R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Which do I purchase? Looking for advice from some experts.

Ok...When I was a teenager, I was big into RC Cars (owned an RC10, and a couple others). I got away from it, and now at age 31, I want to get back into it. After doing some research, I definitely want a Nitro powered car/truck as opposed to electric (seems much more fun).

I have targeted 3 racing trucks and was hoping to get some feedback on the direction I should go. I don't want something that is for SUPER advanced RC car enthusiasts. I am somewhere in the middle experience wise...and this would be my first Nitro vehicle.

1.) Traxxas - Nitro Rustler RTR (2.5 engine) I have read a lot of good things about this vehicle, Traxxas's quality, and the success of this engine.

2.) HPI Racing - Firestorm RTR Seems like it is for beginners??

3.) HPI Racing - Nitro MT2 G3.0 Maybe too advance for me at this point?

4.) Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback, I greatly appreciate it.
NittanyFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Why not go back to the RC10? The RC10GT2 is a nice nitro setup, it's not a bashing truck though, it's a racer. I'd even recommend the RC10T4, with a lipo/brushless setup it's amazing on the track. I got back into after 10 years too. I swore I'd never own an electric vehicle. After getting my first electric (the RC10T4 w/ CC Sidewinder & 5700kV motor) I don't want to deal with nitro any more. Needless to say I am hooked electric. In the last 10 years, electric has come a long way, nitro hasn't changed much at all, other than the fuel cost 4x more. So again, before you decide, give a brushless stadium truck a try, you won't be disappointed.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I'd go with the Traxxas, not that it is the best performer of the 3 you listed, but parts are cheap readily available and the instructions with the truck and engine are the best for someone with not a whole lot of expierence. I beleive it somes with a dvd detailing the breakin process and engine tuning process.
franklucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Default Stick to electric...something I should consider maybe

Thanks for the quick feedback. Sticking to electric was not something I had initially considered. I remember all of the challenges of it before, but maybe I need to research it some more.

Thank you.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

go with the nitro batteries are for flashlights LOL
franklucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Default Not so bad.....

Yes, running electric appears to have become alot easier nowadays. No battery matching, comm truing. Just plug the stuff in and go. Run times are a lot higher and the brushless motors are awesome.

Back on your original question, if you are wanting something between a basher and a full-on racer, the Losi 8ight-T RTR is a good choice if you are wanting to run 1/8 scale. Can use it for both and can upgrade it with better parts if the urge hits to get back to serious mode for racing....you can even put brushless/lipo setups in 1/8 scale cars now and they are quicker than nitro!

Associated and Losi also make good 1/10 scale gas trucks that can be used for both, but both are geared more for serious racing.

Losi - Spektrum - Byron's Fuel - Airtronics
Robbie
GSHobby.com
n10cities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Default Point about upgrading

I am someone, who once re-acquainted with this stuff, will want to tinker and upgrade...so that is something I need to consider as well.

Are the selections I had listed upgradeable? Based on what I read, it sounded like they were.

Here's another question. Are nitro engines typically reliable, or do a number of issues come with them?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyFalcon View Post
I am someone, who once re-acquainted with this stuff, will want to tinker and upgrade...so that is something I need to consider as well.

Are the selections I had listed upgradeable? Based on what I read, it sounded like they were.

Here's another question. Are nitro engines typically reliable, or do a number of issues come with them?
They're all right.. Still finicky to tune just like always. Once tuned they're pretty good. Most sh*t the bed between 2-6 gallons though.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I left electric awhile back and bought nitro. I then left nitro and went electric once brushless and lipo were mainstream.

Brushless and lipo are easier to deal with, much faster, and significantly less maintenance.

I'd suggest at least looking into it.
rcterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Default Dumb question probably

It sounds like Nitro is more expensive to up-keep than electric?

How is the runtime w/ electric now with these brushless motors? Brushless is new to me...

One of things I always disliked about electric was that when the battery died, the car would just take off in some direction and not stop until it hit something. I can't tell you how may times I had to repair my front end!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:

How is the runtime w/ electric now with these brushless motors? Brushless is new to me...

One of things I always disliked about electric was that when the battery died, the car would just take off in some direction and not stop until it hit something. I can't tell you how may times I had to repair my front end!
Depending on what kind of car you get and battery size, you can get up to 45 minutes on one charge. I had a Rustler VXL and with a 3s 8000 battery the car could break 70mph, it was indestructible after a few upgrades, and I could run about 45 minutes messing around in the street.

You may also want to consider the Traxxas E-Revo. If you got the cash, get the one that is RTR with the Castle Brushless system already installed. It will probably hit 60mph with 6s Lipos.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)
Send a message via AIM to TRYMY4.0

I have 2 firestorms, 1st vehicle I got back into RC with. (both are for sale btw)

They are GREAT for bashing. Has a ton of pick up and great mid range. I play with mine almost every other day. The only thing I can complain about with the firestorm is the steering servo is weak. But I generally run mines on pavement. Once it gets in grass/dirt it is tons of fun.

-Ant.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Default Great feedback

I really appreciate all the great feedback. I was convinced Nitro was the way to go, but after learning about brushless electric, I need to look into it for sure. Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:

Check out www.castlecreations.com, they have great ESC/Brushless setups. These systems have a lipo cut-off to protect the battery... You'll know when the car is done, it will briefly slow down then stop to protect the battery. No runaways. BL/Lipo costs more than nitro upfront, especially if you buy lots of batteries, but I'd say in the end it would cost less and be much more reliable. And you can't deny the convenience of not having to "start" the engine. Lipo batteries are coming down in price. In fact, I race 2WD truck with $35 batteries, and with 3 of them I never have to stop running. ($35 Pro-Tek battery from A Main, 2S 15C 4000mAh)

Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

If I was going tenth scale or smaller, I would definitely go ele. If I was going bigger I would go nitro. I have had an ele T4 and a gas GT2. Brother and sister trucks. One was gas and the other was electric. The electric T4 was twice as easy to deal with. Two good Lipo packs and a charger and you are set. The Nitro GT2 was a lot of stuff... starter box, fuel fuel bottle, glow stick, tuning and the list goes on. Plus, it was always twice as nasty after a run, and everything is crammmmed on the truck. A real pain to work on. Fuel and dirt equals nasty, gunky grime. Now that I think about it the T4 is 100% easier. Never will own a gas truck again. However, if I was going 1/8th or larger nitro is the only game in town. IMO.

Hope this helps.
mracer is offline   Reply With Quote