R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #61
Tech Addict
 
pull-start's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dirty Jerzee
Posts: 712
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

I am a fan of the Hellfire. I have owned 2 (a RTR and a SS kit)
They kept up with pretty much all of the high-end truggies out there and were tough as nails.
If they still made the SS kit I would pick up another 1 and convert it to brushless.
My SS had a RB C6 in it that moved! I really miss that truggy.

RTR


SS
pull-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #62
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvx400Rider View Post
I never said they weren't. I'm buying a truggy. I'm just saying that I doubt it's as strong as a Savage. That's it. Not saying I disagree with you about them being tough/strong. I can't wait till I get mine. I'll probably have it broke within the first few hours of driving it. I'm just rough on cars. I mash on them. I'll always think the savage is stronger.

I used to think that way too...at one time I thought the Savages were the toughest RC ever.... However I gotta say that i couldnt have been further from the truth.... Savages breakdown much more then a Truggy does, me and my group have been running both Savages and Truggies and after 2 seasons and over 100 gallons of fuel combined we now realize how much stronger and more reliable the Truggies are....We always find we are wrenching on the Savages, there is always something wrong... spur gear, 2 speed, outdrives, diff's, dogbones etc...no matter what the Savages are always breaking and needing parts.... The Savage drivetrain is very weak, we are constantly blowing diffs and /3 speeds when running our modded Picco 28's...The Mugen however has no issues handling a modified Picco 28, I have 30 gallons on my original set of diffs..........

Anyways to make a long story short, people rarely bash with a race grade Truggy because 99% of people who buy Mugen's are racers, 99% of bashers wrongly feel HPI is the best company for bashing and they are almost always unwilling to try anything else...so as a rule racers buy racer gear, and bashers stick to the low end RTR gear...... However I promise you that if you were take a Savage and a MBX5T for a whole season of bashing like I did you would see as clear as day the Truggy is far more durable and reliable, you will spend way more money keeping your Savage running then you will spend keeping the Mugen running... as well you will spend way more money on needed hoppups for the Savage that the Mugen will not need.... Savage's aren't all what they are cracked up to be, IMO they are very expensive and unreliable, they require a constant stream of upgrades, and their drietrains are terrible....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #63
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I used to think that way too...at one time I thought the Savages were the toughest RC ever.... However I gotta say that i couldnt have been further from the truth.... Savages breakdown much more then a Truggy does, me and my group have been running both Savages and Truggies and after 2 seasons and over 100 gallons of fuel combined we now realize how much stronger and more reliable the Truggies are....We always find we are wrenching on the Savages, there is always something wrong... spur gear, 2 speed, outdrives, diff's, dogbones etc...no matter what the Savages are always breaking and needing parts.... The Savage drivetrain is very weak, we are constantly blowing diffs and /3 speeds when running our modded Picco 28's...The Mugen however has no issues handling a modified Picco 28, I have 30 gallons on my original set of diffs..........

Anyways to make a long story short, people rarely bash with a race grade Truggy because 99% of people who buy Mugen's are racers, 99% of bashers wrongly feel HPI is the best company for bashing and they are almost always unwilling to try anything else...so as a rule racers buy racer gear, and bashers stick to the low end RTR gear...... However I promise you that if you were take a Savage and a MBX5T for a whole season of bashing like I did you would see as clear as day the Truggy is far more durable and reliable, you will spend way more money keeping your Savage running then you will spend keeping the Mugen running... as well you will spend way more money on needed hoppups for the Savage that the Mugen will not need.... Savage's aren't all what they are cracked up to be, IMO they are very expensive and unreliable, they require a constant stream of upgrades, and their drietrains are terrible....

I'm still not going to believe you because we have two Savage's here, an X and a XL and they run fine. They both could be fired right up and driven.
Dvx400Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #64
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvx400Rider View Post
I'm still not going to believe you because we have two Savage's here, an X and a XL and they run fine. They both could be fired right up and driven.

thats fine, to each their own.... however one day when you bash with a quality Truggy your going to see exactly what I am telling you.... I used to feel exactly the same way as you do, so I can definitely understand your skepticism on the subject..... These days I couldn't be bothered running a MT, way too much work to keep em running if you bash hard !
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #65
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
thats fine, to each their own.... however one day when you bash with a quality Truggy your going to see exactly what I am telling you.... I used to feel exactly the same way as you do, so I can definitely understand your skepticism on the subject..... These days I couldn't be bothered running a MT, way too much work to keep em running if you bash hard !

We'll see. Thanks for not giving me the Pro's and Con's of the Hellfire.

Last edited by Dvx400Rider; 01-12-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Needs editing
Dvx400Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #66
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvx400Rider View Post
We'll see. Thanks for not giving me the Pro's and Con's of the Hellfire.

I liked the hellfire at the time I ran it... It was definitely a much better handling machine then my Revo was, we broke several control arms and chewed a few diff's, however for the most part it was good for its time... The fuel tank is one of the best, it tunes very nicely from full to empty... working on the HF is a bit of a pain if i remember correctly, but not nearly as bad as a Revo or Savage....... On the track the HF did decent also, it has no issue beating up any of the MT's, and could hang with the Truggies of that day, LSP, XUT etc.. But once the CRT and MBX5T came around I no longer ran the HF, the newer trucks were IMO much better racers.....For what it is the there is nothing wrong with the Hellfire really and if your dead set on one then by all means go for it.....If all your doing is bashing then the HF will do just fine, and if your already impressed with the Savage's durability then the Hellfire is going to also make you happy ! how much can you buy the HF for ?
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #67
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I liked the hellfire at the time I ran it... It was definitely a much better handling machine then my Revo was, we broke several control arms and chewed a few diff's, however for the most part it was good for its time... The fuel tank is one of the best, it tunes very nicely from full to empty... working on the HF is a bit of a pain if i remember correctly, but not nearly as bad as a Revo or Savage....... On the track the HF did decent also, it has no issue beating up any of the MT's, and could hang with the Truggies of that day, LSP, XUT etc.. But once the CRT and MBX5T came around I no longer ran the HF, the newer trucks were IMO much better racers.....For what it is the there is nothing wrong with the Hellfire really and if your dead set on one then by all means go for it.....If all your doing is bashing then the HF will do just fine, and if your already impressed with the Savage's durability then the Hellfire is going to also make you happy ! how much can you buy the HF for ?
A brand new one at the HS is like $610. On ebay, they go all over price range, on average though, they're about 250-300 on ebay. Sometimes 160, but rarely.
Dvx400Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #68
Tech Elite
 
T-BirdJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Norwood, OH...and CCRCR and The OhioRCFactory
Posts: 2,973
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to T-BirdJunkie Send a message via MSN to T-BirdJunkie
Default

dvx...the BST forum on RCtech is littered with MBX5Ts for $200ish.
T-BirdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #69
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
dvx...the BST forum on RCtech is littered with MBX5Ts for $200ish.
That is a deal of the century.... for $200.00 to be able to buy a MBX5T Prospec is unreal..I guess being one of the most popular truggies means there are plenty being sold used..... without any insult meant to a hellfire owner, but to be able to buy a used Mugen MBX5T for cheaper then a used Hellfire is unbelievable.....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #70
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
That is a deal of the century.... for $200.00 to be able to buy a MBX5T Prospec is unreal..I guess being one of the most popular truggies means there are plenty being sold used..... without any insult meant to a hellfire owner, but to be able to buy a used Mugen MBX5T for cheaper then a used Hellfire is unbelievable.....
$200 for a roller. I'm not getting it as a roller. I'm getting it as an RTR.
Dvx400Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #71
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvx400Rider View Post
$200 for a roller. I'm not getting it as a roller. I'm getting it as an RTR.
You gotta consider what is included with a RTR ..the stock hellfire engine and servos are nearly worthless, same goes for the radio.. so in essence the only thing truly worthwhile is the roller itself..... As a general rule RTR's are not worth the hassle and extra cost, the manufacturers use the lowest grade engines and electronics, which usually do not last long and end up needing to be replaced anyways... as well a RTR Hellfire is very fragile and nowhere near as durable as a Pro level machine...... I am not trying to be a jerk to you, I am just trying to offer you some sound advice to maximize the money you are spending...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #72
Tech Elite
 
T-BirdJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Norwood, OH...and CCRCR and The OhioRCFactory
Posts: 2,973
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to T-BirdJunkie Send a message via MSN to T-BirdJunkie
Default

+1 maximo, you read my mind.

YEAH! K4.6 and RTR servos! Can't wait!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOH! sexy beast of a truck....

Alternatively, I know a guy who is selling a new-built Hellfire SS sans engine, if you're dead set on a Hellfire
T-BirdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #73
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
+1 maximo, you read my mind.

YEAH! K4.6 and RTR servos! Can't wait!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOH! sexy beast of a truck....

Alternatively, I know a guy who is selling a new-built Hellfire SS sans engine, if you're dead set on a Hellfire
No.
Dvx400Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 AM   #74
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I used to think that way too...at one time I thought the Savages were the toughest RC ever.... However I gotta say that i couldnt have been further from the truth.... Savages breakdown much more then a Truggy does, me and my group have been running both Savages and Truggies and after 2 seasons and over 100 gallons of fuel combined we now realize how much stronger and more reliable the Truggies are....We always find we are wrenching on the Savages, there is always something wrong... spur gear, 2 speed, outdrives, diff's, dogbones etc...no matter what the Savages are always breaking and needing parts.... The Savage drivetrain is very weak, we are constantly blowing diffs and /3 speeds when running our modded Picco 28's...The Mugen however has no issues handling a modified Picco 28, I have 30 gallons on my original set of diffs..........

Anyways to make a long story short, people rarely bash with a race grade Truggy because 99% of people who buy Mugen's are racers, 99% of bashers wrongly feel HPI is the best company for bashing and they are almost always unwilling to try anything else...so as a rule racers buy racer gear, and bashers stick to the low end RTR gear...... However I promise you that if you were take a Savage and a MBX5T for a whole season of bashing like I did you would see as clear as day the Truggy is far more durable and reliable, you will spend way more money keeping your Savage running then you will spend keeping the Mugen running... as well you will spend way more money on needed hoppups for the Savage that the Mugen will not need.... Savage's aren't all what they are cracked up to be, IMO they are very expensive and unreliable, they require a constant stream of upgrades, and their drietrains are terrible....

Sorry but I disagree bashing vs racing. Racing is controlled and prepped track with lots of waiting to run 2 or 3 heats with 10 to 20 min mains. Bashing in most cases rough areas jumping it with no landing ramps, balls to wall. With some of the extreme things I've done to my Savage or what you seen on the net no truggy or buggy will live through that. Theres some massive jumps I seen break your little mugen in 2 (bowed chassis)I have seen this before but never faze the Savage or M/T. Bashing dump more fuel in and keep going. I've used more fuel bashing in 1 day than 1 month of racing. So you tell me again which is harder on a r/c vehicle.

Alot of claim they broke this and that then go online say I broke it. But never tell anyone the truth on HOW they broke the part. I never have broke a control arm on my Hellfire bent front inner pins never broke any control arms. Never blew diffs out either. Most diff are blown out when you struck on the pipe. 1 side of the tires are on the ground the other side in the air you sit there gunning the hell out of it I wonder why you blow diffs out UMMMMM. I never have blown the gears up inside the diff because I know when to stop. I don't have any problems with the 2 or 3 speed with the Savage they was bulletproof as long as you loc-ite the screw sets
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #75
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 855
Default

You never exactly gave the guy advise you just sat there don't buy it because you don't like it. I don't like PBS I'm going to tell you don't buy it. See what I mean
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK Race Talk TryHard Racing Forum 9876 12-05-2010 10:46 AM
HPI Firestorm Official Thread. dracy69 Electric Off-Road 33 08-06-2007 12:46 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:07 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net