Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 163 (99%+)
Default NOVAROSSI PLUS 4 OR NINJA JX21BO1A

Which do you have and like and why?
pink_sleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To start off, I have neither engine, so I can't speak from direct, first-hand experience. That having been said, I'm familiar with the general quality/craftsmanship of both OS and Novarossi, and between those two mills, I would pick Novarossi hands down.

This is not to say that the new Ninja isn't a great engine; quite the contrary, it's a very well designed mill and leaps and bounds better than the V-spec, but I doubt you will ever get a Ninja that will give you better longevity (and probably better run-time) than a Nova; they are the world's largest micro-engine manufacturer, and have probably the most advanced and sophisticated R&D and production facilities you'll ever find in the hobby. All the other engine manufacturers are, sadly, just trying to play catch-up.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sleeve View Post
Which do you have and like and why?
I own and run both, here is my thoughts on them.

Plus 4

An electric driver going to nitro will love this engine, very elct feel to it, but amplified with great power and runtime's Does it have bottom end alot of people are asking this, YES it has bottom but a little smoother than the JX, yes you can run it in truggy for sure, the JP3 worked better on bottom VS the 9901. A great motor to have if you where going to switch from buggy to truck sometimes and wanted only one engine.

JX .21

IMO one of the top engines on the market, and for the price even better, allthough the Plus is the same as the BO1 version, the BO1A is $40 more only due to the milled head and 7mm insert VS the non milled head and 8mm insert on the BO1. for the feel that i like the JX does the trick, a good swift hit on bottom and smooth all the way to the top, and it has alot as well as the plus 4.

If your a buggy guy, both are more than enough and will perform very well in any track condition, and tune with ease, and again runtimes are up there. If your a truggy guy, you may lean toward the JX, it does have a harder hit on bottom but again still smooth. Both are very solid, and both can be gotton for the same price and if you look around you can find them less than some online stores. I run truggy myself, and have ran both in the truggy, and i like the JX, but was just as fast with the Plus, i just prefer the feel of the JX.
615-838-5373
mugenb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I have a 21-4 but have yet to break it in yet. I currently run an mbx6 with a stock 08 p5xs. Another racer buddy of mine has the same buggy but with the jx .21 and the matching pipe(looks just like a 2060). Both our buggies are geared the same and when we practice together on a semi tight indoor track I notice that the ninja seems to have a hair more low end than my car and comes up on pipe faster than my p5. But by the middle of the 160' straight we pretty much equal out. I guess its the combo of the turbo combustion chamber and the lightened crank but the motor looks very smooth, fast and impressive. I wish I had news to share about the plus 4 but not breaking it in until next season. I may have to add a ninja to my collection.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post
To start off, I have neither engine, so I can't speak from direct, first-hand experience. That having been said, I'm familiar with the general quality/craftsmanship of both OS and Novarossi, and between those two mills, I would pick Novarossi hands down.

This is not to say that the new Ninja isn't a great engine; quite the contrary, it's a very well designed mill and leaps and bounds better than the V-spec, but I doubt you will ever get a Ninja that will give you better longevity (and probably better run-time) than a Nova; they are the world's largest micro-engine manufacturer, and have probably the most advanced and sophisticated R&D and production facilities you'll ever find in the hobby. All the other engine manufacturers are, sadly, just trying to play catch-up.
novarossi , i can say that i am impressed with the new mugen/os engines though . still not novarossi though
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Before you make such investments, do some research, i agree both engines from what i have seen and heard are awesome, but there has been reviews and tests done on just about every motor out there.

RC CAR magazine conducts real tests on all the new motors hitting the RC market, to include the Mugen motor. Aaron Waldron of RC CAR magazine ran the new Novarossi mill at the IFMAR worlds, so if you want to know if they actually conduct true tests on such motors, i think that's probably one of the hardest beat downs you can do to just about any motor, especially considering the weather conditions during the worlds.

Stephen Bess raced the JX motor at just about every RC track in southern California, thing is FAST! probably one of the best money can buy hands down.

check out the July 2008 issue, gives you a total break down of the motor, to include break in method he did for the engine, pipe combo, fuel and so on.

I always enjoy reading their engine reviews, lets me decide on which engine to purchase without spending the money or the headaches.
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Tech Adept

I have the JX21 and loving it. Smooth powerband, has more then enough power for any situation, and the best runtime of any engine I've ever owned. I'm getting 16min a tank in my MBX6, not kidding. In fact I'm thinking of getting another JX21 for my truggy.
Losi-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

just put mine back in my XT8 and man does it make power right NOW...and smooth. cant go wrong with this engine.

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote