R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Questions?? Losi 8eigh buggy kit question on solidity

I want an 1/8 scale buggy for BASHING ONLY!!! I'll put a Novarossi plus 28-7 in it and i want jump and play in sand pit only.
My main choice is the Mugen MBX5R and the Jammin X1 CR FT.
But at my LHS, they've a great deal on the 8eigh, but i've eared that this buggy is a good racer, but not very reliable and solid compare to the other Mugen,Jammin or Ofna.

Is it true???

Thank you!
dakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Not true. The car is extremely durable and upgradeable to the new car which is even more durable.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakamat View Post
I want an 1/8 scale buggy for BASHING ONLY!!! I'll put a Novarossi plus 28-7 in it and i want jump and play in sand pit only.
Why would you only be bashing in a sand pit of all places??? Thats the last place I would put it....sand pits are for sand castles!!
BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOST View Post
Why would you only be bashing in a sand pit of all places??? Thats the last place I would put it....sand pits are for sand castles!!
+100 on that comment, might as well run it in the water too. Sand will eat that thing up. Losi buggies are very tough, had more parts wear out than break, but your going to spend that much dough to bash. Goodluck
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

If your ONLY going to be bashing I would look into a Savage X 4.6 rtr truck before I would look at any buggies or truggies. Especially in a gravel pit where you will be scraping the heck out of the buggy/truggy chassis.

A savage can really take a beating and loves air so it would be a perfect fit for you. All a buggy will do is spin some donuts and bottom out frequently with the type of running you have in mind.

Let the buggies race and the MT's bash........
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP View Post
If your ONLY going to be bashing I would look into a Savage X 4.6 rtr truck before I would look at any buggies or truggies. Especially in a gravel pit where you will be scraping the heck out of the buggy/truggy chassis.

A savage can really take a beating and loves air so it would be a perfect fit for you. All a buggy will do is spin some donuts and bottom out frequently with the type of running you have in mind.

Let the buggies race and the MT's bash........
Yep..and the Savage would be more fun in this type of an environment..I would look at the new Flux Savage (brushless), Sand is not to good for nitro motors or clutches..Lipo brushless = stupidly faaast..
Old 01-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Hey guys, you're out of topic
My question was not if buggy/truggy was better than MT for bashing, my question was, is the Losi 8eigh buggy is strong enough for bashing

I've a revo with a Picco 26MAX red dot, and i had a Savage XSS with a RB TM928 last summer.
But the main problems with MT is that's not as strong than a truggy or a buggy.
On a MT, the tranny is the week spot, and i want to have a truck with a center diff to go bashing, right
dakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The Savage is stronger than any buggy or truggy I've seen..not as good for racing..But..The Mugen is tough and with the MBX6 out the 5 should be cheap..but I just wonder about parts availability in the future, The Jammin is also tough but I dont think it's as tough as the Mugen..Out of the 2 the Mugen would be my choice..for motors I would still use a 21 on a buggy, just for the reason that a 28 would so over power the buggy that it would be wasted on tire spin..as in excessive and a 28 is not going to be faster on the top end than a 21..you would run outta room before it would happen..maybe a good 24 would be the ticket..fine line between to much and not enough..