R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Comparative analasys request: MBX6 vs MP9

Hi guys (and gals.)

I'm looking to procure either a Kyosho MP9 or a Mugen MBX6 very shortly, but before I do so I was wondering if I could defer to those among you who have had the opportunity to drive/work on both cars in order to answer a few specific questions.

If possible, I'd like to avoid this turning this into a "my car is better than your car" thread, as it's really not necessary: based on my own research, they're both solid contenders, each with their own minor quirks, just as every car has.

-Firstly, with regards to handling characteristics, which car is more forgiving in terms of handling?

-Second, which car is more forgiving with regards to setup? What I mean by that is which car will drive more consistently even if it doesn't have a "perfect" setup? I was told that the MBX5 really shined in that respect, but both the new K-car and Mugen are different beasts than their predecessors.

-With regards to maintenance, does one car have a significant advantage over the other in terms of accessibility of components?

-In terms of parts wear, and breakage notwithstanding, what are the components that need servicing/replacement most frequently on:

-MBX-6?
-MP9?

Oh, and lastly, would either of these cars be able to adapt the XRAY clutch bell?

Any input that you could contribute would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by captain america; 12-23-2008 at 05:40 PM.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Tech Master

...Anyone?

Slightly off-topic: merry Christmas and happy holidays to all. Hopefully Santa will have brought you more than socks and underpants
Old 12-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Well I can't comment on the MP9 as I've never owned one but I have put together a MBX6 and I just can't imagine the MP9 being that much better to justify the $300 price difference. I've ran many brands of cars in the last few years and Mugen was always at the top of the food chain as far as durability and excellent handling. Not knocking the MP9 as I've never owned one but several friends have had K cars in the past and they seemed to break just as much as everyone else. Since we have 6 inches of snow on the ground I can't give you a report on how it handles but with all the new cars being so similar with the lighter weights, and centralizing everything on the chassis I can't imagine there being that much of a difference.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
Tech Master

Hi Qmartin,

from what I've been able to gather, the breakages on the MP9 seem confined to the lower arms. I don't know about this newest car, but the previous Infernos seemed to have a characteristically hard (and subsequently brittle) material for the arms. There are also some minor issues with the hinge pin bushings, but again, not a matter of grave concern.

As for the Mugens, I've spoken to a few folks that have 5/5Rs, and when that car came out, it had a few problems with pivot-ball shafts & front arms. The new car also has a few minor problems (front hinge pin & pivot-ball failures, lack of a grease ring on the outdrives, etc.) but again, I see those things as minor.

Since my driving skills are not all they could be, I feel that I'd be better off with a car that is more forgiving (on he ground and in the air.) I had an 8ight for almost a year and a half, and for someone of limited driving skills like myself, it was like trying to ride a bicycle on ice with a rocket strapped to my bum
Old 12-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

captain america, great analogy. thanks for the laughs
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

take a look at the xray 808?
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
take a look at the xray 808?
Yes I did. I have one sitting on my display case which I have for sale, as it turns out; never got to wheel it for a number of reasons I won't bore you with here.

While the general consensus is that XRAY makes phenomenal quality car kits, it still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of parts support, and that's fundamentally why I'm parting with it. My local hobby shop CAN get parts for it, but virtually no one other than myself uses XRAY, so if I happen to need one part or just a few parts, I either have to wait and wait until the shop places the "minimum" order with the distributor, or eat the cost of the shipping of those few parts all to myself--either way, this is assuming the distributor actually has what I need in stock (when you run XRAY, you have to get used to the word "backordered.")

I tend to gravitate to Mugen and Kyosho because my LHS actually has parts on the shelves for them, especially Kyosho since they have a wide variety of products, and the LHS gets regular shipments for kits and parts. Failing that, there is infinitely more MUGEN & KYOSHO parts support to be found on the net.

I realize that the 808 is probably the superior car in terms of performance and toughness, but my skills aren't up to the challenge of maximizing its potential, and ultimately, parts will break and wear on any car, so it's just more sensible for me.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the problem ur having, I was deciding between those 3 cars. I went with the mp9. I've ran mugen and kyosho for many years racing on-road and when I started racing off-road about year ago I ran the mugen mbx5r and the truck. They were very good cars. The reason I chose the Kcar this time was because the chassis seems twist and get tweaked on the mugen, but both cars have there problems, I've had a lower arm break on me also, but I didn't put washers between the arms like many people posted to do. Over all I'm extremely happy with the car. Hop this helps.
Serpent, 748tq
bluer322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to lucky2
Default 808 on shelf

u have pm captamerica

Last edited by lucky2; 01-12-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: addition
lucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

On the price point, the MBX6 wins. Right out of the box though, with stock manual setup, the MP9 appears easier to drive. Also, the MBX6 uses carbon graphite parts and MP9 has aluminum with also lightweight aluminum pivot balls, etc., so there is some of the price increase right there. I can't say either is better, but I would pick the car you have better support for and parts availabilty. Both steer and jump way better than the older model, so there is no comparison other than parts quality from the past with those two brands.

If price is the factor, shoot for the MBX6 (newer kit). If price does not and you want more aluminum parts on your car out of the box, then go with the MP9.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
Tech Master

In reality, I think the Mugen looks like a better overall package for me, and not merely from a financial standpoint. Overall, it seems like Mugen parts are more readily available and reasonably priced, especially online. Also, the updated parts are already available for the BMX-6, owing to the fact that its few issues have already been addressed (and rather quickly, I might add.)

With Kyosho, the rear gearbox bearing issue looks to have been solved, as has the lower hinge-pin matter. What kinda nags me about Kyosho is that I don't think that you can actually replace the driveshaft pins, and have to replace the whole assembly when it wears.

Aluminium vs carbon: not really much of an issue for me, both will do the job, though if you can do the same job with less weight, all the better. In spite of all the carbon fiber goodies, I get the impression that the MBX-6 is probably a hair heavier than the MP9.

What I think is probably turning me more toward Mugen is that they at least have a dedicated forum (much like XRAY) where you can get set-ups and input directly from the team drivers, whereas Kyosho has no such provision, which I find unacceptable given their corporate caliber.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to lucky2
Default mbx6 vs mp9

captain america have u moved ur shelved 808 i have mbx6 used for fifteen minutes that im lookin to trade for 808
lucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Tree

Captain America,

PM sent

Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
Tech Master

Guys, the XRAY 808 is long gone; it was posted in the FOR SALE forum a while back and I opted to go with the MBX-6, at least for the time being.

The MP9 looks like an excellent car also, but as ezveedub pointed out, there is a significant price difference between the two, and owing to the fact that both cars probably have similar reliability, parts wear, breakage potential and overall performance, plus the fact that both come with competitive rims and tyres, I can't seem to find the motivation to pay an extra $300 for the MP9.