R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default keeping clean

how do you guys clean your cars?
seems the dust, dirt and mud just gets EVERYWHERE.
whats your process?
macscac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ok here is my basic cleaning process. can be done in about an hour maybe less.
step 1: take the dirty car and pull the body, wing, and tires off. Now pull the engine, fuel tank, radio tray, and pipe off.

step 2: with it torn down to the basic roller chassis, hose it down with the garden hose (I use a short hose attached to my basement sink in the winter)

step 3: douse heavily with diluted simple green and scrub with a scrub brush/ tooth brush for small areas.

step 4: rinse with hose

step 5: spray bearings and outdrives etc. with wd-40

step 6: coat with pledge (yes the furniture cleaner/polish). this step can be skipped or you can use wd-40 for this too. I prefer the pledge because it shines it, doesn't leave an oily residue and repels dust.

step 7: dry with air compressor and wrags.

step 8: reassemble

step 9: get it dirty again lol

My cars look brand new every weekend. Some may prefer to remove the shocks aswell, and clean them seperately. Personally I have never had a problem with them getting any water in them.

It may also be a good idea to use wd-40 on hinge pins and ball end joints.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to CmdGrimlock

Dont forget to remove the servo's also - will be attatched to the radio tray
[SIZE="1"][b]* HPI Baja 5B RTR 2.0[/b] [color=blue]::[/color] Hopin' It Up!!! [color=blue]::[/color] [url=http://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-larger-scales-more/285144-knock-knock-whos-there-baja-pieces-arrive.html#post5599536]Build and HopUp Thread - Come Say Hi![/url] :)
[b]* Mugen Seiki MBX5T [/b][color=blue]::[/color] GO Racing .21 7 Port :: GO Femca 8081 Pipe [color=blue]::[/color] Thanks to [url=http://www.rchobbyzone.com.au/Home.php]RCHobbyZone[/url] :sneaky:
[b]* Hyper 8 PRO [/b][color=blue]::[/color] OS-30VG :: TT Tuned Pipe :tire: - I think I might sell it :D
[b]* JR XS3 Radio[/b] [color=blue]::[/color] Needing More Receivers! :( (JR-310 27Mhz incase you wanna know)
[/SIZE]
CmdGrimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to pinky2252s Send a message via MSN to pinky2252s

I use simple green or i prefer "greenworks" by clorox, its safe for the world!

But anywho i take out the batts and the receiver (just to make sure nothing can turn on) spray it all over and spray it off with a compresser, then after the dirt is off, spray the entire car with wd-40 to make the plastics look new, also spray off

Thats what i do and its done!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

get compresser, get as much dirt off as you can with that, then spray with WD-40 and let it sit for 10 minutes, then get compresser to it again, and shes sparkling!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
Tech Adept

I never use a garden hose or directly spray water on my buggy. This can cause unforseen problems. Water can sieze screws that thread into any metal, rust and/or pit hingepins causing excessive suspension arm wear and damage to your shocks and bearings. This is how i like to do it, it takes 1.5-2 hours tops depending on how many maintenence issues you find.

-Remove/Clean Body
-Remove tires/wheels
-Pull Engine/Pipe and fuel line
-Pull Radio tray
-Fuel tank,Take a 6in peice of spare fuel tubing and route it from the pressure nipple to the outlet nipple. Remove/Clean.
-Remove/Clean wing
-Remove shocks
-Detatch swaybars from arms
-Remove all 4 upper hubcarrier hingepins/screws so the axles will flop out of the outdrives
-Use dry toothbrush to brush off the heavy dirt
-Use pick to clean dirt from screwheads on bottom side of chassis
-Take a red plastic party cup and fill it halfway with 50/50 Simple Green and alcohol.
-Dip toothbrush into cup and scrub the entire chassis like hell starting from one end and wipe with a rag as you go. But stay away from outer wheel bearings.
-Remove the wheel hubs then pop out the wheel bearings and wipe them off. Roll between your fingers, if their gritty, clean and relube.
-Remove springs and boots from shocks and clean and inspect assembly.
-Use dry toothbrush to scrub radio tray
-Dry toothbrush on the engine/pipe, inspect/repair clutch
-clean re-oil air filters
The product I use to protect and lubricate the chassis may be hard to find for you but its called Maxima SC1. Motocross shops that carry Maxima brand lubricants will have it. It is superior to WD40 because it dries non greasy so dust doesnt stick but leaves a "wet" appearance. After assembly I spray the crap out of the car save the brakes and let it dry.
I found this cleaning method works best because not only does it keep harmful water away but also allows you to put your hands and eyes on every part of the car so you can see any problems that may have came up.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Water does not hurt anything if you dry the buggy straight away and completely, I use the air gun to blow dry it, it cuts the cleaning time down immensely.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I carry a couple old paint brushes with me, and between qualifiers, brush off the dirt / clay build up on the tires / arms / shocks etc. Then when I'm home, I'll take off the engine w/ pipe, radio tray, and fuel tank. Spray with simply green mix, and brush with old paint brushes and old tooth brushes. Hose off, then dry completely with a hair dryer.

Then I check it over to ensure bearings are not gritty and lubed, look for worm or broken parts. Check springs, retainers, clips, etc.

Assemble and get ready for the weekend!!

The old paint brushes at the track really help keeping it clean.
offr0aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:33 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by offr0aden View Post
I carry a couple old paint brushes with me, and between qualifiers, brush off the dirt / clay build up on the tires / arms / shocks etc. Then when I'm home, I'll take off the engine w/ pipe, radio tray, and fuel tank. Spray with simply green mix, and brush with old paint brushes and old tooth brushes. Hose off, then dry completely with a hair dryer.

Then I check it over to ensure bearings are not gritty and lubed, look for worm or broken parts. Check springs, retainers, clips, etc.

Assemble and get ready for the weekend!!

The old paint brushes at the track really help keeping it clean.
I pretty much clean and look after my truggy that way but I have never thought of using a hair dryer to dry the car off (I dont have a compressor yet).
I usually wash it down then spray it with heaps of wd-40, so thanks for that advice I will give it a go next time it gets dirty. Just over a week away, YAY.
slowey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use this handy little tool http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97014
Take a 5gal fuel tank, buy a bottle of Orange Blast cleaner (auto dept at Wal Mart) pour into tank, finish by filling with water. hook above tool to air compressor, drop hose into tank, kick up 40-50psi on the compressor, and wala, pressure washer on a mini scale!!
Pull radio tray and motor and go to town. The orange peel in the cleaner acts as a cleaner plus it protects from rust. After cleaning, change to air gun and blow dry, car looks like new!!! Clean buggy in less than 15 minutes!!Best thing I have ever found!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactoryTeam08 View Post
Water does not hurt anything if you dry the buggy straight away and completely, I use the air gun to blow dry it, it cuts the cleaning time down immensely.
x2 I've been cleaning my way for years without one rusty screw, seized up bearing or damage to shocks. thats why I spray the bearings and outdrives with wd-40 and get it dry immediately after i'm done. I could see a problem if you leaft it wet for like an hour but other than that water doesn't hurt ANYTHING. I too have used a heat gun of hair dryer in a pinch. works pretty well.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wall View Post
I use this handy little tool http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97014
Take a 5gal fuel tank, buy a bottle of Orange Blast cleaner (auto dept at Wal Mart) pour into tank, finish by filling with water. hook above tool to air compressor, drop hose into tank, kick up 40-50psi on the compressor, and wala, pressure washer on a mini scale!!
Pull radio tray and motor and go to town. The orange peel in the cleaner acts as a cleaner plus it protects from rust. After cleaning, change to air gun and blow dry, car looks like new!!! Clean buggy in less than 15 minutes!!Best thing I have ever found!!
I have used a tool simmilar to that before and it is great if you don't have close access to a hose but I found(after using that tool for months) that the garden hose method gets the car alot cleaner, alot easier. If i am at a race or something where I don't have a hose and I wanna clean up I will still bust it out and use it. It gets the job done, it's just more time consuming than using the hose with a fairly high pressure nozzle.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

Yeah I do the air - simple green - air and then wd40 method also.

I heard form someone at the track though, that wd-40 is not good for plastics and slowly dissolves them. Just wondering if this is true
Team El Cajon Hobbies
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Tech Regular

wow! pretty time consuming!!!
im so used to on road cars that i just use a can of compressed air to blow over it a few minutes and voila!!!

guess i better figure out how to quickly pull the motor and electronics!
thanks guys!
macscac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

+1 i have always cleaned my rides with this method

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
x2 I've been cleaning my way for years without one rusty screw, seized up bearing or damage to shocks. thats why I spray the bearings and outdrives with wd-40 and get it dry immediately after i'm done. I could see a problem if you leaft it wet for like an hour but other than that water doesn't hurt ANYTHING. I too have used a heat gun of hair dryer in a pinch. works pretty well.
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote