Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAJA 5B First run, went great then after 5 min started to bog

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Default BAJA 5B First run, went great then after 5 min started to bog

BAJA 5B First run, went great . It was screamin tearin up the grass and topping out. I then stopped gasing it for a second just to take a look it the car make sure everything ok. After that i tried throttling it and it was bogging and acting like it didnt wanna move so I shut off the engine. I then tried starting it back up and it wouldnt start?? I tried using the choke a few times and made sure gas was gettin to the engine but no luck. Any ideas??
Old 01-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't have a 5b, but my first guess would be the clutch is binding. The engine may have overheated and blew your plug also.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Initiate

try replacing your glow plug!! and when you try to start it up after replacing, do not put the choke on. you have probably cranked it full of gas.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Well the whole manual for the car doesnt even tell you how to change the spark plug or even has it in the troubleshooting guide. This uses spark plugs not glow plugs. I dont think the sparkplug can go so quickly, can it?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Check the ring. Probably went lean. Most likely it will be visible from the exhaust port.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Here's a couple of things that I've encountered over the last year or so that *could* be causing the problem....

Loose spark plug - for whatever reason these plugs tend to back themselves out - I've had it a couple of times. Sympton is exactly as you describe - starts to bog and then shuts down. Evidently my fear of stripping out the aluminum head keeps me from getting it tight enough but for heaven's sake - DON'T WAIL ON IT - it's a steel plug threading into an aluminum head!

Plugged exhaust - tail first landings with the SS (you didn't say which model you have) can plug the exhaust and shut the engine down!

AND, for the sake of those of us who have attempted to help, please come back and tell us what the problem was and how you fixed it!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

I dunno what was wrong, or maybe it had something to do with it being 25degrees our but i just started it up and its running fine, but thanks for your responses
Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

I also noticed one of the rubber covers for where the axle is connected is tore. Should i not run it until i have a new one?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

If you are having problems with the Spark Plug....put some Anti-seize on the threads (threads only) and give the plug a good torque. Should solve your problem.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default hey guys since somebody else has your attention!!

I have a 5BSS and i have an issue... when i strt it up it runs idles perfect and it never stalls even in the instance im about to explain!

Now I ran it the first few tanks kinda easy (cant say i totally babied it) BUT I wasnt given er everywhere...

I noticed that alot of dried grass got wedged in the head...blew that out thaught maybe it got hot because of lack of air flow??

Now it runs like a top at idle but when i try to get to top end it bogs (falls on its face) almost as if its starving for fuel with no grass and no matter where the tuning needles are. Now I understand the tuneing process and I am an experianced tuner when it comes to nitro so ive already checked fuel lines and return and the baja is brand new... now the things ive thaught

Now it gets to top end but its intermittent...right at first when i start it no problem the first couple attempts to get to top end its ok then it starts to bog in the middle and once in awhile it will snap out of it and hit full rip! i dunno???

loose carb?

bad plug but i dont think it would idle or hit top end??

ive ruled out the fuel because im useing injex and a regular grade gas (less methanol i beleieve?) and properly mixed

could it be I didnt break in the engine enough before hand??

if anyone has any ideas please share thanks guys beforehand!!

If it were a Nitro Buggy or Truggy or anything for that matter it would be a no brainer to me but this gas stuff ive never played with
Old 01-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Addict

I have a Baja also, and although I don't have the answer for you, I spent a couple months on the HPI Baja Forum after I got the car, and that site has a wealth of information. You might want to check that out.

http://www.hpibajaforum.com
Old 01-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

try checking the fuel clip holders that hold both fuel lines together. when i first got my baja and after about a tank it would not want to start up and when i did get it started it just boged down and died. i took that off and it started right up and ran perfect and i have yet to have a problem.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaV3N
I also noticed one of the rubber covers for where the axle is connected is tore. Should i not run it until i have a new one?
Good posts - just wish wknew for sure WHAT got it running better..... Self healing???? Desire??? Probably NOT!

BUT, hopefully it was something simple and not going to be a recurring problem!

Now it gets to top end but its intermittent...right at first when i start it no problem the first couple attempts to get to top end its ok then it starts to bog in the middle and once in awhile it will snap out of it and hit full rip! i dunno???
I primarily race my buggy but ran it in the back yard once to show my wife (she was actually mildly impressed) and it took FOREVER to get all of the dried grass out..... Your sympton sounds like it could be heat related - I'd go back and check everything in the drive train - gears, brakes and everywhere for more dried grass! My bed is that you've possibly got some wedged in the fan housing or somewhere that's not realy accessable and would be causing the engine to heat up or BIND up - and therefore loose power.

I have a Baja also, and although I don't have the answer for you, I spent a couple months on the HPI Baja Forum after I got the car, and that site has a wealth of information. You might want to check that out.

http://www.hpibajaforum.com
Excellent advice - I spend a bit of time there and they are for the most part a VERY knowledgeable bunch!
Old 05-31-2018, 02:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RaV3N
BAJA 5B First run, went great . It was screamin tearin up the grass and topping out. I then stopped gasing it for a second just to take a look it the car make sure everything ok. After that i tried throttling it and it was bogging and acting like it didnt wanna move so I shut off the engine. I then tried starting it back up and it wouldnt start?? I tried using the choke a few times and made sure gas was gettin to the engine but no luck. Any ideas??
I have the Baja 5b fully custom with the kraken tsk-b cage and when I rip it and it warms up the engine shuts down and won' restart till it gets cool any ideas could it be the ignition coil everything else is brand new went threw everything still does it? Please help