Wiki Posts
Search

setup station vs camber gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default setup station vs camber gauge

Okay guys i just set my car up on a setup station the toe out looks good but at 2 deg camber on the front it looks like it has positive camber in it. but on the camber gauge it says i have pos 1 no neg 2.. so what should i go by?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Tech Adept

If you have set-up gauges, I would go by those results assuming you had them properly installed. A camber gauge is especially useless in off-road racing (unless you have set-up wheels) because the tire can shift on the wheel and throw off your camber gauge readings by quite a few degrees. I would just caution that you have to let the suspension "settle" when using a set-up station. The gauges should be allowed to slip freely on the underlying surface so the suspension can settle to normal ride height.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have had to so many people tell me I have positive camber on my rear wheels but it is -2 degrees. I set mine up on a Hudy and know for sure it is right as I have done it to both my cars and my friend did some others and all the same. You put a camber gauge up to the wheel and it says like +4 degrees camber. I trust the Hudy over the 10 dollar camber gauge. We have even put it back on the hudy in front of others to show them but they still say it is wrong. No matter anyways as it handles better than it did with the camber gauge.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Champion

lot of good a camber gauge does when your wheels are warped. I'd like to get that hour back.

One day I'll get a setup station. Had a little one for 1/10th scale offroad stuff. It helps alot, you can see the play when you move the cars suspension.

In the mean time I'll make a metal disk to bolt on in place of my warped wheels and use a camber gauge.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I use a soda can and eye ball it. You would be surprised how many pro's do it like this.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Default haha

sure ill pass atashi hara the tip.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by infanterene
I use a soda can and eye ball it. You would be surprised how many pro's do it like this.
Inlighten us please.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Hara uses a japanese soda called likkamibal.

All you do it place a can next to the wheel after dropping the car from about a foot off the table. Then you look at each wheels relation to the can.

Offroad cars camber gets out of wack so often that anything to complicated is no worth it to me.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

Originally Posted by infanterene
Hara uses a japanese soda called likkamibal.

All you do it place a can next to the wheel after dropping the car from about a foot off the table. Then you look at each wheels relation to the can.

Offroad cars camber gets out of wack so often that anything to complicated is no worth it to me.

hahahahaha likkamibal, love it Rene! Guys he is just trying to help, he is very very fast with a buggy so i can definitely vouch for him.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

I set my car up by a set-up station when I am at home, but at the track, I use the camber gauge. I have not had a problem with using when of them. You have to make sure that you are on a flat surface with nothing obstructing it. I know it is not going to be exactly what I want, but it will be better than nothing.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hudy over here......and ive had the same thing as vnmsgt...people commenting on how the car looks funny.....(you mean a properly set-up car)
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (98%+)

I recently went to a 1/10th touring car race with a number of pros. i was surprised to find that all they were using to setup with was a tamiya camber guage and a set of digital calipers for droop. A couple of them maybe had some hudy droop blocks. I would have expected that if you were gonna see pros using setup stations anywhere it would have been with touring cars. One of them looked at me leveling out my integy board and putting everything on and told me I was waisting my time. He then grabbed my car after it was driving like crap - told me it was way off (the setup I got from the station was way off) and just eyeballed a new setup for me. Drove perfect after that

I sold my station like a month later.

After seeing that Im not surprised at all to hear that other pros just use coke cans. I think etup stations are something manufacturers use to sucker us personally. Maybe in carpet its important - i dont really know
Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

guys, this is just my thought here. Most of your top guys use your simple camber gauge and ride height gauge to set up their cars. Along with a decent set of calipers, you can do all you need to do without hauling around a expensive set up board and taking that extra time.

I have watched the best our world has and even at the highest level(worlds) use this simple method and it works fine. Sure your rims may be slightly off or the tire may shift but in offroad you have no real need for such a precise count. Look at the slop every buggy develops.

I have raced a long time and in my local area I witness guys get all the setup boards, 5 engines, 4 pipes, 4 kits, and $500 in parts because they think to go fast that is what it takes. I would suggest save the extra money and get some tires or something more usefull.

When measuring with a camber gauge just pic the buggy up a drop it a few times on a level table. It will in a sense settle into a nuetral position. Measure it, adjust, and repeat. It should be a 5 minute process even with a camber gauge. Just don't try so hard
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I agree with ABURTON. I race Truggy and 1/12 scales (new to the class). Two of the top 1/12th drivers have me using quarters (like you buy gum with) to set the tweak on my car. It looks like a very crude way to do it but they have won big events using this method and swear it is better than a $200 tweak board. I think you can get too caught up in throwing money at certain things. I know I have. I had the Hudy 1/8th setup system and a regular camber guage and it was always real close with the camber guage when I put it in the Hudy setup system.

Hope this helps
Old 01-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have to eyeball toe, or guess it. Is there a more precise method of measuring toe without a setup station? Is it right that if you want 1 degree toe you need 1/2 degree on both sides?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.