Wiki Posts
Search

Losi LIPO Balancer Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default Losi LIPO Balancer Question

I just purchased a Losi 14.8v starter box battery and I am looking to balance charge it with my hyperion eos 0606i charger. A-main sold me a balance port for thunder power type connection (click here) but the 4s port has one more pin on the connector than the balance port on the battery. Can I use this connection to balance charge the battery or is it the wrong one. I don’t want any lipo induced mishaps. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

yeah had the sme problem bought losi lipos for receiver and starterbox and hyperion charger to charge them oops. called amain the guy that answered did't have a clue to he got the charger and battery out at their shop and said, "yup there different." LOL sold my starter box battery for a HT and I was told not sure it its true but since the receiver is only 2 cels and discharges so slowly i should not have any problems charging it without the balacing it??
Old 01-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks. But I just bought the battery and its 4s so I think it needs to be balanced. Somebody must know. There has to be an adapter to balance charge it with a hyperion charger.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Hey, you guys have the same name

Frank, do the pins line up? Like they are the correct balance plug type? I have two types of balance plugs - I don't know the technical terms - sorry - and I have a set of adaptors to get me from one type to the other. I can look up what brand for ya if that is the issue. Let me know. Thanks
Old 01-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Losi Lipo's come with a Losi style connector and only Losi chargers come with them. Losi may sell an adapter or you could make one.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Losi sells balance lead adapters

http://www.tiltedrc.com/product_info...ducts_id=12658

I dont have a Hyperion charger so I cant tell you if they will plug into it though. If you get them please let me know if they work because I am interested in upgrading to the Hyperion charger.

I have a Multiplex that doesnt balance and a Mystery charger that does balance but I had to reverse polarity on those adapters to make it work.

I wish they would standarize the lipo balance connectors or at least make it easier to tell which adapts to what because its pretty confusing right now.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

with a different charger i ran into the same issue. i called losi and they said to buy there balance converter pack losb9651(they do have one whether or not it works for you stuff)anyhow my starter box lipo was compatible but not reciever packs. luckily there were only 3 wires to the balance lead that I soldiered. i use lipo in both truggy&buggy so i had 2 batteries. my problem with soldiering was making sure that the correct wire were to be soldiered and vise versa. i took a stab at it and ended up getting them matched up correctly. pretty big confusing pain in the neck..
Old 01-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jkas10
Hey, you guys have the same name

Frank, do the pins line up? Like they are the correct balance plug type? I have two types of balance plugs - I don't know the technical terms - sorry - and I have a set of adaptors to get me from one type to the other. I can look up what brand for ya if that is the issue. Let me know. Thanks
The pins line up and the plug locks in but there is an extra pin on the charger balance connection that is not on the battery balance port. Dont want to damage a new lipo battery.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

OH...........I thought I was in nitro off road
Old 01-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Lord

Talked to LOSI and they only know that the losi battery takes a losi balance type connector. The Hyperion charger is smart such that it knows when the battery and balancer are connected properly. The Thunder Power balance connector has 6 pins on the 4s connection, however if you plug the losi balance connector starting with the #1 pin the charger reads that the balancer is connected correctly and it works as it should. Haven’t contacted Hyperion but it seems to work with the Thunder Power type connector. I have never used a Hyperion charger and it is totally quiet no noise at all. It is cold outside. Anyone know if this is normal? The display reads that it is charging, I just never had a charger that was totally quiet.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

used the hyperion charger all last season, its always quiet and has never failed me. so far so good.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitroburner65
OH...........I thought I was in nitro off road
How do you start your off road nirto engine without a starter box?? Push start maybe??
Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by franklucas
yeah had the sme problem bought losi lipos for receiver and starterbox and hyperion charger to charge them oops. called amain the guy that answered did't have a clue to he got the charger and battery out at their shop and said, "yup there different." LOL sold my starter box battery for a HT and I was told not sure it its true but since the receiver is only 2 cels and discharges so slowly i should not have any problems charging it without the balacing it??
2s RX-Receiver Pack, you need to balance it.
TX- Transmitter, no need to balance.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have the same batteries and charger, the starter battery i had to use a adaptor to go from battery to balancer. With the RX battery I use this, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMGS7&P=ML, it worked but dont really know if its the right way.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here's what I use to balance my Losi 2S Lipos.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10837
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9704