R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

FWIW, AMain has the 808 @ $530 right now. Couple that with his coupon, right at $500.

PS- I always thought a "BOB" was a female toy......
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Oh, I know. Just making sure I got things figured out right. I've allready read the new D8 and Bob threads. 200+ pages sheesh, good stuff.

Allready have an RC8 so I don't need another car with its personallity.
I'm allready leaning towards the BoB obviously. I love that drivetrain. And my next car will probally be a hanger queen, coming out for the big races.

The Losi is out because I want to go higher end and see what all this talk of better plastics/durability is all about.

The Mugen thingy is out cause of pivot balls.

Odonnell is out, No big bores

Kyosho is out cause its sway bars are plated with gold or something. Maybe the instructions are printed on Microsoft stock tickets or something.

I was all about the D8. Its kinda heavy though.

Every Hudy tool I've seen so far is really nice. Thier setup station. The engine breakin stand etc. Even thier website is impressive. Every pitbox at the track seems to have a Hudy setup guide in it. Seems if there was a way to do it better they'd do it. Just seems like they spare no expense to get things right. Active ft diff. The new double jointed CVds. etc. etc. Prices on amain aren't terrible yet. Seems similar to Mugen/Kyosho. The BoBs looking sweet at $550 (same as Mugen)

So whats your pick? Its all good fun. I'm all for the popularity contest.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 01-06-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroOB4You View Post
FWIW, AMain has the 808 @ $530 right now. Couple that with his coupon, right at $500.

PS- I always thought a "BOB" was a female toy......

Sweet even better, let that price come down. Everbodies fogotten about BoB now that the Mugen and Kyosho are out.

Even women like BoB? More the better.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are many things you can do to your RC8 to make it more or less aggressive depending on your desires. I use 5k to plant the back and go thinner when I want more rotation. Rear sway bars can also have a dramatic difference.

I have had most all the cars worth having in the last 5 years from Mugen, Kyosho, Jammin. Xray, Losi, and Associated. They all have their pluses and minuses and in that time Ive learned what works better for me. It sounds as though you would also like to do some testing too. Unfortunately starting a thread like this usually just starts a flame war between brands. Ive found some of the best info is found by going to the threads of the cars your interested in and asking what they like or dont like about their cars rather than these versus threads. I started a versus thread a couple weeks ago when I was trying to decide whether to stay with the RC8 or try the 8ight 2.0 and it turned out to be pretty much useless.

If your looking for something that rotates more or is looser in the rear you probably should look at the cars with the engine placed forward like the 8ight MBX6 or MP9. It seems like your searching for alot of steering. I can tell you the cars with the kingpin style steering dont have the same amount of steering throw as a C-hub design. Its my opinion those cars are usually set up purposely loose in the rear to get the rotation to make those tight turns.

I bought an 808 when it first came out and I also felt it pushed badly offpower. It just doesnt have much steering throw. I wanted to run more toe out to get more steering but when I did that it took away from the steering of the outer wheel in the turn. I eventually found the way to make it turn but it involved me to alter my driving style and I quickly decided to go back to the RC8 which felt better for me. Its not imaginary that some cars dont work for some people there many different styles of driving and different tracks there is no one size fits all.

Honestly from reading the last 3 pages of your posts its my opinion the MP9 would be the best car for you. Its going to be very similiar to the RC8 but with the engine so much further forward its certain to have more of that steering you seem to be looking for. That is if you are certain you wanna try a different car instead of finding a set-up for your RC8.

Me Ive decided to stick with the RC8. It just seems to fit my style and since Ive been running it for over a year now I know exactly what changes I can make to get it to do what I want...but I tried alot of cars before I was able to know that
Old 01-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #65
Tech Regular

If were talking about fastest, most responsive steering than my nod goes to the 8ight. This is evidenced when you hand one over to someone that isn't used to it... They can't handle it and it takes some getting used to.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Hey Zero did you see Joey Powell's Hyper 9 at the race?
USA.JQRACING.COM / WWW.NEMORACINGUSA.COM
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor_clawzz View Post
For some reason I believe it's always a good call to avoid products that doesn't get reviewed in major R/C magazines. Just a harmless opinion
the kaos has been tested by a mag and had great reviews its a mbx5 clone so it is very nice car.
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote