R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Comparing an old Kyosho K3 to the newer cars isn't a fair assessment. The MP9 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 777WC. I think you just have to pick a car the your local track supports and not what you read on the internet. Ask someone at your local track to drive one or the other or both if available. I think they will be the best way to see what fits you.

Good Luck!
mdrnizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Angry

Wasn't it Kyosho who came up with the 3 diff design for 1/8? If so then EVERY COMPANY that makes 1/8 scale RC copied them.
and you must hate all real cars cause someone copied(not intentional) (same idea) a design of a car from a painting that is older than america or europe or even china.
Besides every living or non living thing on this planet earth, is a copy cat of some form or another. Period no if, and or buts about it.
Losi did not reinvent the wheel with there buggy, they just COPIED what was already there and moved things around a bit.

I think it is in this site or neobuggy where there is a pic of a 20-30 something year old 1/8 scale that has 3 diffs in it. Front, center and rear. dog bones in the center and dog bone axles.
There are bound to be Humans with the same ideas as other humans, always will be.
And no i am not partial to xray or kyosho( in my parts I never seen them in person not even a Losi or a mugen MBX5. All i see around me is my RC8(only one) and the cheaper ofna's.
Heck we have no race tracks for hundreds of miles. closest is rome ,ny which is almost 4 hours away 1 way. so i wont race there to give me the chance to see more.
Race Vehicles-SC8 w/ GRP .28 Tuned,RC8T FT-Reedy VR 121 .21, 2035 pipe, RC8B-Reedy .21
http://www.jerrysrcraceway.com/
mgtmadness2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #48
Tech Master

Gotta love the guys that see a 808 in a mag & think its like a losi. So the front knuckle area are very similar to losi. then what else is the same? Oh thats right 4 wheels 3 diffs & skinny. Shock towers? Design of rear diff? Wide rear arm/narrow rear hub? Stupid diff bearing holders that sit in a grove? Severe front dogbone angles? Pinion gears? Radio tray? How the arms bow & entire car is a slop factory? Some one help me here I've built & worked on both & I'm having a hard time seing what makes the 808 a losi copy.

Look from what I see at the track if you drive like the K car requires then its a good car for you,Kyosho has been known for making a quality part or 2 in the past. I just think it has a very toy-ish look to the parts & overall finished product & thats apperance,I'm not saying quality wise & for the price I dont want to see that apperance.Maybe I can get over that mental thing but for now I have other things to spend money on. I only know the 808 is not a losi & has never let me down & I will keep buying & racing x-ray untill they do. That doesnt mean I wont buy other cars in addition to my 808 also. So far the MP9 & st-rr are the only ones I dont have & I will probably get those one day too. My advice to the original poster is buy both now because you'll probably get the one later that you dont get now,if you do it now you can tell us what you think for yourself.No I dont have the losi 2.0 & never will,I traveled down that road already & will never go there again.

Jeez friggin lawyers like I need that after a hard day,maybe I'll just go watch TV with the wife.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #49
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

Both cars have issues. We ran the 808 and it is a diff bearing eater. Ive seen the mp9 front end break a few times at the track with other drivers but im not sure why its so fragile. All cars have little issues that happen from time to time.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try and run the Z-Car, it has NO known issues and is awesome on teh track!
Its damn near unbreakable.
I know one dude that has 15 gallons on teh ORIGINAL drivetrain!!!
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #51
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to lucky2
Default mp9 vs 808

here in florida i know of three or four of the 9s that have all had problems, i have 808 and mbx6 and for all its worth the 808 is by far better in quality and build overall of the three,thats my two cents.
lucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #52
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtmadness2007 View Post
Wasn't it Kyosho who came up with the 3 diff design for 1/8? If so then EVERY COMPANY that makes 1/8 scale RC copied them.
and you must hate all real cars cause someone copied(not intentional) (same idea) a design of a car from a painting that is older than america or europe or even china.
Besides every living or non living thing on this planet earth, is a copy cat of some form or another. Period no if, and or buts about it.
Losi did not reinvent the wheel with there buggy, they just COPIED what was already there and moved things around a bit.

I think it is in this site or neobuggy where there is a pic of a 20-30 something year old 1/8 scale that has 3 diffs in it. Front, center and rear. dog bones in the center and dog bone axles.
There are bound to be Humans with the same ideas as other humans, always will be.
And no i am not partial to xray or kyosho( in my parts I never seen them in person not even a Losi or a mugen MBX5. All i see around me is my RC8(only one) and the cheaper ofna's.
Heck we have no race tracks for hundreds of miles. closest is rome ,ny which is almost 4 hours away 1 way. so i wont race there to give me the chance to see more.
Just for the fun, losi copy a design that is 20 years old.
Note the awesome big bore shocks :P

Brand : Siccom
Model : Macho 4*4
Designed and manufactured in France 1987 ...

side mount driveshaft, motor in the middle of the chassis

Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

2nd pic you can see the brake rotor on the rear/front diff outdrives.
Race Vehicles-SC8 w/ GRP .28 Tuned,RC8T FT-Reedy VR 121 .21, 2035 pipe, RC8B-Reedy .21
http://www.jerrysrcraceway.com/
mgtmadness2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #54
Tech Regular

There was a lot of good idea in this one
Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #55
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

That's an awesome picture(s) Damn I wish some of those ideas were still used today
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #56
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntersDad View Post
Both cars have issues. We ran the 808 and it is a diff bearing eater. Ive seen the mp9 front end break a few times at the track with other drivers but im not sure why its so fragile. All cars have little issues that happen from time to time.
try some big kyosho shims before the bearings on pinions this will stop bearing eating and remove setscrew on f&r center shafts loosens up shafts to help with bearing wear, it definetly works
Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #57
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntersDad View Post

The new kits have spacers that go between the bearings in the front and rear diffs. No more bearing issues. You can buy the spacers seperately
Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #58
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
The new kits have spacers that go between the bearings in the front and rear diffs. No more bearing issues. You can buy the spacers seperately
(the trick is finding them) called xray of america about spacers they said have lhs order we have, did that day and no spacers on next shipped order. maybe next time and how new of a kit mine is two weeks old and no spacers

Last edited by lucky2; 01-08-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #59
Tech Master

808 diff problems must have been hit or mis. My kit came with what I was led to believe is shorter center drive shafts but I dont know for sure. I got mine a couple gallons after a friend got his.I have 7-8 gallons on mine now & he has a little more & neither of us have had pinion bearing problems. I just installed those bearing spacers & he has not yet. He runs stock diff bearings & I run 8x16 diff bearings.He has changed pinion bearings once & so have I. He runs X-RAY pinion bearings with the seal removed & about 4 gallons ago I switched to Avid dual shield bearings with the metal shield still on facing the pinion teeth & have only cleaned & lubed then once since then. We both run on a track with big air & niether land perfectly every time. So two pretty different setups & no bearing failures & he bought his kit on line,I'm guessing last july-aug & I bought mine local at a friends shop guessing again last aug-sep. Point is I wouldnt worry about your pinion bearings as I have heard online of bearing problems but have never actually met any one that has had bearing problems though thats only maybe 10 808 drivers at the most. Other than the outer wheel bearings pinion & diff bearings are just as durable now as the rest of the car. Just make sure all your screws go all the way through the nylon portion of the nylock nuts.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

i have own ever car made atleast once dont make get the list out.

the 808 is a very good car the parts never broke they exploed rear diffs. i loved the car but it got to the point i was wondering am i gone finsh this round am i gone make the main.

the mp9 just as good if not better for me the cars easer to drive and more senstice to change 1 mm of ride hight or droop you notice it on the xray i never did