R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to R/C... Input appreciated

I've wanted a r/c car to play with for a long time...I am more familiar with diesel trucks so I've came to all of you for some input...I haven't researched much but I'm very interested in the Traxxas Jato...0-60 in 4.2 seconds and 2nd gear wheelies is tempting...

Is there anything similar to this truck that isn't as costly?

I'm not biased to brands in this hobby since I know nothing about it so any input will be taken as helpful information.

Thanks in advance.
TxBoy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Actually, if balls-to-the-walls speed is what you want, then you might want to look at something electric. Losi has the Speed-T which is designed for all out speed. You slap a high power battery and a decent brushless system and you've got 60mph easy. And much cleaner and quieter.

I am all about nitro, but certain situations are perfect for electrics and neighborhood straightaway speed runs in front of the house is one of them.

The HPI Savage is a pretty quick truck too. And it's a Monster Truck, so it has a lot more ground clearance than the Jato. And you can get an optional 3 speed tranny for it I believe. It already has a 2-speed.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

In that area, of gas truck with 2 speed the Jato is the only one.

With a truck like that 60 Mph is a little on the uncontrollable side. Read a little on these forums about 1/8th Scale buggys or truggys or monster trucks. Those are sometimes pretty cost effective depending on the route you choose, stronger than the jato, and more off road and race capable.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The problem with speed and an r/c car is that their very uncontrollable, people don't race the Jato because it's only good for wheelies due to it's power. A friend of mine has an electric brushless mini that goes extremely fast in a straight line then gets airborne and crashes, not very fun in my opinion.
On road cars go very fast and are made for racing and have the aero package to help keep them on all fours.
Most offroad racing cars such as buggies and truggies go fast and are raceable and are extremely fun just about anywhere and they come in electric if you prefer.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBoy09 View Post
...I am more familiar with diesel trucks ...
You'll feel right at home with a nitro car / truck / buggy. These little nitro engines operate a lot like diesels.

60 mph is cool for bragging, but realisticly anything aproaching 40 can get pretty squirrelly in the dirt if you are't paying attention.
1:10, 2-wd Stadium Trucks
B-Mod Tunnels
If ignorance is bliss... I must be in heaven!
chunk t is offline   Reply With Quote