.
external filters are added for more runtime.
it's quite common to run dual filters with the actual filtering element removed just to get more runtime as you can get more fuel in the car.

however official rules clearly state that total volume of FUEL system can be 125cc for buggy and 150cc or truggy. no idea if they actually measure it on EFRA/ROAR/IFMAR races as i seen lots of photos with cars having multiple filters

dishsoap 01-06-2009 02:11 AM

Ok so what your saying is that by running an external filter this will make the car go longer on a tank of fuel due to the filter acting as a canister that holds extra fuel?

I looks like to install one you just cut the fuel line and attach the line to both sides of the filter. No other work is needed? I have seen differnt sizes which seems like the bigger the filter, more fule will run through the filter at a higher rate. Am I right in saying that.

wallot 01-06-2009 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by dishsoap (Post 5256533)
Ok so what your saying is that by running an external filter this will make the car go longer on a tank of fuel due to the filter acting as a canister that holds extra fuel?

YES

Originally Posted by dishsoap (Post 5256533)
I looks like to install one you just cut the fuel line and attach the line to both sides of the filter. No other work is needed?

It's good to secure the filter to the chassis so it does not bounce around.Zipties work ok if your car does not have a filter holder..

Mark_Australia 01-06-2009 03:49 AM

The fuel filter element in your tank is the same as the element in a external.
Fuel is very very clean... I've never had any nasty bits in it, nor heard of anyone who has.
Clean your filler bottle and top of your tank often. Be meticulous about cleanliness.
External filters are just another thing that can leak ... and air leaks can mean blown engines for beginners who don't recognise the lean run.

Therefore I say no to external filters.

Run time is only an issue if you are getting into the A-main often :cry: so for 90% of us, using a carb restrictor, an extra 8" of fuel tubing and proper tuning is more than enough run time :)

Zerodefect 01-06-2009 04:32 AM

+1 on no external fuel filter. It just causes an air leak in the lines. Mine did. I was new at the time and didn't catch it until I took most of the life off that engine.

Just make a good selection on engine and pipe for fuel economy. Or try to fit a larger tank. (This I'd like to research more.)

jamminnay 01-06-2009 05:56 AM

when i ran kyosho and ocm i ran two fuel filters... one on the vent line and one on the fuel line.. i like to run one of the vent line because it helps keep the bubbles out of your fuel line..

kevinmajor 01-06-2009 07:37 AM

I run 1 external filter because the filter or clunk in the tank is stone. I believe it is possible for small bits of stone to travel through the fuel line into the engine. I run 1 just as a safeguard. The tiny internal screen will catch any large debrees that would scratch the hell out of the piston/sleve.

bgbelden 01-06-2009 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mark_Australia (Post 5256705)
The fuel filter element in your tank is the same as the element in a external.
Fuel is very very clean... I've never had any nasty bits in it, nor heard of anyone who has.
Clean your filler bottle and top of your tank often. Be meticulous about cleanliness.
External filters are just another thing that can leak ... and air leaks can mean blown engines for beginners who don't recognise the lean run.

Therefore I say no to external filters.

Run time is only an issue if you are getting into the A-main often :cry: so for 90% of us, using a carb restrictor, an extra 8" of fuel tubing and proper tuning is more than enough run time :)

97%,:blush: Ive always had problems and none of the fast guys around me use them, plus the weight, and then the extra fuel that is not allowed at certain events just doesn't seem worth it. I've never had an engine failure due to something in my gas tank.

losi_racer 01-06-2009 10:41 AM

runnin a fuel filter wont get u that much more run time anyway, no more then 20-30 sec at most.

Thopper 01-06-2009 10:45 AM

30 sec is alot!!!!

losi_racer 01-06-2009 11:23 AM

but that is at an idle. when u go full throttle down the straight, that fuel filter amount of fuel wont last till the end

LabRat99 01-06-2009 01:35 PM

One thing being overlooked here is that an external filter gives you more runtime when you are upside down! When you are practicing or bashing and there aren't many people marshalling, those extra seconds that you get because of the volume of fuel in the filter can be the difference between somebody flipping your car back over or having to go climb down off the stand, go get the car, take it to the starter box and refire.

Of course, if you have a buggy with a "clunk" style internal filter, the above is moot.

rced1 01-06-2009 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Thopper (Post 5257935)
30 sec is alot!!!!

Especially, if you are upside down and waiting to get marshalled.:ha: That extra few seconds of runtime can save a restart.