R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default I need help!!!

Hello all I am new to r/c, and the forum. Anyways I just bought a HPI MT2. The guy I got it from has put A LOT of money in it. It has a new Nitro Star .18 motor with a 2 speed trans. Lots of other stuff but the question is... I keep chewing up spur gears. In about 3 minutes or so on a new set they are completely shredded. I want to get this thing set up for racing and this is the only thing that keeps going wrong. I know they have to be spaced a certain way, but I cant figure it out. So can anyone help me or point me in the direction of some links or something? Thanks

Also do any companies make metal spur gears? I dont think so but maybe
dsmking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The quickest way to set your spur gear mesh (and the cheapest) is get yourself a small piece of lined paper.. a piece that is about 2 inches long and it doesnt have to be terribly wide but you want to be able to fold it in half and then loosen up your motor mounts.. put the piece of paper inbetween the clutch bell and the spur gear and then push the motor against it so that the paper meshes inbetween the two gears. While holding it in place tighten your motor gears. When your done pull out the piece of paper and it should be set from there. Once you have completed that take out your motor screws ONE AT A TIME and put lock tight on them replace them in the motor and tighten them.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Could the slipper clutch be too tight?
1:10, 2-wd Stadium Trucks
B-Mod Tunnels
If ignorance is bliss... I must be in heaven!
chunk t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Tech Adept

There is no slipper clutch in the MT2 when you have the optional 2-speed installed.

You don't need metal spur gears, just be sure the bearings in the tranny are clean and working properly, and that you have the gear mesh on BOTH gears set properly. A last thing to check is that the former owner didn't put the wrong size gears in the truck. If you count the number of teeth for both the transmission and the clutch, the total for first gear (clutch and spur) and the total for second gear should equal the same amount of teeth. If they're not equal, then it's much more likely for the gears to become damaged. For example, the first gear set of gears included with the optional 2-speed are 11T on the clutch bell, which mates to a 52T spur gear - the total would be 63T. Second gear uses a 14T clutch gear and a 49T spur - again totalling 63T. If both pairs of gears total 63T, they will have the same pitch diameter and therefore, have the same gear center distance - that is the distance from the center of one gear to the center of the mating gear. If the previous owner installed the 15T clutch gear for second gear and didn't install a 12T for first gear, the gear center distance will be off, making it easier to strip one or the gears - in this case, first gear will be vulnerable. So, next time you pull the transmission to fix the gears, check the number teeth on the spur gears (they're marked accordingly) and count the number of teeth on the clutch gears to be sure everything adds up. If they don't, it could be contributing to your problem.
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

i will check the teeth numbers thank you. and thanks illbreakthat i will try that the next time i go to run it.
dsmking is offline   Reply With Quote