R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #16
Tech Adept

if your like i was at first trying to get into it fairly cheap get a rtr buggy play around a lil bit and upgrade servos in a few weeks after they fail then upgrade the motor after it fails.. i look at it how i look at my real truck im not ganna put a new motor in it just becasue its not the fastest if i cant even run the motor to the max. and im not ganna replace my tires just because they are getting some wear ill wait til i cant go any longer then replace stuff. i might not be the fastest guy at the track but im still having fun
ruggydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:52 AM   #17
Tech Adept

rc8 and Losi 8ight are terrific choices for rtr's

my only suggestion is to check with your track and make sure u can race a .28 engine there as well cos some of these rtr's come with .28's not .21's and over here that is a problem so can having a pull start engine.
RC King Hobbies - onlinerc.com.au - Pro-Spec Race Bearings
pantera nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:10 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think for your 600 you should be able to easily get a kit like a Losi 8ight (1.0) ... they are about 300 at moment right? and a ripper motor like a Go Tech 3port race or 5 port and hitec metal gear servos.

That will be a better platform for racing than a RTR with lots of weaker components?

Just my 20c as I am not familiar with US prices, apart from what I see mentioned on the forums. At any rate I got a RC8 FT, Go 5 port and servos for $850aud which is about $600 US.
Mark_Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:25 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Losi all the way. I was an AE guy for 20 years and decided to get back into RC last year and was in the same place you are. Now first don't listen to the guys about weaker parts isn't true. First ask yourself what your LHS supports then narrow down to there. No point buying a castor or kyosho if your hobbyshop doesn't carry parts! You'll be pissed if you have to wait 2 weeks to order parts online, not only that but what are the local guys running if you plan to race easy to borrow a part from the guy next to you. Hop ups get what will improve the performance not the bling factor. First thing to do with the 8ight is highend steering servo (myself I bought the ACE ds1313) if money is a factor do the throttle at a latter date or use steering from rtr for throttle. Next remove and clean diffs then add diff fluid there are setup sheets on the Losi site. Lastly run it and run it have fun learn the vehicle. Guys need to stop knocking rtr's as its a cost effective way to get into the hobby without huge costs and to make sure you like it. Most tracks will accept a .26 or .28 as long as its the original from a rtr. How happy am I with the Losi, well I bought a truggy and bought my wife an 8ight rtr.
sidewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)

I would definately get a losi. DSM radio, metal gear servo, good running engine, and there pretty tuff. i run a losi 8 pro kit and i've havent broke anything on it yet, ive only been into 8th scale for about 1 1/2 month now but still. i love the car. At my local track alot of the sportsman guys run the rtr 8 with stock motor and everything and they run great. The cars are super competitive rite out of the box. JMO
JohnnyLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLeach View Post
I would definately get a losi. DSM radio, metal gear servo, good running engine, and there pretty tuff. i run a losi 8 pro kit and i've havent broke anything on it yet, ive only been into 8th scale for about 1 1/2 month now but still. i love the car. At my local track alot of the sportsman guys run the rtr 8 with stock motor and everything and they run great. The cars are super competitive rite out of the box. JMO
I agree with the money I saved I can upgrade as required or broken. I'm competitive with NO expectations of greatness because its not only learning your buggy its learning the track. I believe track time is more valueable then worrying about a perfectly tuned motor or my perception of tuned. To add I'd rather get my practice tuning on a low cost engine than a topline engine. When I do get a new engine it'll be a good .21 and confidence in tuning.
sidewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebolson View Post
I appreciate the input so far.
No one has really said anything about the cars, beside losi has dsm and a good engine.
I have read the reviews on Caster and think they would be a good option, but on the electic side the mains are to short. This is sad becouse I already have 3 maxamp 6000 mah 2 cells for my zx5.
I would like more comments! Anyone have any rtr's out there?
I would go with the Caster Fusion RTR all you need is a charger and a few battery packs..and you have those..The Fusion takes 2 batteries..and it's $550..On the Radio it's an FM..most tracks that I race at run 20 min. mains for 1/8..nitro or electric....
Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would go with Losi as well but I would either wait till I had more budget and not sell yourself short by getting a RTR. Nothing wrong with the RTR but if you really want to be competitive you will need the Kit and get your engine of your choice. Just my 2cents but go with the kit and your choice of motor and servos.
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to jasonhiggo
Default lrps8bx

lrps8bx rtr bullet proof straight out of the box u will only need servos as that is the only thing what lets the car down no other car has its braking system its my choice but thats only my 20c